sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2023 10:16 am  #1

Anwar Knight Returns

Nice to see Anwar back on the air, filling in at The Weather Network and CBC.
One of the smoothest talking presenters out there.
From his Twitter, https://twitter.com/AnwarKnight/status/1649768972357873665/photo/1

April 22, 2023 10:31 am  #2

Re: Anwar Knight Returns

Great news. Any idea what Tom Brown is doing?

April 22, 2023 10:31 am  #3

Wow!  With the passings of Vic and Don, I have to admit that title of this post scared me a bit.  Good to see it’s good news.  Whew!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 22, 2023 11:55 am  #4

Jody Thornton wrote:

With the passings of Vic and Don, I have to admit that title of this post scared me a bit ..

kind of like click bait .. 

April 22, 2023 12:14 pm  #5

I saw Anwar's first weather break on CBC News Network a few weeks ago and the news host welcomed him and mentioned that Anwar was someone many viewers would recognize.  The host also said it was great that Anwar was going to be with them doing the weather.  Anwar seemed genuinely surprised and touched by the welcome.  It was good to see him back.  

April 22, 2023 12:37 pm  #6

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 22, 2023 1:00 pm  #7

Jody Thornton wrote:

Wow! With the passings of Vic and Don, I have to admit that title of this post scared me a bit. Good to see it’s good news. Whew!

Yes, easily my biggest pet peeve with this board - the laziness of just a firstname + lastname, and compounded especially when, for a long time now, the board's convention to mention a death is in using just first and last name alone. I can't quite understand why someone wouldn't take an extra 3-4 seconds to have a more descriptive subject line, like "Anwar Knight Resurfaces On The Air" or "Anwar Knight Is Back - On The Weather Network". Even searching the archives later, it would be a more efficient search result. 

Maybe there's something to the clickbait theory.

April 22, 2023 1:42 pm  #8

AspectRatio wrote:

Yes, easily my biggest pet peeve with this board - the laziness of just a firstname + lastname, and compounded especially when, for a long time now, the board's convention to mention a death is in using just first and last name alone. I can't quite understand why someone wouldn't take an extra 3-4 seconds to have a more descriptive subject line, like "Anwar Knight Resurfaces On The Air" or "Anwar Knight Is Back - On The Weather Network". Even searching the archives later, it would be a more efficient search result. 

Maybe there's something to the clickbait theory.

It really bugs me as well.  I remember a few years ago, RA posted about this very topic when someone's post caused confusion about whether that person was alive or dead.  He strongly suggested we should use more descriptive subjects in our posts and reserve posting just the name for times when that person has died.

Not an hour after that post, one of the board stallwards, posted about someone using only their name in the title.  I was so tempted to call them out on it but then I thought better of it and kept my proverbial mouth shut.   

Life is too short to be a hall monitor.

April 22, 2023 1:46 pm  #9

On some forums, this is solved technologically - the subject line must be, say, three words or greater before the post is allowed, else a warning/error message is generated and it returns the poster back to their composition screen to fix it. That would eliminate some "legitimate" subject lines (like "Conspiracy theories") but solve the "firstname lastname" issue.

However, that's typically boards like a phpBB board or other platforms that are heavily customizable and where the administrator is a programmer. I don't know that Boardhost supports such customizations and that RA is a programmer by trade/skill.

April 22, 2023 4:53 pm  #10

Wasn’t Anwar on The Weather Network 20 years ago or so? Before he was on CFTO.

April 22, 2023 5:00 pm  #11

Anwar actually has a pretty interesting radio background, at stations like Energy 108. Here's a deep dive with the man if you're interested. https://www.torontomike.com/2020/02/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_586/

April 22, 2023 9:05 pm  #12

I'm not sure if Boardhost allows for an adjustment of a minimum of words in the subject header of a post, but I can try and check. (Their support for the last few months has been almost non-existent.) But just as a rule of thumb, I thought the Don Daynard post about his sad passing was perfect: his name and the dates instantly conveyed all the bad news you needed to know, while telling you exactly what it was about. 

I'd prefer people put more than just a name, but I have no real control over that. Just a strongly worded plea to have pity on your fellow board members and stop giving them heart attacks! Meanwhile, I've made a small adjustment to the title of this thread to spare anyone any worries. 

April 22, 2023 10:20 pm  #13

torontomike wrote:

Anwar actually has a pretty interesting radio background, at stations like Energy 108. Here's a deep dive with the man if you're interested. https://www.torontomike.com/2020/02/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_586/

Anwar used to do overnights on Zed 97.3 way back in the early 90's. He was really good. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 23, 2023 12:15 am  #14

I just remembered that I spotted Anwar doing a live hit during CFTO’s noon news at the Distillery Christmas Market in 2017. He seemed to be having a really good time, I didn’t speak to him but he seemed very genuine and fun to be around.

April 23, 2023 1:38 pm  #15

I remember Anwar on Z103-5 live at the CNE.   I also remember him on The Weather Network.   Hey, nothing wrong with Anwar returning to his weathered roots at TWN.  A job is a job and as Roger Christian from WECK told me and my friend Joe when we visited him at Star 102.5 - “ya gotta do what ya gotta do” to pay the bills.   I live by that quote and am never afraid to apply for a job that may be below the level I’ve worked because you have to still pay the bills.

I do miss Anwar and Tom at CTV Toronto (CFTO) even if I like the two weather ladies they have now.   I miss Tom’s energy and at Christmas for the kids gifts where he’d say “we’re building a toyyyyyy mountain”

April 23, 2023 7:26 pm  #16

Anwar.  One of the absolute best in the business.  Thank you, CBC, for seeing his talent.  The man fought cancer only to be fired from CTV.

Last edited by John D (April 24, 2023 9:33 am)