sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2023 4:25 pm  #1

Guess Who's Running For Toronto Mayor?

In a field with more than 60 candidates comes one that only grilled.cheese will be excited about:

Frank D'Angelo, Canadian Businessman to run for Mayor of Toronto

May 4, 2023 6:00 pm  #2

Re: Guess Who's Running For Toronto Mayor?

See SOWNY, March 23, 12:23am - Mayor D’Angelo?

May 4, 2023 6:03 pm  #3

Forgot all about that thread. Must be the apple juice...

May 4, 2023 6:08 pm  #4

Who isn't running for mayor?  Not one of them is worth spit.  Tory's legacy of failure.

May 4, 2023 6:13 pm  #5

This seals the deal .. Winner chicken dinner.

May 5, 2023 7:10 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

This is what brought me out of retirement     

Happy days are here again

georgio1

May 5, 2023 9:28 am  #7

Not without Barry Sherman to back it.  

Win or loose, I wonder if he will make a movie about the whole campaign process... ?

Last edited by ig (May 5, 2023 12:46 pm)

May 5, 2023 12:38 pm  #8

whew! for a second I thought it might be Kevin O'Leary. 😏

May 5, 2023 12:46 pm  #9

That Shark tanked.

May 5, 2023 12:48 pm  #10

Maybe he and Ben Johnson can give out Cheetah samples at his appearances.

(I do like the guy, just not for the mayor.  Imagine if it came down to him or MahMahlatteee?  Good god.)

RadioActive wrote:

In a field with more than 60 candidates comes one that only grilled.cheese will be excited about:

Frank D'Angelo, Canadian Businessman to run for Mayor of Toronto

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 5, 2023 8:05 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

That Shark tanked.

Haaaaaa!  That's terrible

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 5, 2023 8:22 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

That Shark tanked.

yep, he wouldn't mako a good mayor

May 12, 2023 5:39 pm  #13

Candidate registrations for the Toronto Mayoralty by-election officially closed at 2pm this afternoon.

102 candidates have formally registered to run for Mayor of Hogtown.  (former broadcaster Frank D'Angelo is still on the ticket).

3 candidates have at some point changed their mind, and have decided not to run in this by-election after all.

There are 5 registrations for 3rd party advertisers (3 corporations and 2 individuals)

Candidate debates and equal air time should be fun....

May 12, 2023 5:45 pm  #14

The ballot itself may be as long as "War & Peace."

May 12, 2023 6:01 pm  #15

What a sad, pathetic spectacle, in the country's largest, and most important city.  Thanks, John Tory, you were a lousy mayor, but if you'd kept it in your pants, the city wouldn't be out tens of millions, and in this predicament.  Nice 'legacy', Your Worship.

May 12, 2023 6:44 pm  #16

I am surprised that Post Media's Anthony Furey doesn't show up in the polls.  He has been a writer for the Sun for years, and I thought name recognition alone would get him into the top 7 or so.  Seems like those polled think John Tory was a good mayor.  Recent numbers had him with double the support of Olivia Chow, and many would vote for him again. After the election, wouldn't be surprised to see him resurface in media again..
More from the Toronto Sun....https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-even-though-polls-show-he-would-wipe-the-floor-in-mayors-race-john-tory-says-he-will-not-run

May 12, 2023 7:23 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

I am surprised that Post Media's Anthony Furey doesn't show up in the polls.  He has been a writer for the Sun for years, and I thought name recognition alone would get him into the top 7 or so.  Seems like those polled think John Tory was a good mayor.  Recent numbers had him with double the support of Olivia Chow, and many would vote for him again. After the election, wouldn't be surprised to see him resurface in media again..
More from the Toronto Sun....https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-even-though-polls-show-he-would-wipe-the-floor-in-mayors-race-john-tory-says-he-will-not-run

John Tory should never be seen in public in Toronto again without a bag over his head.

May 12, 2023 10:54 pm  #18

Most people who read the Sun do it for the sports, lifestyle, or entertainment, not the opinion columns. I doubt if most Sun readers have any idea who Anthony Furey is.

May 12, 2023 11:32 pm  #19

"Who reads the papers?"

May 13, 2023 7:45 am  #20

Hansa wrote:

Most people who read the Sun do it for the sports, lifestyle, or entertainment, not the opinion columns. I doubt if most Sun readers have any idea who Anthony Furey is.

I guess I am not most people. I do read the opinion columns and am very well aware of who Anthony Furey is. I won't vote for him. He has zero chance of getting elected. The one pole I saw that showed more than the top five candidates, he was sitting at 1%. If Chow gets elected, this city is f*ucked. All the money Council saves from reducing the police budget will be spent on things like changing "Offensive" street names. Then they will whine to the Ford Government that more money is required to run the city.

May 13, 2023 7:58 am  #21

Hansa wrote:

Maybe, but he is on Newstalk 1010, and AM 640 as a regular pundit.  He also is on CP24 and Global from time to time.  Anthony has been around Toronto as a news personality for a long time, so he does have a profile and should be familiar to a reasonable number of voters.  Possibly people just don't like the message?  

I think it would be reasonable that the small percent of people who take the time to vote in a municipal election are more likely to read the paper, listen to talk radio and watch tv news. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 13, 2023 8:00 am)

May 13, 2023 12:22 pm  #22

People in the media assume media personalities are better known, or more popular, than they are (not the same thing, granted). Witness the number of "high profile" local media people who bomb when the run for office. 

May 14, 2023 6:22 am  #23

I was impressed by Anthony Furey.  I like what he had to say!  The news is just focusing on the city councillors.  I'm hoping Anthony Furey gets out there and shows people who he is.  I, for one, do not want Olivia Chow to be our next mayor!!