sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2022 11:08 pm  #1

No OTA Special Coverage Of The Municipal Elections In Toronto?

Monday is municipal election day in Ontario, with races in every riding deciding who will serve the public for the next four years. But it seems there's one decision that's already been made. Unlike in years past, it doesn't appear there will be any significant coverage of the results until at least the 11 PM news. 

A check of Zap2it.com shows the regular schedule on CBC, CTV, Global and City TV. The latter, of course, used to make a big deal about election nights, holding a political "party," including a guy serving drinks, a piano player and a political panel discussing the results. This year, when the polls close, viewers will be treated instead to an ABC simulcast of Bachelor In Paradise and an NBC duplication of Quantum Leap. 

My how times have changed. I suspect all of the networks will offer some sort of updates during commercial breaks, with promos to see more at 11. I'm not saying it's wrong or a bad decision, because these races - with the exception of a few - are pretty much unexciting this year. And it doesn't look like any of the Canadian stations are willing to give up that simsub money to stage their own coverage. 

Monday night's schedule:

I know 640 has already announced it will be going wall-to-wall, with coverage hosted by Alex Pierson back in her old timeslot for the night. I suspect CFRB will also be doing the same thing. 

But TV, with its fancy graphic packages and analysis? Apparently not this year. I'm sure CP24 and some of the all news stations will go whole hog on the thing. But I for one will miss the early predictions. the speeches and the old Peter Silverman trick of sampling and rating the food at the gatherings while waiting for a victory lap that became the hallmark of City coverage. 

I guess they're leaving this one to their Internet sites (Global is planning a web-only special on Monday night from 7:30 - 9 PM) and the cable stations because it's no longer worth the money. But there used to be a time not that long ago when this was a big deal. Those days, it seems, have been voted out. 

October 19, 2022 11:46 pm  #2

Re: No OTA Special Coverage Of The Municipal Elections In Toronto?

Technology has caught up...  most municipalities have used some form of vote tabulator or ballot scanner for the past 2 or 3 municipal elections.  Vote counts are available almost as soon as the polls officially close.

The days of the time consuming manual ballot counts are long gone....

October 19, 2022 11:59 pm  #3

Might get a 15% voter turnout. 

October 20, 2022 1:01 am  #4

Watch Toronto's Mayoral election coverage online with City TV: https://www.citytv.com/toronto/press/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 20, 2022 10:33 am  #5

Quite a difference from BC where we just had municipal elections last Saturday night. CBC, CTV, and BC1 (Global BC’s all-news cable channel) all had election specials with live results. In CBC’s case, they aired it in place of HNIC. In addition, CHEK Victoria had a live show for Vancouver Island.

All the specials from the network stations were covering races throughout the province, not just Vancouver and area. I saw the CBC and BC1 shows, they were both well done.

Granted, Saturday is a very different day of the week for television, but that’s quite a difference from how it’s being done in Ontario next week.

October 20, 2022 11:25 am  #6

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Quite a difference from BC where we just had municipal elections last Saturday night. CBC, CTV, and BC1 (Global BC’s all-news cable channel) all had election specials with live results. In CBC’s case, they aired it in place of HNIC. In addition, CHEK Victoria had a live show for Vancouver Island.

All the specials from the network stations were covering races throughout the province, not just Vancouver and area. I saw the CBC and BC1 shows, they were both well done.

Granted, Saturday is a very different day of the week for television, but that’s quite a difference from how it’s being done in Ontario next week.

I would think that the community cable channels like Rogers will be covering the election.  That's quite interesting the amount of interest in BC for their municipal elections and all of the networks broadcasting results. I wonder if there have been more acclamations here than normal?  In Waterloo Region where I live it is all about the school boards this time. In regular times school boards and trustees usually aren't on the radar at all. 

October 20, 2022 12:18 pm  #7

Paterson1:

Rogers applied for approval to shutter their Community Channels in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, New Market about eight years ago. Rogers stated that they would re-direct the budgets for the local community channels to support news production/programming on City TV Toronto. The CRTC approved Rogers request.   So, don't be looking to Rogers Cable 10 for municipal election night shows.

MJ:  Off hand, do you know what the voter turnout is in BC for municipal elections?  And was radio also providing election results coverage for the BC municipal election?

October 20, 2022 12:22 pm  #8

And of course City isn't providing election night coverage- or hosting the Ward by Ward debates Rogers used to produce. Another great decision by the CRTC.

October 20, 2022 12:52 pm  #9

It’s 2022, Everyone can get streaming news channels on their TVs and every other device now. Why not do those programs exclusively on those platforms, and go make some money on the main channel?

“But what about the old folks who don’t know how to use those fancy smart TVs?”
Maybe they’re not making shows for that demographic anymore…

October 20, 2022 1:38 pm  #10

Glen Warren wrote:

Paterson1:

Rogers applied for approval to shutter their Community Channels in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, New Market about eight years ago. Rogers stated that they would re-direct the budgets for the local community channels to support news production/programming on City TV Toronto. The CRTC approved Rogers request.   So, don't be looking to Rogers Cable 10 for municipal election night shows.

MJ:  Off hand, do you know what the voter turnout is in BC for municipal elections?  And was radio also providing election results coverage for the BC municipal election?

BC voter turnout was very low - below 30% in some instances.

CKNW was doing an election special, and CBC’s coverage was also carried live on CBC Radio.

October 20, 2022 1:55 pm  #11

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

BC voter turnout was very low - below 30% in some instances.

CKNW was doing an election special, and CBC’s coverage was also carried live on CBC Radio.

Interesting... that low of a percentage (30%) is inline with what we see here in Ontario. 

Just my opinion, but this is sad, when you think that approx. 65 to 70 percent of your municipal tax dollar is spent just on providing services and existing programs, as well as maintenance of infrastructure. I don't understand why people are not more involved in understanding the issues and engaging in the process of local government. Casting your vote, for or against, is an important part of that process.  

OK, my rambling has finished... time to go and take my meds...  

October 20, 2022 5:36 pm  #12

Glen Warren wrote:

Paterson1:

Didn't know they had dropped all the community channels and programming in Toronto and area.  KW/Guelph/Stratford and Brantford still have community channels and programming through Rogers.  In these communities they have been covering the candidate debates and all will have municipal election coverage on Monday evening. 

Guess this only leaves CP24 for television election coverage in the GTA, possibly something on CTV and CBC news networks.   It will be interesting to see if any of the OTA networks will do some prime time breaks with updates during commercial breaks.  It's not like they are sold out these days, drop some of the promos and have some 60 or 90 second election breaks.  They could so do some crawls at the bottom of the screen. 

October 20, 2022 7:02 pm  #13

Rogers Ignite channel 100 will be covering the Toronto municipal election. 
I guess I'm stuck with Citynews.ca since I still have the grandfathered Rogers Legacy cable.
They could have put it on channel 01 for the Legacy customers but Nooooooooooooo.....

October 20, 2022 7:11 pm  #14

Totally off topic, but is anyone else completely and utterly sick of the robocalls from candidates looking for your vote? I must have had eight of them just today alone and weeks and weeks and weeks of them bugging me, always at the worst time. They're recordings but I can tell them this - if you called me at any time over the past month, you are not getting my vote on Monday. Period.

Politicians are annoying enough. You don't get to irritate me in my own living room for an entire month.

Now back to your regularly scheduled radio board...

October 21, 2022 6:48 am  #15

Despite what the listings say, it appears CBC Toronto may be doing some TV coverage after all. The announcement is a bit vague as to whether this is strictly online, on radio, on TV or all three. But it looks like their special, whichever medium it is, will start at 7:45 PM Monday, hosted by Chris Glover. Jill Dempsey anchors on Radio 1. See how you interpret this rather poorly written press release below. I think it means online only but all it says is "Tune into CBC News Toronto." 

CBC Toronto Election Night Plans

October 21, 2022 7:21 am  #16

RadioActive wrote:

is anyone else completely and utterly sick of the robocalls from candidates looking for your vote? I must have had eight of them just today alone 

You are obviously being harassed because of your prestige & stature as SOWNY moderator.     Please name the eight different candidates.     This is a topic Jerry Agar could get his teeth into for an hour or so

October 21, 2022 7:27 am  #17

Considering all the people running for mayor and city council, I think I'm lucky they didn't all hire these PR firms to make the calls! But Monday can't come soon enough.

October 21, 2022 7:57 am  #18

CHCH TV will present a two hour election night special, hosted by Taz Boga.

October 21, 2022 8:13 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Totally off topic, but is anyone else completely and utterly sick of the robocalls from candidates looking for your vote? I must have had eight of them just today alone and weeks and weeks and weeks of them bugging me, always at the worst time. They're recordings but I can tell them this - if you called me at any time over the past month, you are not getting my vote on Monday. Period.

Politicians are annoying enough. You don't get to irritate me in my own living room for an entire month.

Now back to your regularly scheduled radio board...

The only robo call I received was from Mike Colle who is the representative for Eglinton-Lawrence. His are the only election signs I have seen. I have no idea who is running against him. No mayoralty signs seen either.

October 21, 2022 8:16 am  #20

You are lucky. I've been besieged by them, at least 6-8 almost every day for weeks. My fault for keeping a landline, I suppose.

Half the time, I no longer answer. But they call at lunch and dinner time, because they know that's when most people are likely to be home. It's also the most inconvenient time, not that they care. Most of them are recordings, so you can't even tell them to stop. 

October 21, 2022 8:57 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

You are lucky. I've been besieged by them, at least 6-8 almost every day for weeks.

You're supposed to press * 3 times when they call. It messes up their system. 

October 21, 2022 9:01 am  #22

Worth a shot, although now I mostly just don't answer.

October 21, 2022 9:12 am  #23

RadioActive wrote:

You are lucky. I've been besieged by them, at least 6-8 almost every day for weeks. My fault for keeping a landline, I suppose.

Half the time, I no longer answer. But they call at lunch and dinner time, because they know that's when most people are likely to be home. It's also the most inconvenient time, not that they care. Most of them are recordings, so you can't even tell them to stop. 

Use these cordless phones on your landline.  They have a call blocker feature.  Works great.  No more robo calls from politicians, duct cleaners, credit card scams, or the CRA, but your favourite aunt can still get through

https://www.vtechphones.com/store/pd/4370/4-Handset-Expandable-Cordless-Phone-with-Super-Long-Range-Bluetooth-Connect-to-Cell-Smart-Call-Blocker-and-Answering-System-IS8151-4

October 21, 2022 9:14 am  #24

Actually, I have and use Call Block. The problem is the memory is full!

October 24, 2022 7:56 am  #25

I've heard John Moore repeatedly tell listeners to "join us tomorrow morning for all the election results."

What that statement tells me is that the station appears to have no intention of covering the vote results at all on Monday night, beyond occasional top of the hour newscasts. What a comedown for what was once known as "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice."

Meanwhile, 640 is doing a special results show hosted by Alex Pierson. I never thought I'd see the day when 640 would "out-news" CFRB. But here we are. 

October 24, 2022 10:40 am  #26

CBC Radio One will be presenting an Election Special at 8 PM with Jill Dempsey hosting. In addition, CFZM 740 will
also be presenting special election coverage at 8 PM hosted by Libby Znaimer & Marisa Lennox.  Somebody should
tell Bell and John Moore that "tonight it's news....tomorrow morning it's history". Too bad that CFRB's great heritage is
slowly being destroyed.

October 24, 2022 5:45 pm  #27

AM 740 - a station I wouldn't necessarily have thought of when it comes to election coverage - is doing a results show hosted by Libby Znaimer and Marissa Lennox, with ex-mayoral candidate "Furious" George Smitherman doing analysis. Starts at 8 PM.

AM 740 Election Coverage

October 24, 2022 8:30 pm  #28

AM 740's coverage is pretty good.  Their sales department did a job of selling the coverage, lots of ads.
Citynews 680 one of the first to declare John Tory's victory.  

October 24, 2022 8:36 pm  #29

rje1 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

AM 740's coverage is pretty good.  Their sales department did a job of selling the coverage, lots of ads.

It's the same commercial inventory that would be airing any evening.

Yep. Unless you heard any specific sponsorship, these ads would have aired anyway.

And Moses continues to spend money that doesn't return.

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 24, 2022 8:37 pm)

October 24, 2022 8:40 pm  #30

rje1 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It's the same commercial inventory that would be airing any evening.

Guess they scheduled them different.  Last time I listened to Robbie Lane's evening show they didn't seem to have as many ads or long commercial breaks.