sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2022 8:48 am  #1

Is CTV's Your Morning The Worst Morning Show On TV?

I have never been a fan of CTV/CTV News Channel's Your Morning.  The show is a light weight fluff piece of programming with very little news, but a lot of features and lots of giggling.  Why does this show have so much weather?  Did you know it will be cloudy in Buchans Newfoundland today with a chance of rain tomorrow?

Any sports news or scores, forget about it, you have to tune in TSN for that.   Love the way these guys think they can corral the audience to do what they want.  Dream on...

Earlier this morning for some reason the program was playing repeat promos, today in history and Canada's top three songs over and over.  Something technically was wrong since these features were repeated back to back 3 or 4 times. They also played the same feature report on blueberries about half an hour apart.  

When the situation was fixed, nothing was said what happened, but the cackling and giggling between the three hosts continued.  Why do the hosts continually refer to the audience as "hey Canada" or "you guys?" 

The highlight of Your Morning is the two minute local affiliate break that they have every half hour on the main network in Ontario. 

In most other parts of the country, CTV has local morning shows, but in Ontario and Quebec we are stuck with this joke of a morning show on both local channels and the news network. 

August 23, 2022 10:11 am  #2

Re: Is CTV's Your Morning The Worst Morning Show On TV?

Simple solution - Don't watch it

August 23, 2022 10:59 am  #3

peter wrote:

I agree; however this speaks to the issue of a lack of morning news choices in parts of eastern Canada.

My parents in London, for one, watch CNN in the morning because there’s no Canadian or local news at that hour that is of interest to them (they do not watch CBC). They used to be Canada AM viewers.

We have much better morning choices in BC - CTV Morning Live Vancouver, and Global’s Morning News which covers the whole province well.

August 23, 2022 12:15 pm  #4

peter wrote:

You can say that about anything on TV.  And while true, doesn't take away from the fact that Your Morning is poorly produced, amateurish and much less than Canada AM ever was. I rarely watch anymore.  What caught my eye this morning was the technical glitch of repeating the promos, today in history and top three songs over and over.

What a difference on CTV News Network after 9am when they become a real news outlet again.  Not the piece of filler and fluff that Your Morning has turned into. 

Last edited by paterson1 (August 23, 2022 12:16 pm)

August 24, 2022 2:07 am  #5

MJ Vancouver wrote:

peter wrote:

(they do not watch CBC).

If they want hard news in the morning but ignore the channel that provides it, that's their problem, is it not?

August 24, 2022 9:32 am  #6

Yes it is, followed closely in brutality by CTV's evening ETalk program..but apparently that show is quite popular and I'm old now...

Last edited by Johnny B (August 24, 2022 9:33 am)

August 24, 2022 5:00 pm  #7

What ever became of Norm Perry, anyway? He must be in his 80s or 90a by now.

August 25, 2022 1:17 pm  #8

Before there was CTV Your Morning and Canada AM, there was this. Based on the guest list, I almost certainly would not have gotten up early to watch it.

(And yes, it had puppets!)

From 1966:

August 25, 2022 1:27 pm  #9

MJ Vancouver wrote:

peter wrote:

I agree; however this speaks to the issue of a lack of morning news choices in parts of eastern Canada.

My parents in London, for one, watch CNN in the morning because there’s no Canadian or local news at that hour that is of interest to them (they do not watch CBC). They used to be Canada AM viewers.

We have much better morning choices in BC - CTV Morning Live Vancouver, and Global’s Morning News which covers the whole province well.

Our choices were even better when we had the local BTs on Citytv. It was fun while it lasted. I don’t know what you guys think of Global or Citytv’s local shows in Toronto. Are they not worth watching there?

August 25, 2022 2:17 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Before there was CTV Your Morning and Canada AM, there was this. Based on the guest list, I almost certainly would not have gotten up early to watch it.

(And yes, it had puppets!)

From 1966:

Was having puppets on a newscast a fad at that time?

WBAL-TV in Baltimore did just that - they had a puppet named JP on set during the evening news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rAKQGtHeA

August 25, 2022 3:06 pm  #11

Some things never change. This is from NBC's Today Show in 2017:

(But really, instead of Big Bird, shouldn't it have been a peacock?)

[img]https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/t_nbcnews-ux-1080-600,f_auto,q_auto:best/msnbc/components/video/201701/tdy_take_sesame_open_170105.jpg[/img]

August 25, 2022 3:09 pm  #12

and the CBS network revived the use of puppets in the 80s when Dan Rather took over the desk from Walter Cronkite...

September 4, 2022 12:02 am  #13

I have to confess I have absolutely zero memory of this, but before there was CTV News Channel there was this. Anyone remember it from 1997?

September 4, 2022 12:52 am  #14

Didn't BT go Canada wide for their morning show? 
There you go! A nice alternative to CTV's morning show.
Hopefully ratings will show that nobody wants to watch CTV...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 4, 2022 1:42 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I have to confess I have absolutely zero memory of this, but before there was CTV News Channel there was this. Anyone remember it from 1997? 

I'd never heard of this. But found this article from the Montreal Gazette from October 21, 1997. Personalities in the photo: Wei Chen, Dana Lewis, Larry Stout, Leslie Jones, Lisa LaFlamme, Dawna Friesen.

September 4, 2022 4:51 am  #16

I remember CTV News 1, revolving desk and all...
(You had to be a cable customer. It was not a rabbit ear/OTA channel.)

1997 Pre launch ad:

Official launch:

Long version:  

But back to the original subject that started this thread, watch BT on City TV instead of CTV's programming if you do not like CTV morning live. Simple as that!!!

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 4, 2022 7:45 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 4, 2022 11:20 am  #17

RA, little hard to believe that you don't remember CTV News 1.  Were you not working in news in Toronto in 1997?  I would have thought that there would have been a lot of interest from those working in news at the start up of a new major news network.  Not having cable at home doesn't matter, I am sure where you were working had cable. And the launch had a lot of press. Even the Prime Minister was there for day one  along with hundreds of staff.  So to say you don't  remember the network and being former news person and TV junkie is really shocking and as I said hard to believe.  CTV News 1 morphed into the current CTV News Channel. 

To radiowiz great videos. I don't watch CTV's Your Morning that much.  My post was started because of the technical problems I noticed while flipping around the dial a few weeks ago, so I decided to watch more of the show that particular day.  I was a viewer when they first came on after Canada AM went off the air.  Initially I was disappointed with Your Morning because it was only half of the show Canada AM was, and judging by what I saw a few weeks ago has only gotten worse.   I usually watch CBC Morning,  CP24, CNN sometimes BT .   

September 4, 2022 12:34 pm  #18

Well, I'm sorry you have trouble believing my rapidly fading memory! I can't think of a possible reason I would lie about this. At the time this service signed on, I was in the middle of about 20 things in the newsroom where I worked, including the fact we had our own brand-new specialty services debuting that month.

So while I was aware of CTV's news channel, I had no recall it was more of a headline news service than what it's morphed into today. And I was a little bit too busy at the time to ponder much of what the competition was up to, in addition to trying to get our own noon, 6 and 11 newscasts on the air and working what amounted to 12-16 hour days. (I look back now and wonder how I ever did it.)  

From the description of "CTV News 1", it doesn't sound like it amounted to much, but it's interesting to see how it's evolved into something far better than its origins. I'm not sure I would want to watch 15 minute headlines repeated over and over and over without much in-depth analysis.  

I suspect it's the reason CNN Headline News, which had the same kind of quick hit newswheel, has changed into something far different over the years. Personally, I'm not sure what point CNN HN serves now, and with big changes coming at that organization, I will be watching with interest to see what the new management team does with it.

As it stands now, it has very little news and a lot of "true crime" programming. If that attracts an audience, good for them. But to keep calling it Headline News seems a misnomer to me. Maybe they'll change the name to reflect what it is now: The Crime Channel. Perhaps they can add a new slogan: "Steal a few minutes and watch us." Or "it would be a crime not to tune in."

Either way, coming up with an effective new catchphrase will be murder. Hey, maybe that's another one!

September 4, 2022 12:52 pm  #19

Well I can relate about a fading memory.  I was the guy who thought Roger Ashby's show wasn't on CKWW on Saturday morning a few weeks back.  Problem was, it was Friday when I tuned in....  When you retire, everyday kind of feels like Saturday...

September 4, 2022 12:58 pm  #20

My favourite line about that came from someone who retired after toiling at the same job for many years.

A friend asked them, "what do you miss most about working?"

And the answer was, "My weekends."

September 4, 2022 2:51 pm  #21

I remember CTV N1 and its 15 minute segments.  It was an easy way to get a quick news update;  but barring a developing story you wouldn't watch it continuously, as the same pieces were repeated for several cycles.

Last edited by Media Observer (September 4, 2022 2:51 pm)

September 4, 2022 3:06 pm  #22

Media Observer wrote:

I remember CTV N1 and its 15 minute segments.  It was an easy way to get a quick news update;  but barring a developing story you wouldn't watch it continuously, as the same pieces were repeated for several cycles.

The all time king, and the one that stated the format was Ted Turner and CNN2, or CNN Headline News...
"Around the world in thirty minutes... This is Headline News"

September 4, 2022 3:30 pm  #23

Radiowiz wrote:

Didn't BT go Canada wide for their morning show? 
There you go! A nice alternative to CTV's morning show.
Hopefully ratings will show that nobody wants to watch CTV...

Yes and no. On Citytv Vancouver, they only broadcast 90 minutes of a “national” BT, from 8:30-10am PT. Earlier in the morning they have a rebroadcast of CityNews Tonight, CityLine, and DailyMail TV.

I checked out BT on Citytv Vancouver once several months ago; it wasn’t even localized whatsoever. There were local Toronto news headlines on the ticker that were of no relevance to us.

Fortunately for us we have two local TV choices in the morning.

September 4, 2022 3:37 pm  #24

AspectRatio wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I'd never heard of this. But found this article from the Montreal Gazette from October 21, 1997. Personalities in the photo: Wei Chen, Dana Lewis, Larry Stout, Leslie Jones, Lisa LaFlamme, Dawna Friesen.

If I’m not mistaken, the launch of CTV News 1 was when Lisa Laflamme moved from CKCO to CTV’s national news. She had been anchoring CKCO’s 11:30pm news earlier in 1997, and I remember her on News 1 when it launched.

I remember Royal Canadian Air Farce parodied CTV News 1 shortly after its launch, calling it “News repeated every 15 minutes” and exaggerating the rotating desk.

I also recall they depended on The Weather Network for weather, and Headline Sports for sports updates. CP24 had a very similar model when it launched a few months later, depending on non-CHUM properties such as 680 News for some content.

September 4, 2022 4:47 pm  #25

Glen Warren wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

The all time king, and the one that stated the format was Ted Turner and CNN2, or CNN Headline News...
"Around the world in thirty minutes... This is Headline News"

That brings back memories.  With a 30 minute show you had a good selection of news that didn't feel like it was being crammed into a short timeslot.  It was a great source first thing in the morning and when returning home from work in the evening.

Last edited by Media Observer (September 4, 2022 4:50 pm)

September 4, 2022 5:16 pm  #26

RadioActive wrote:

Well, I'm sorry you have trouble believing my rapidly fading memory! I can't think of a possible reason I would lie about this. At the time this service signed on, I was in the middle of about 20 things in the newsroom where I worked, including the fact we had our own brand-new specialty services debuting that month.

So while I was aware of CTV's news channel, I had no recall it was more of a headline news service than what it's morphed into today. And I was a little bit too busy at the time to ponder much of what the competition was up to, in addition to trying to get our own noon, 6 and 11 newscasts on the air and working what amounted to 12-16 hour days. (I look back now and wonder how I ever did it.)  

From the description of "CTV News 1", it doesn't sound like it amounted to much, but it's interesting to see how it's evolved into something far better than its origins. I'm not sure I would want to watch 15 minute headlines repeated over and over and over without much in-depth analysis.  

I suspect it's the reason CNN Headline News, which had the same kind of quick hit newswheel, has changed into something far different over the years. Personally, I'm not sure what point CNN HN serves now, and with big changes coming at that organization, I will be watching with interest to see what the new management team does with it.

As it stands now, it has very little news and a lot of "true crime" programming. If that attracts an audience, good for them. But to keep calling it Headline News seems a misnomer to me. Maybe they'll change the name to reflect what it is now: The Crime Channel. Perhaps they can add a new slogan: "Steal a few minutes and watch us." Or "it would be a crime not to tune in."

Either way, coming up with an effective new catchphrase will be murder. Hey, maybe that's another one!

Yes it does seem that the Headline News channel runs nothing but crime shows, specifically Forensic Files and its cousin, Forensic Files II. It does however have a five hour weekday news show running from 6am-11am entitled Morning Express with Robin Mead.

September 4, 2022 10:56 pm  #27

MJ Vancouver wrote:

AspectRatio wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

If I’m not mistaken, the launch of CTV News 1 was when Lisa Laflamme moved from CKCO to CTV’s national news. She had been anchoring CKCO’s 11:30pm news earlier in 1997, and I remember her on News 1 when it launched.

I remember Royal Canadian Air Farce parodied CTV News 1 shortly after its launch, calling it “News repeated every 15 minutes” and exaggerating the rotating desk.

I also recall they depended on The Weather Network for weather, and Headline Sports for sports updates. CP24 had a very similar model when it launched a few months later, depending on non-CHUM properties such as 680 News for some content.

It was clunky when something broke live and they tried to go back into taped segments afterward especially if the desk had rotated and the background had changed.  I vaguely remember a anchor on tape accidentally throwing to himself live.  They had to get the license amended to switch to the 30 minute wheel if I recall.

September 5, 2022 8:35 am  #28

Not only is CTV’s Your Morning a dull show, but the promos for this program are even duller! The last two were enough to make you not want to watch, and ran repeatedly on CNN if you have Bell cable.

September 5, 2022 9:52 am  #29

RadioActive wrote:

I remember it like it was yesterday. My colleagues and I gathered round a monitor and just took it in. We initially thought it was a parody, but the chuckling faded as it became apparent it was a serious thing.