sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 16, 2022 4:51 pm  #1

Poll: Will You Watch The Queen's Funeral Coverage?

It's a six-hour marathon and starts on some stations at 4 AM, thanks to the time difference between here and England. That's a long show by any measure, especially if you're in the crew or the on-air staff at a TV or radio station. And I'm pretty sure there will be no commercials, so no chance for any breaks.  

What that in mind, here's the poll question: 

Will You Watch Or Listen To The Queen's Funeral Coverage?

September 16, 2022 8:32 pm  #2

Re: Poll: Will You Watch The Queen's Funeral Coverage?

https://youtu.be/ZneCY7bWxQE

Planning on listening to John Moore and the Moore In The Morning team as well as watching the official YouTube channel of the Royal Family. Above is a link.

Does this mean Moore In The Morning will be starting an hour earlier, at 4 a.m. ?

Also going to find Lisa LaFlamme and the CityNews broadcast on my Amazon Prime.

FWIW Amazon Prime also has a free trial right now if you'd like to check it and the Tolkien show out.

And this tweet says their coverage with Lisa starts at 5am and I guess that means they will be joining the funeral service already in progress?
https://twitter.com/City_tv/status/1570819836686790661?t=b5jN_EvvYCOae_loMGrz5A&s=19

Last edited by betaylored (September 16, 2022 9:11 pm)

September 16, 2022 11:59 pm  #3

The funeral procession begins at 5:45 and the service starts at 6.

September 17, 2022 10:35 am  #4

There wasn't a "No, Canada needs an elected head of state" so I chose "No, it's way too long".

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

September 17, 2022 9:16 pm  #5

I will watch on BBC

September 17, 2022 9:50 pm  #6

I would have checked "No, I've seen more than enough already."

September 18, 2022 8:37 am  #7

No. I'm not interested.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 18, 2022 8:58 am  #8

I think this important story has been way overblown on the media and it will cumulate in this final 4-10 hour (depending on which station you pick) cascade of coverage on Monday. But there is one thing I'm curious about - how do you fill that many hours on radio? 

The TV side is easy - all the eye-catching solemn pomp and pageantry that accompanies this kind of sad service will be enough to fill a screen for hours. But what do you do on radio while there's marching and music going on and no one can see it? Covering the homilies, eulogies, the choirs and the tributes will be OK, but this is likely to be so visual that to ask even seasoned experts to fill all that air time with verbiage describing what no listener can see seems almost impossible to me. 

And how do you throw to commercials or traffic in the middle of a morning drivetime funeral?

I guess we'll find out on Monday. But if you're doing this on an audio-only medium, I suspect there's going to be an awful lot of filler going on. And that generally does not make for very riveting radio. 

September 18, 2022 6:07 pm  #9

I wouldn't think many will be listening to the radio for the funeral.  Filler or even trivia can be quite interesting, as long as the hosts know what they are talking about.  Who is doing 10 hours of radio coverage, other than maybe BBC?  When the marching and music is happening the commentators will likely let the sound do the work after they have passed along who is playing or marching, and give a little background information on the group.

Again, has the coverage been overblown?  You can make a case for either side.  However, billions of people around the world will be tuning in tomorrow. So that alone makes it hard to say if the coverage of the Queen's passing has been over the top.

The actual funeral service for the Queen in Westminster Abby will be about one hour.  

Last edited by paterson1 (September 18, 2022 6:20 pm)

September 18, 2022 10:34 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

I wouldn't think many will be listening to the radio for the funeral.  Filler or even trivia can be quite interesting, as long as the hosts know what they are talking about.  Who is doing 10 hours of radio coverage, other than maybe BBC?  When the marching and music is happening the commentators will likely let the sound do the work after they have passed along who is playing or marching, and give a little background information on the group.

Again, has the coverage been overblown?  You can make a case for either side.  However, billions of people around the world will be tuning in tomorrow. So that alone makes it hard to say if the coverage of the Queen's passing has been over the top.

The actual funeral service for the Queen in Westminster Abby will be about one hour.  

One of the UK's biggest commercial radio operator, Global, is airing the funeral on all their radio networks.

September 19, 2022 6:14 am  #11

Did City TV simply pick up the BBC feed? I was hearing British sounding announcers in the 5am hour and not anyone potentially from City TV or BT or whatever...

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 19, 2022 6:18 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 19, 2022 6:40 am  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

Did City TV simply pick up the BBC feed? I was hearing British sounding announcers in the 5am hour and not anyone potentially from City TV or BT or whatever...

No, they have British/royal experts as part of the panel.

September 19, 2022 6:45 am  #13

Compared to recent debates about J. Derringer and L. Laflamme's funerals, this one is quite watchable

September 19, 2022 11:01 am  #14

I was up early so I listened to CBC Radio on and off. They're commentator was historian Carolyn Harris who did a good job. The tone was somewhat monarchist (though there was some discussion  of Barbados and republican sympathies in the Caribbean) but that's not really a surprise.

September 19, 2022 12:50 pm  #15

The sound quality on City was poor whenever I tuned them in this morning.  And you could hear another network's audio underneath.  Almost sounded like Lisa was sitting right beside someone else doing their report.

CNN surprisingly also had some audio problems.  Their sound quality wasn't as good as NBC, CBS, CTV or BBC.  Omar Sachedina and their various reporters did a good for CTV in my opinion.  I thought their coverage was among the best.  Worst audio was on CHCH.

BBC was well done and I guess they were the host broadcaster.  Fantastic camera shots throughout.

September 19, 2022 1:29 pm  #16

I started watching CBC and their were times when I won't to say shush to those reporting.  Don't they have earpieces so they can be told when something is happening and turn it back to either the host or just the video.  In the end I turned to BBC World News.  CBC's banner was too big, placed too high and was too distracting.  BBC rightly had no banner, no bug and very limited commentary until after the service.  Even then it was just quiet interjections.   Would have loved to watch a Canadian feed but it felt like they had to brand it.  BBC did it correctly IMHO.