sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2021 11:22 am  #1

CRTC Approves New Religious Station At 105.3 FM In Scarborough

You wouldn't think there's any more room for anything on the FM dial in the GTA, but the CRTC has decided to squeeze in at least one more. The Commission has approved a licence for an entity known as the International Harvesters for Christ Evangelistic Association for a station at 105.3 FM. 

It won't be much of the power of Christ that commands you, though - the religious formatted station will only have an ERP of 150 watts. (Sometimes you have to wonder why bother with such a small range.) So what to expect when it gets on air?

"International Harvesters indicated that it would broadcast 126 hours of programming each broadcast week on the proposed station, of which 84 hours would be devoted to local music and spoken word programming. The remaining 42 hours would be devoted to non-local programming in the form of Bible programs to be produced in Canada and intended for numerous Christian stations across the country.

"It would also broadcast interviews as well as programs offering different views on religion and matters of public concern, featuring teachings from over a dozen world religions, including Buddhism, Judaism and Islam."

There are concerns the newcomer could interfere with an existing outlet in Uxbridge, Frank Torres' CIUX, which is right next door at 105.5. The CRTC admits there could be interference but uses this bizarre logic to explain why it decided to grant permission, anyway. 

"...[Regarding the] proposed use of 105.3 MHz, the Commission notes that there are no remaining FM frequency allotments available in Scarborough. Further, should the application be approved, no drop-in frequencies have been identified that would be capable of providing coverage to Scarborough that is similar to that proposed by International Harvesters.

"However, given that the frequency 105.3 MHz is currently not available in surrounding radio markets, including the Toronto market, the Commission considers that International Harvesters’ use of that frequency for the proposed station would have a minimal impact on the availability of frequencies in those markets."

I often wonder what's so special about Scarborough that it now has two stations of its own. (The ethnic outlet CJRK at 102.7 is the other one.) AFAIK, Etobicoke does not have a self-assigned radio station. Neither does Leslieville, The Beaches or East York.

I suppose it could be argued North York has CHHA, that mostly all Spanish station at 1610. And CHRY, the York University station now known as Vibe 105.5, is based in the city. But neither one really represents the area so much as simply having studios there. 

The new Scarborough outlet is supposed to be up and running no later than April 28, 2023. Canadian Radio News reports the call letters will be CKSC.

CRTC Decision

April 28, 2021 12:59 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Approves New Religious Station At 105.3 FM In Scarborough

Wouldnt just an online streaming station be better for this situation?  

"=12pxIt won't be much of the power of Christ that commands you, though"  -  =12pxthat is hilarious 

April 28, 2021 1:19 pm  #3

markow202 wrote:

Wouldnt just an online streaming station be better for this situation?  

I actually had the same thought. It's a non-profit anyway, so I assume they'll be relying on donations and charity to keep going. The tithes that bind, so to speak. But what's the point of spending all the money that needs to be doled out to get this thing up and running when so few will likely listen - and even fewer will be able to actually get it? 

Even if it does come in, I can't imagine there won't be tremendous interference from adjacent stations at 105.1 and 105.5. I just tuned into 105.3 and while admittedly there's no signal there yet, the crossover between the other nearby frequencies is already apparent. But admittedly, I'm not in Scarborough, so who knows how well it will break through there? 

Ironically, I'm guessing there will be more listeners on the Internet in the end than they'll get over-the-air.

April 28, 2021 1:48 pm  #4

No signal on 105.3? Not even CFCA Kitchener?

April 28, 2021 2:05 pm  #5

Can't get that OTA where I am. And it's not really the GTA, so I didn't count it. 

Circa 1969:

April 28, 2021 3:43 pm  #6

mace wrote:

No signal on 105.3? Not even CFCA Kitchener?

Its very weak even in the west end from Kitchener (used to be much stronger) so doubt it would be a problem.

April 28, 2021 3:53 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Can't get that OTA where I am. And it's not really the GTA, so I didn't count it. 

Circa 1969:

CFCA does put out a rather strong signal; it always came in strong in the west end of London where I grew up. Probably doesn't come in as strongly in parts of Toronto due to adjacent channel interference from stations on 105.1 (CHOQ) and 105.5 (CHRY) in Toronto. Though those are not flamethrowers by any means.

April 28, 2021 5:24 pm  #8

So much for a Scarborough online radio station going FM.
They skyrocket student fees to run the station every year, promising to go FM but they never do.
https://thevarsity.ca/2016/09/19/fusion-radio-seeks-200-per-cent-levy-increase-in-referendum/
https://thevarsity.ca/2016/10/17/fusion-radio-referendum-passes/ 

WHAT A GREAT SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 28, 2021 5:25 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 28, 2021 5:31 pm  #9

I live in Scarborough, so I just tried 105.3 on a good quality radio and I was able to pick up a weak signal from CFCA. I'm no expert on the technical aspects of such things, but that does make me wonder if this could cause any interference for a station with such low power -- especially given that I'm in a pretty central location, just southeast of the Town Centre. 

April 28, 2021 7:21 pm  #10

When I was out doing a bit of grocery shopping this evening [Avenue/Wilson area]  I checked out CFCA. Moderately listenable signal with some static. Not listenable enough for the average listener, but being a DXer, I have a higher tolerance for noise/static/interference.

April 28, 2021 7:53 pm  #11

Of course, there's already Christian music on 1250 and 1380 with much better signals (especially 1250).    I know, they are on AM, and who listens to AM?

April 28, 2021 7:56 pm  #12

I lived a big chunk of my life up on the Bruce Peninsula. There was no local FM at all. DX was the only game in town. CFCA was one of the more reliable ones, but not always. Sometimes I would swing the antenna around and get some of the Michigan stations from across Lake Huron.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 18, 2022 9:39 pm  #13

This religious station, which was awarded a licence more than a year ago, will apparently finally sign on - albeit under a new owner. The outlet will continue to be at 105.3, although it won't be very strong so as not to interfere with existing or adjacent stations in the area. 

It's the kind of story you don't hear very often - the CRTC originally awarded the licence to a group with the unwieldly name of "International Harvesters for Christ Evangelical Association Inc." But because of financial difficulties, they had a literal failure to launch. 

It took a while, but another would-be owner applied to take up the abandoned licence (and two others in Kamloops, B.C. and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) and on Tuesday, the CRTC confirmed this new group, United Christian Broadcasters Media Canada, could take over all three of them. (They already run several stations out east.)

The Scarborough outlet won't get out very far - it's ERP will only be 150 watts. I suspect many areas of the city won't be able to get it, but to me, it's just more clutter on a dial that's already too noisy and overcrowded. But then I'm not especially religious, so perhaps that somewhat clouds my judgment.

This new group has until October 18, 2024 to get a signal on air. 

CRTC Decision

October 19, 2022 3:27 pm  #14

Just an added note: United Christian Broadcasters Media Canada
Is known simply as UCB Radio. 
Their station in Belleville might be a sample of what they would like to do for Scarborough, maybe? 
Belleville Ontario station:  https://www.ucbcanada.com/stations/belleville

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 19, 2022 3:36 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.