sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2022 8:56 pm  #1

Canada's Answer To The U.S.' "Dark Shadows" Turns Up On YouTube

Does anyone else remember a bizarre Canadian-made TV show called "Strange Paradise?" It was an alternative to ABC's Gothic horror soap opera "Dark Shadows," and was about the owner of a huge estate that had been taken over by one of his dead (and very evil) relatives. 

In keeping with the times back then (the early 70s) it was made on the extreme cheap with some very odd actors who would have chewed the scenery if it hadn't been so flimsy. I remember coming home from school and watching this thing, and at the time I really got into it. Looking at it now, I'm not sure why, but it's a pleasant memory of a show that's been long forgotten by most. 

Although in the world of Jean Paul Desmond and his Maljardin estate, nothing stays dead forever. 

It appears someone has put every episode on YouTube, if you remember it and want to see if it's somehow stood the test of time. 

Strange Paradise on YouTube

October 3, 2022 8:18 am  #2

Re: Canada's Answer To The U.S.' "Dark Shadows" Turns Up On YouTube

I remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows. The main character , Barnabas Collins was played by Jonathan Frid, from Hamilton Ont. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Frid

Last edited by mic'em (October 3, 2022 8:18 am)

October 3, 2022 10:01 am  #3

Can't wait to check this show out, thanks RA.

This could probably never happen because of pesky distribution rights but would love to have a channel or streaming platform celebrate the month of October and Halloween with a toothsome marathon of nothing but every vampire movie ever made, shown chronologically, all the versions of Dracula from Nosferatu to Gary Oldman, The Vampire Hunters, The Lost Boys, both versions of Stephen King's Salem's Lot, Anne Rice's flick with the dreadful miscasting of Tom Cruise as Lestat, and on and on, although they'd better give the Twilight series a miss.

October 3, 2022 11:20 am  #4

mic'em wrote:

I remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows. The main character , Barnabas Collins was played by Jonathan Frid, from Hamilton Ont. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Frid

For the first several years, Dark Shadows was only available via WOKR ch 13 Rochester. WKBW opted for the very successful Commander Tom Show which originally aired weekdays from 3:30pm-5pm

October 3, 2022 11:33 am  #5

You're right. I always wanted to see Dark Shadows but Channel 7 refused to show it. As a result, it was never really on my radar. But I heard from some in the States that it was pretty good. By the time it did make it to air here, it had been on so long, the thread of the story was already lost.

I don't think WKBW ever showed Turn-On, either. That was the infamous show by the creator of Laugh-In that was cancelled 15 minutes into its debut episode, after many ABC affiliates refused to show it and some viewers flooded the switchboards of those who did with angry complaints. Talk about one and done. Or in this case, half of one!

October 3, 2022 12:28 pm  #6

I think ABC threatened to pull their affilliation from WKBW if they didn't start to air Dark Shadows. The network was not pleased that for years ch 7 would substitute a late movie for their talk show competition to Johnny Carson. For some reason, ch 7 also never ran American Bandstand on Saturdays.

October 3, 2022 1:29 pm  #7

mace wrote:

I think ABC threatened to pull their affilliation from WKBW if they didn't start to air Dark Shadows. The network was not pleased that for years ch 7 would substitute a late movie for their talk show competition to Johnny Carson. For some reason, ch 7 also never ran American Bandstand on Saturdays.

Hahaha, I remember that WKBW didn't run American Bandstand, and it really bugged me.  I would see promos for the show but it never was on channel 7. This was odd since WKBW radio was in it's prime as a top 40 station.  I had to watch CKCO's Canadian Bandstand instead which I think was on around the same time on the weekend.  Did you know the first host of Canadian Bandstand in 1958 was Wally Crouter?  Also CB was mixing in videos of songs (what was available) with the kids dancing in the early 70's.  A few CTV affiliates picked up CB which had a good run from 1958 to 1974, all produced at CKCO.  

Didn't WGR bail early on the Monkees as well?  I seem to remember that the show was dropped on channel 2 weeks before the series ended.  Near the end the show had gone downhill and became sort of weird with little effort from the performers or producers.  Almost seemed as though they were bored doing the series and just wanted to fulfill their contract.  I remember that CTV completed the series but I am sure that WGR dropped it weeks earlier. 

October 3, 2022 2:22 pm  #8

Looking at some of the clips on Youtube, the show was not really cheap.  Some of the sets were fairly elaborate, and it was on five days per week, so if anything Strange Paradise would have been a fairly expensive undertaking.  The acting from some of the performers is a bit over the top but then again same could be said for Dark Shadows. 

Dark Shadows on ABC was in B&W for the first two seasons and became a colour production in August 1967.  The program wrapped up in April 1971.  Both Strange Paradise and Dark Shadows ran in the afternoon.  CBC scheduled Strange Paradise on weekday afternoons, and broadcast all 195 episodes in the series from October 1969 to July 1970.  The program also was syndicated in the US during this time.  

October 3, 2022 2:42 pm  #9

WGR didn't carry the Tomorrow Show, at least not for its final few seasons, and didn't carry Late Night with David Letterman for the first few months. 

October 3, 2022 2:45 pm  #10

Hansa wrote:

WGR didn't carry the Tomorrow Show, at least not for its final few seasons, and didn't carry Late Night with David Letterman for the first few months. 

The first one used to drive me crazy. (Not a long drive, as many here know!) 

I remember the night Tom Snyder was interviewing Charles Manson, one of the best things the Tomorrow show host ever did. It was riveting, as Manson tried to take him down some bizarre roads, but he refused to let him get away with it and kept steering him back to his crimes.

It wasn't on WGR, but luckily in those analog days, WICU from Erie was coming in that night and was I able to see that historic broadcast there. 

[Update: I should have known that it would be on YouTube.]

Last edited by RadioActive (October 3, 2022 2:47 pm)