sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2022 9:45 am  #1

Live & Local Morning Weekend Radio Returns To Toronto

It's been a long time since Dave Trafford did the only live private radio morning show on the weekends in the GTA over CFRB. That timeslot has now been reduced to a simulcast of CP24 that costs Bell nothing. So there was a huge opening for someone to re-establish the idea. And now, someone has. 

AM 640 will introduce a new weekend show called "Toronto This Weekend," concentrating on what's happening in the GTA on Saturday and Sunday. It will air from 7-10AM and be hosted by Maggie John. She's a host based in Hamilton, who's fronted a show called "Context: Beyond The Headlines," which deals with issues from a religious point of view, out of CTS. Hopefully, her new show will be more secular but that remains to be seen.

It explains why Corus may have cancelled its previous "A Word In Edgewise," which was a Roundtable-like program I quite liked on Sunday mornings.  

In addition, the Yonah Budd self-help show that airs weekend nights will now go national and Andre Proulx will co-host a show on the city's food and drink scene in a program called "Tasting Together." This is all in addition to the previously announced financial oriented talk show with Rubina Ahmed-Haq, that will hit the air Sundays at 5 PM.

Whatever the appeal of any of these, it certainly beats the endless rerolls that have - beyond Roy Green's afternoon network talker - been the hallmark of 640's weekend schedule for way too long.

December 2, 2022 8:05 am  #2

Re: Live & Local Morning Weekend Radio Returns To Toronto

Thanks for that information.  I will give a listen.  I miss a good morning show on the weekends.

December 3, 2022 10:32 pm  #3

I listened on Saturday. Not fair to judge on the first one. My only real complaints - they should take more phone calls since they're in live, they should shorten some of the segments (there's no need to talk to some guests for 30 minutes through two commercial breaks) and they should cut out the reruns.

On that last one, they replayed a segment of Dani Stover replaying a segment of Alex Pierson. That's a rerun of a rerun that was running a rerun. That, I would suggest, is not only a bit much it may just defy the laws of physics!

But an OK showing otherwise for a first effort - and it was nice to hear local news instead of the Canadian Press national cast at the top of each hour.  

The show returns Sunday at 7 AM for its second installment. 

December 4, 2022 6:47 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I listened on Saturday. Not fair to judge on the first one. My only real complaints - they should take more phone calls since they're in live, they should shorten some of the segments (there's no need to talk to some guests for 30 minutes through two commercial breaks) and they should cut out the reruns.

It's a 0.7 share station on a weekend morning. They would have taken calls if there were any.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 4, 2022 6:50 pm)

December 4, 2022 7:03 pm  #5

They did do one segment where they did take some calls. But it was very short and there was room for more. Still, it's a brand new show and listenership is low, so it's more than possible they didn't get a lot of them. I hope that changes. I like the idea of a live local talk show on Saturdays and Sundays. Whether this one lives up to my hopes is another story.   

December 5, 2022 12:10 am  #6

I have always felt that if you have a good host and a good guest you shouldn't need to take calls on most topics.  The exception would be if you're trying to survey listener reaction on a divisive issue.  

I don't care what Bob in Whitby thinks unless he is somehow affecting the issue.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (December 5, 2022 12:13 am)

February 3, 2024 9:27 am  #7

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I guess the live weekend morning radio experiment is over after months of having guest hosts (mostly Ben Mulroney).

640 is now airing "Toronto Today Weekend" with Grey Brady, and according to its web site, they will rerun John Oakley between 9 & 10 AM.  It will be reruns of Kelly Cutrara between 8 & 10 AM on Sunday.

February 3, 2024 10:17 am  #8

I did 15 years of weekend morning radio for CFRB (New Talk 1010) and I enjoyed every minute of it.  According to program director Steve Kowch, I enjoyed great ratings over those years.  Very proud of that show and the many guests that joined me.

Last edited by John D (February 3, 2024 10:18 am)

February 3, 2024 11:29 am  #9

I've always wondered why radio never really had morning-type shows on weekends, even back in the days when there were fewer options.

When 640 brought this weekend show on board, I didn't expect it but was pleasantly surprised. I hope it's a one-off for this weekend.

February 3, 2024 12:18 pm  #10

There's a pretty low ceiling for what's possible for ratings in that time-slot on 640/1010.

Instead, you'd have to create something that has sponsor appeal, perhaps as part of a bigger package. Even then, you'd probably just break even.

While improving off-peak dayparts will certainly improve listener sentiment and loyalty and help the station in the long-run, that's not an option if you're working for a company that has to explain itself to shareholders every three months.

February 3, 2024 3:24 pm  #11

Binson Echorec wrote:

I've always wondered why radio never really had morning-type shows on weekends, even back in the days when there were fewer options.

When 640 brought this weekend show on board, I didn't expect it but was pleasantly surprised. I hope it's a one-off for this weekend.

Commercial AM radio is largely targeted at commuters and there aren't many of those on the weekend. That's also why evening radio is largely in decline. Overnight radio was aimed at insomniacs and shift workers - especially when TV stations were still signing off by 1 am but with cable, all night TV and especially the internet there are many more options for anyone up at 2 am.

Last edited by Hansa (February 3, 2024 3:26 pm)

February 6, 2024 8:26 pm  #12

John D wrote:

I did 15 years of weekend morning radio for CFRB (New Talk 1010) and I enjoyed every minute of it.  According to program director Steve Kowch, I enjoyed great ratings over those years.  Very proud of that show and the many guests that joined me.

I was one of your Saturday morning listeners John. I did a overnight run in a tractor trailer delivering auto parts to company stores during that 15 years, then had a 90 minute drive home afterwards . Thanks for your years of service. 

February 6, 2024 9:21 pm  #13

I do not want to hear issues from "a religious point of view."
If that is what 640 is going to put on weekend mornings they might as well stick with the phony vitamin show with Dr. so-and-so.