sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2022 10:41 am  #1

The Summer Equivalent Of The Christmas Music Debate

Every December - or November or even October - it starts here - how soon is too soon to start playing Christmas Music and when will CHFI change format?

There is a summer equivalent - how soon is too soon for those back-to-school commercials to begin on every station? I heard my first one at the tail end of July, fully over a month before the bell actually rings - and even before the opening of the CNE, the traditional "end of summer" sign for anyone who grew up in the GTA. 

I suppose this isn't quite as bad as the Xmas conundrum - that goes on every minute of every day until the New Year. At least these are only occasional ads, which will almost certainly increase in frequency as we slip towards Labour Day. (The one I'm hearing most often is for Amazon.)

But if I were still a student, I'd be some kind of unhappy to start hearing about this in July!

August 7, 2022 10:49 am  #2

Re: The Summer Equivalent Of The Christmas Music Debate

End of July IS the best time to start the back to school ads! It's not about what the child thinks, it's about what the parent plans to buy for the kid before it's all sold out!!
First come...first served!! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 7, 2022 10:54 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

End of July IS the best time to start the back to school ads! It's not about what the child thinks, it's about what the parent plans to buy for the kid before it's all sold out!!

As a kid I hated school. The back to school ads would almost make me feel ill. Labour Day was the worst day of the year.

Even now, all these years later, the back to school ads trigger those feelings in me.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 7, 2022 11:09 am  #4

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

As a kid I hated school. The back to school ads would almost make me feel ill. Labour Day was the worst day of the year.

Even now, all these years later, the back to school ads trigger those feelings in me.

Yep, I remember that sick feeling of the summer being over. But it didn't use to be the back-to-school ads. It was the CNE's "Let's Go To The Ex" spots that had me knowing my freedom was coming to an end!

August 7, 2022 11:18 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Yep, I remember that sick feeling of the summer being over. But it didn't use to be the back-to-school ads. It was the CNE's "Let's Go To The Ex" spots that had me knowing my freedom was coming to an end!

Then, there was always the well intentione aunt or neighbour asking "Are you excited about going back to school?"
Yeh, right.  @@%@(*$^%.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 7, 2022 11:42 am  #6

What was kind of interesting with the COVID situation over the past few years, a lot of kids were really excited about going back to school and seeing friends.  Many parents were even happier.  End of July is about the right time to start some of the Back To School advertising.  So many people traditionally away on holiday also is a factor in this. 

August 7, 2022 12:07 pm  #7

This year I’ve noticed the ads started earlier. I saw a Staples Canada ad for back-to-school a full two weeks ago - around July 20.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (August 7, 2022 12:07 pm)

August 7, 2022 2:08 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

For me, it was the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon that elicited that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

August 7, 2022 2:48 pm  #9

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

🎶 "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." 🎶 😝

And yesterday someone on 🇨🇦 Twitter shared a photo of the first grocery store display of Halloween candy.

Last edited by betaylored (August 7, 2022 2:51 pm)

August 7, 2022 2:55 pm  #10

I now think of Back to School whenever I hear Andy Williams The Most Wonderful Time of The Year thanks to the 1996 Staples ad where the dad is skipping and jumping down the aisle while loading the shopping cart with school supplies. The young son and daughter show much less enthusiasm walking as if they were headed to an execution chamber. I love back to school ads now because I get to watch students suffer like I once did as the dreaded day after Labour Day quickly approaches.

August 7, 2022 4:47 pm  #11

Maybo wrote:

mace wrote:

I now think of Back to School whenever I hear Andy Williams The Most Wonderful Time of The Year thanks to the 1996 Staples ad where the dad is skipping and jumping down the aisle while loading the shopping cart with school supplies. The young son and daughter show much less enthusiasm walking as if they were headed to an execution chamber. I love back to school ads now because I get to watch students suffer like I once did as the dreaded day after Labour Day quickly approaches.

And the one where a kid berates Alice Cooper, accusing him of saying, “School’s out FOREVER!” 😂

Yeah, the Alice Cooper ad is good, but I still prefer the original. That dad is having sooooo much fun.

August 9, 2022 10:01 pm  #12

MJ Vancouver wrote:

This year I’ve noticed the ads started earlier. I saw a Staples Canada ad for back-to-school a full two weeks ago - around July 20.

https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1557104357090410497?t=FOgMEBANQFulJeybrpZWqw&s=19

going back to school can be a double edged proposition

August 10, 2022 2:49 am  #13

This might kill the thread but, I know when summer is over - when I hear this great song...... sadly it's unlikely you will hear this on the radio. And I think it's CanCon 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqXCj2i5TU

August 10, 2022 7:45 am  #14

"See You in September" by the Tempos and by the Happenings charted in Sept. of '59 and '66, respectively.    Would have "worked" better if chart manipulators of the day had promoted each in May/June, as school was getting out

August 10, 2022 8:22 am  #15

Brian Wilson and the Beachboys really capture that  "it's over" feeling with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHbKUyq5m_w

August 10, 2022 8:29 am  #16

Ms. C. wrote:

"See You in September" by the Tempos and by the Happenings charted in Sept. of '59 and '66, respectively.    Would have "worked" better if chart manipulators of the day had promoted each in May/June, as school was getting out 

They were both promoted in June and started charting much earlier than September. According to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_You_in_September, The Tempos' version was released in June and broke out in San Francisco that month, charing nationally in July and peaking in August. The Happenings' version broke out in Boston and reached the top 10 there in June, charting nationally in July and reaching the top 10 in August before peaking at the beginning of September. 

August 10, 2022 8:33 am  #17

That seems only right, since the song is about departing for the summer holidays. Holding it until September is already here wouldn't have made any sense. By the way, I can't stand the Tempos version, but the Happenings remains one of my favourites. 

Another great end of summer song that's rarely played? "Wonderful Summer" by Robin Ward. Another sort of sad but still somehow hopeful tune about the end of the best season of the year.  

August 10, 2022 8:37 am  #18

Turns out she was a " Woman for All Seasons " too. Give a listen to her follow up Winter's Here..which didn't do much on the charts but still a great song. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv8RJUDWA_U

August 10, 2022 10:39 am  #19

betaylored wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1557104357090410497?t=FOgMEBANQFulJeybrpZWqw&s=19

going back to school can be a double edged proposition

I suppose those might be necessary if you’re taking culinary arts at George Brown……

August 10, 2022 10:54 am  #20

Lorne wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

They were both promoted in June and started charting much earlier than September. According to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_You_in_September, The Tempos' version was released in June and broke out in San Francisco that month, charing nationally in July and peaking in August. The Happenings' version broke out in Boston and reached the top 10 there in June, charting nationally in July and reaching the top 10 in August before peaking at the beginning of September. 

Locally, the 1966 version spent 11 weeks on the CHUM Chart from July 18-Sept 26. It topped the chart the week of Aug 22nd.