sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2022 1:45 pm  #1

The Children May Revolt!!! Santa Gets Bounced To CP24

For the first time in memory, today's Toronto Santa Clause Parade isn't on regular over the air television.  Bell Media has the TV rights to the parade but because of the Grey Cup, World Cup, NFL Football, the big parade is bumped to CP 24 for today's broadcast.  I am not counting the COVID years when the parade was tape delayed from Canada's Wonderland and the pubic was nowhere to be seen.

Bell could have shown the parade later this afternoon on CTV2 from 4:30 to 6pm. Guess this was too risky since the Lions/Giants game at 1pm could run long and this would really mess things up. CTV doesn't want a "Hedi" situation!!

Looks like the kids across the country will need to wait a bit.  CTV will surely show the parade later in the month, and likely around Christmas. 

November 20, 2022 1:49 pm  #2

Re: The Children May Revolt!!! Santa Gets Bounced To CP24

Still miss the days of Faye "Wintario" Dance, John Dawe and Sandy Hoyt covering the parade on Global...

November 20, 2022 2:05 pm  #3

The camera work is making me dizzy

November 20, 2022 2:28 pm  #4

Looks like CP24 is doing live reports from the parade, and streaming it live on CP24.com.

November 20, 2022 3:34 pm  #5

The parade will be on CTV, just not on Sunday. The network has decided to show it on a delayed basis on Saturday, Dec. 3rd at 7 PM. Wouldn't want anything to get in the way of the ever present and lucrative NFL simulcast!

CTV’s Exclusive Broadcast of THE ORIGINAL SANTA CLAUS PARADE, December 3

November 20, 2022 4:05 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

The parade will be on CTV, just not on Sunday. The network has decided to show it on a delayed basis on Saturday, Dec. 3rd at 7 PM. Wouldn't want anything to get in the way of the ever present and lucrative NFL simulcast!

CTV’s Exclusive Broadcast of THE ORIGINAL SANTA CLAUS PARADE, December 3

Football is a great excuse not to be televised live, but do you even know the last time the Toronto Santa Claus Parade was televised live?? 
Honestly, I don't think it's a football thing (overall) 
I think it's more of an opportunity to get MORE commercials in when it's not live.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 20, 2022 4:43 pm  #7

The big blue vein in my forehead pulses whenever someone spells the jolly old elf's last night with an E at the end.

November 20, 2022 4:47 pm  #8

November 20, 2022 4:48 pm  #9

As Radiowiz notes, I don't think much of this is very new. I don't recall it being live OTA in years. It's always been shown on CTV and this year looks to be no different, other than it airing later than usual. 

November 20, 2022 5:58 pm  #10

Not ALWAYS on CTV, as the video with this post of Faye Dance and John Daw of Global hosting it.
I grew up where there was no CTV, just CBC, and recall watching the parade as a little gaffer.  I always got a kick out of the upside down clowns.

November 20, 2022 6:16 pm  #11

I remember when Santa Claus parades everywhere were televised. CFPL did London’s parade for many years, and even as recently as 20 years ago they showed Windsor’s parade. CKCO also did a bunch of parades around Southwestern and Central Ontario.

November 21, 2022 9:28 am  #12

paterson1 wrote:

For the first time in memory, today's Toronto Santa Clause Parade isn't on regular over the air television. 

As RA pointed out already, it will air December 3rd. I am looking forward to watching it then. 
I doubt kids care when it is televised. 

November 21, 2022 11:13 am  #13

In the late 50's/early 60's, my family always watched the parade live at the intersection of Ossington and Dupont. In those days, the parade started at Dupont and Dovercourt winding its way through the city ending at the Eaton's store downtown.

November 21, 2022 11:28 am  #14

mace wrote:

In the late 50's/early 60's, my family always watched the parade live at the intersection of Ossington and Dupont. In those days, the parade started at Dupont and Dovercourt winding its way through the city ending at the Eaton's store downtown.

In those days Eaton's was either the only sponsor, or indeed the MAIN sponsor of the event.
It was sad in the early 80's when the parade was almost cancelled as Eaton's pulled out.

November 21, 2022 12:27 pm  #15

For many years 1952-1981 the Toronto Eaton's Santa Claus Parade was broadcast live on CBC. Eaton's dropped their sponsorship in 1982.   The name was changed to The Toronto Santa Claus Parade and Global acquired the rights until 2009.  CBS also came up to Toronto every year to tape delay the big show.  They would run the parade on the US Thanksgiving Weekend.  CTV acquired the rights in 2010 and initially ran the parade later the same day after the early NFL football game.

Toronto has the honour of having the oldest Santa Claus Parade in the world, thanks to Eaton's when it was first was held in 1905.  The first parade was little more than Santa getting off of a train at Union Station that supposedly came in from the North Pole. Santa then walked up Yonge with a sack of toys and headed to the toy department at Eaton's.  Along the way hundreds of people followed Santa up Yonge St. to the store.