sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2022 10:44 am  #1

Politically Incorrect Songs

I've just been listening to the Sinatra Channel on SXM. They just played one of his recordings I've never heard before. I don't even know the title. But part of the lyrics was "Romance in the cigarette glow." That sort of makes it out of date or out of step with today's way of life.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 6, 2022 11:07 am  #2

Re: Politically Incorrect Songs

If you recall, the same thing happened with the Christmas classic "Baby It's Cold Outside" in 2018, before some stations reconsidered and put it back on their holiday playlists. 

In that same vein, we were posting stories here on the weekend about the annual Jerry Lewis Labour Day Telethon. Imagine seeing this ad for a separate TV fundraiser today. The "R" word would most definitely NOT be in the copy. This one appeared in the Albany, N.Y. edition of TV Guide back in 1975.

September 6, 2022 11:12 am  #3

Wow.

September 6, 2022 4:20 pm  #4

A couple of years ago Sirius-XM had a Johnny Carson channel, replaying monologues and guest interviews. By today's standards, many of the jokes and comments were very politically incorrect. Such were the times.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 6, 2022 5:24 pm  #5

No kidding. Even this august forum is not immune. I cribbed one MacLean & MacLean joke and some people lost their minds.

September 6, 2022 5:26 pm  #6

There are a number of songs that wouldn't stand scrutiny today. "A Single Girl" and "Born A Woman," both by Sandy Posey, come to mind. The tunes each talk about how a woman cannot survive without a man. Not gonna fly today!

Another one is the novelty tune "My Boomerang Won't Come Back," by Charlie Drake, which was banned by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in 2015 over accusations it was racist. 

You could put together a long list of lyrics, where sensibilities have changed over the years.

Acceptable then.

Verboten now. 

September 6, 2022 6:13 pm  #7

A friend recently saw Ringo Starr live, and he did not do one of his biggest hits Your 16.   We both wondered if this was because it might be considered politically Incorrect for a singer in his 80's singing about a teenager.   I certainly hope not.  Thoughts ?

September 6, 2022 6:51 pm  #8

https://youtu.be/Dax_tnZRExc

Came so close, pun intended, to playing this on-air during an afternoon show, but decided I didn't want to get eighty-sixed by my PD.

September 6, 2022 7:06 pm  #9

Then, there's the Cole Porter classic, Lets Fall In Love (birds do it bees do it)

"Folks in Siam do it. Think of Siamese twins."

Now it would have to say. "thik of conjoined twins."

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

September 6, 2022 7:38 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

Came so close, pun intended, to playing this on-air during an afternoon show, but decided I didn't want to get eighty-sixed by my PD.

You made the right call...LOL!

September 6, 2022 7:44 pm  #11

Don't forget Ay-hab the Ay-rab.

Ginger Rogers in Flying Down to Rio singing "Music Makes Me". Listen to the lyrics carefully. It was just before the Hays Code.

Regarding My Boomerang Won't Come Back, I've read that there are people of Maori descent who think the song is a hoot, even without the modified "blue in the face" lyrics.

September 6, 2022 8:34 pm  #12

Media Observer wrote:

betaylored wrote:

re: Python's Contractual Obligation Album...

from Wiki:

Two tracks on the album caused controversy when first released.The lead track, "Sit on My Face" was sung to the tune of "Sing as We Go", a song made famous by Gracie Fields, and reportedly its inclusion led to legal threats against the Python team for copyright infringement over the melody.[4] Nonetheless, the song was retained on the album and had already been lip-synched by Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones as the opening of the second half of Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl, shortly before the album's release (the song opens the heavily edited 1982 film version). The concert film also features Terry Jones twice miming to "Never Be Rude to an Arab". In 2014, "Sit on My Face" was featured in the 2014 Monty Python performance reunion concert series, Monty Python Live (Mostly), expanded into a production number.

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 6, 2022 8:37 pm)

September 6, 2022 9:06 pm  #13

Amazing how what's considered "politically incorrect" has changed over the years.

You may remember Janis Ian's first single, "Society's Child" - about a white girl dating a black man - was banned on many radio stations in 1967, especially in the U.S. south, as being too controversial. Today, nobody would bat an eye - or in this case, an ear. 

September 6, 2022 9:15 pm  #14

Glen Warren wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

betaylored wrote:

from Wiki:

Two tracks on the album caused controversy when first released.The lead track, "Sit on My Face" was sung to the tune of "Sing as We Go", a song made famous by Gracie Fields, and reportedly its inclusion led to legal threats against the Python team for copyright infringement over the melody.[4] Nonetheless, the song was retained on the album and had already been lip-synched by Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones as the opening of the second half of Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl, shortly before the album's release (the song opens the heavily edited 1982 film version). The concert film also features Terry Jones twice miming to "Never Be Rude to an Arab". In 2014, "Sit on My Face" was featured in the 2014 Monty Python performance reunion concert series, Monty Python Live (Mostly), expanded into a production number.

Finland, Finland, Finland....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baHsoEAAMZU

September 7, 2022 12:23 am  #15

The Pussycat Song
https://youtu.be/mrGmYlZtNDg

Last edited by Hansa (September 7, 2022 12:24 am)

September 7, 2022 9:49 am  #16

RadioActive wrote:

If you recall, the same thing happened with the Christmas classic "Baby It's Cold Outside" in 2018, before some stations reconsidered and put it back on their holiday playlists. 

In that same vein, we were posting stories here on the weekend about the annual Jerry Lewis Labour Day Telethon. Imagine seeing this ad for a separate TV fundraiser today. The "R" word would most definitely NOT be in the copy. This one appeared in the Albany, N.Y. edition of TV Guide back in 1975.

The TV call letters stood for Albany/Schenectady/Troy. The station originally wanted WTAS because Troy was the city of licence. The FCC denied the call letters because it was too similar to the Soviet TASS news agency. Since 1981, it has been WNYT.

September 7, 2022 9:57 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Amazing how what's considered "politically incorrect" has changed over the years.

You may remember Janis Ian's first single, "Society's Child" - about a white girl dating a black man - was banned on many radio stations in 1967, especially in the U.S. south, as being too controversial. Today, nobody would bat an eye - or in this case, an ear. 

But you never hear it on corporate oldies stations, because of its controversial nature. Easier to play it safe and spin "Sugar Sugar" again.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 7, 2022 3:30 pm  #18

splunge wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

from Wiki:

Finland, Finland, Finland....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baHsoEAAMZU

am now imagining Finnish/finish puns.

loved this tune, thanks splunge!

Last edited by betaylored (September 7, 2022 3:32 pm)

September 7, 2022 9:20 pm  #19

Not even The Rolling Stones are immune. They're no longer performing "Brown Sugar," one their biggest hits, because it's seen as being politically incorrect and racist. 

Elton John is in Toronto on Wednesday on his long delayed final concert tour. Do you suppose "Island Girl" is out of his repertoire for similar reasons?

September 7, 2022 9:31 pm  #20

Hey RA!  How about The Bitch Is Back.

September 7, 2022 9:38 pm  #21

AMFM wrote:

Hey RA!  How about The Bitch Is Back.

Yes and it's nice to have you return!

OK just kidding. But you know, it's one of the hazards of trying to measure yesteryear's standards with the ones we have today. That's an impossible benchmark. 

20 politically incorrect songs that'd be wildly controversial today