sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2023 9:35 pm  #1

Former CTV Canada AM & W5 Host Dies

Helen Hutchinson was one of the first faces seen on CTV's Canada AM, which she co-hosted with Norm Perry. And for a time, she also fronted the network's W5. But CTV wasn't her only place of employment in the media. She toiled for the CBC in various roles, and is said to be the first women hired to interview male players on Hockey Night In Canada.  

Broadcaster Helen Hutchinson Obit

March 13, 2023 9:12 am  #2

Re: Former CTV Canada AM & W5 Host Dies

Helen Hutchinson with CAN AM co-host Percy Saltzman and Dennis McIntosh reading news...

March 13, 2023 9:27 am  #3

Very sad.  I met her on occasion.  A true professional.  She and Norm Perry were a great team.  I didn't recognize Percy.  Remembered him from doing the weather for CBC TV.

Last edited by John D (March 13, 2023 9:29 am)

March 13, 2023 10:06 am  #4

Yes, Percy and his chalk on CBLT.  Percy also took his chalk with him when he had a run on Global News in the mid 70s.

The other weather icon on Toronto TV was Dave Devall with his glass board and grease markers. Great presentation for the viewers.

March 13, 2023 10:17 am  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

Yes, Percy and his chalk on CBLT.  Percy also took his chalk with him when he had a run on Global News in the mid 70s.

The other weather icon on Toronto TV was Dave Devall with his glass board and grease markers. Great presentation for the viewers.

March 13, 2023 2:27 pm  #6

Dave Davall is 92 now.

March 17, 2023 12:18 am  #7

They're often a bit behind, but here's Helen Hutchinson's official obit from The Globe & Mail. Some interesting details I never knew, including her battle with alcohol and depression. 

Broadcaster Helen Hutchinson was one of the best interviewers of her generation
(This article was not behind a paywall when I read it, and hopefully it will work for you, as well.)

March 17, 2023 1:07 am  #8

Whatever happened to Norm Perry?