sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2022 8:30 pm  #1

One Of Network TV's Longest Running Shows To Go Streaming Only

Whether this had anything to do with recent disappointing financial results from NBC's Peacock is hard to say, but the network has announced one of North America's longest running soap operas is going all streaming only. "Days of Our Lives" will be moving to the web only in the Fall after 57 years on network TV. 

I've never watched it, but the fact it's been on for so long and NBC is making this move is just the latest in a long series of shows that once aired on free TV and now require a subscription. How long before there is no free TV left to watch? The change is just another sign that one day, the so-called Big 4 may be no more. At least as we currently know them.

Despite a network spokesman somehow insisting that "a large percentage of the Days of Our Lives audience [is] already watching digitally," I can't help but think soaps skew to older people and many of those viewers are likely not making the switch to streaming. 

Days of Our Lives Moving to Peacock, Will No Longer Air on NBC

Among recent shows that have left "free" TV for the Internet: Lucifer, Seal Team, Evil, AP Bio, Manifest, Designated Survivor, The Orville, and The Mindy Project, just to name a few.

August 4, 2022 9:24 am  #2

Re: One Of Network TV's Longest Running Shows To Go Streaming Only

This move by NBC wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Days ranks last in viewers of the four remaining soaps on broadcast television. For the 2021-22 season, according to Neilsen for the women 18-49 group, the numbers break down as 1. Y&R 3.470 average weekly viewers. 2. B&B 2.961M. 3. GH 2.176M. 4. Days 1.681M. CBS has renewed both of their soaps until at least the end of 2024. ABC has not yet made a decision on the future of General Hospital. For the record, The Price Is Right is still the network daytime top program averaging just under 4M viewers for parts one and two.

August 4, 2022 9:59 am  #3

moving to streaming allows them to gather far more data about who is watching and when as well as targeted advertising

August 4, 2022 10:04 am  #4

NBC is going to run a new hour long live news program for its affiliates to replace Days. Wonder what Global is gonna do? Days has been on at 1 PM on Global for what seems like decades. 

August 4, 2022 10:19 am  #5

Wonder if this will affect Global?  Admittedly, I will watch it the next day to be able to watch the whole thing in 41 minutes.  Their on-demand offerings on Rogers Ignite doesn't allow you to skip commercials.  More than half the commercials they play are promos.  However, this isn't entirely unprecidented.  They have already run a couple of streaming-only special episodes and Global carries them on their streaming platforms.

In Phase wrote:

moving to streaming allows them to gather far more data about who is watching and when as well as targeted advertising

No question that streaming allows much more granularity with the commercial load.  But I think it's safe to say that Days is not going to be around much longer.  Daytime dramas are out of style.  The thing is, since they shoot several months in advance, they have already got a lot in the can to use up.  

By the way, In Phase, I've been meaning to say, I love your avatar -- especially the PLUGE.

August 4, 2022 10:26 am  #6

I wonder if Global will be able to keep "Days" even after it moves to streaming only in the U.S. Peacock is not available in Canada yet and may never be, so I don't know if NBCUniversal would want to lose what money they get for licencing fees here, since it's technically not "competition" for the streaming service down there. They might just leave the arrangement alone. 

I guess we'll find out in the fall. But if they lose access, I have no idea what Global might replace it with. 

August 4, 2022 11:11 am  #7

Sounds like a soft cancellation. I suspect many of the viewers are older and have no access or interest in streaming services. 

August 4, 2022 11:25 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder if Global will be able to keep "Days" even after it moves to streaming only in the U.S. Peacock is not available in Canada yet and may never be, so I don't know if NBCUniversal would want to lose what money they get for licencing fees here, since it's technically not "competition" for the streaming service down there. They might just leave the arrangement alone. 

I guess we'll find out in the fall. But if they lose access, I have no idea what Global might replace it with. 

Unless Peacock starts making money and soon, it's time is limited.  Couldn't care less if it is available here or not.  So far Peacock is bombing in the US with 13 million subscribers . Last year a loss of $2.2 billion, and first quarter of 2022, a loss of $456 million.  If Days of Our Lives is filled with promo and not ads on Global, time to pull the plug.  They will likely put in a game show or find a talk show to run.  Simsub or not, Days likely isn't pulling great numbers anyway.  

August 4, 2022 11:46 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Unless Peacock starts making money and soon, it's time is limited.  Couldn't care less if it is available here or not.  So far Peacock is bombing in the US with 13 million subscribers . Last year a loss of $2.2 billion, and first quarter of 2022, a loss of $456 million.  If Days of Our Lives is filled with promo and not ads on Global, time to pull the plug.  They will likely put in a game show or find a talk show to run.  Simsub or not, Days likely isn't pulling great numbers anyway.  

I just read up on Peacock and I didn't realize it was losing money that badly.  As for the Global on demand offering, program content comes in at 37:30.  There are 7 stopsets, each containing either no commercials, a 15 or a 30 second spot, and one 30 second promo. Total average program time around 42 minutes.  Considering the broadcast runtime is 60 minutes, that doing terribly sales wise. 

CTV is actually doing much worse, with 30 seconds in each stopset.  I watched last Friday's repeat of Blue Bloods (which CTV didn't even air but had available on demand) in about 40 minutes.

Streaming, as a whole, doesn't seem to be the pannacea everyone thought it would be.  I'm kind of surprised.

August 4, 2022 10:45 pm  #10

Peter the K wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I just read up on Peacock and I didn't realize it was losing money that badly.  As for the Global on demand offering, program content comes in at 37:30.  There are 7 stopsets, each containing either no commercials, a 15 or a 30 second spot, and one 30 second promo. Total average program time around 42 minutes.  Considering the broadcast runtime is 60 minutes, that doing terribly sales wise. 

CTV is actually doing much worse, with 30 seconds in each stopset.  I watched last Friday's repeat of Blue Bloods (which CTV didn't even air but had available on demand) in about 40 minutes.

Streaming, as a whole, doesn't seem to be the pannacea everyone thought it would be.  I'm kind of surprised.

It's because TV and radio sales people have no clue how to sell digital and aren't willing to learn.  

August 5, 2022 8:52 am  #11

I believe Paramount + (formerly CBS All-Access) is doing well. Of course, Star Trek fans are more likely to be tech-savvy enough to stream than Days of Our Life fans. I think Peacock's problem is they don't have any "must see" programming (ie programming with a large pre-existing fan base) while CBS/Paramount has the Star Trek franchise and Disney has the Star Wars and Marvel cinematic universes. 

Last edited by Hansa (August 5, 2022 8:53 am)

August 5, 2022 9:10 am  #12

Hansa wrote:

I believe Paramount + (formerly CBS All-Access) is doing well. Of course, Star Trek fans are more likely to be tech-savvy enough to stream than Days of Our Life fans. I think Peacock's problem is they don't have any "must see" programming (ie programming with a large pre-existing fan base) while CBS/Paramount has the Star Trek franchise and Disney has the Star Wars and Marvel cinematic universes. 

Bingo. If I were in the States, Peacock is probably the last streaming service that would tempt me. What's on there that I can't see on NBC? Not much. As much as I find Paramount+ to be lacking in certain areas, there are a few shows I would watch if I felt it worthwhile to subscribe. 

And Peacock doesn't help itself much by not being available in other countries. It's not a surprise they're losing money. They came into the game late and don't have the inventory that the Netflixes, AppleTVs and the Hulus have. (Hulu is one service I wish did cross the border.) 

My money would go to the streamer that has more to offer. Peacock would be last on that list. 

September 6, 2022 9:49 am  #13

Corus has confirmed it has retained the rights to "Day Of Our Lives," as it moves to Peacock-only in the U.S. (That streaming service is not available in Canada, meaning fans of the show here would have lost access to it altogether.) It will be on both StackTV and The W Network, but off Global. The new schedule begins Sept. 12th

Corus Gives "Lives" A New Life In Canada

September 8, 2022 4:03 pm  #14

NBC has revealed details of what the newscast replacing "Days" on the network will look like, along with a peek at the set. 

Anchor’s tweet provides clues about ‘NBC News Daily’ set, graphics

September 10, 2022 1:25 pm  #15

The last ever Days on NBC...Whoops!! Sorry but the ending got cut off...boy were viewers ever pissed!!!
https://people.com/tv/king-charles-speech-interrupts-days-of-our-lives-final-nbc-episode/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.