sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2022 9:38 pm  #1

Legend Norman Lear Turning 100 & Has Message For Fans

https://twitter.com/TheNormanLear/status/1552076139102736384?t=OklCDHdOmz8nqJgGH86iEA&s=19

Tomorrow, Wednesday July 27, the incomparable Norman Lear, born in the year 1922, turns one hundred years old. Like a lot of creative greats, he has a Twitter account he uses to stay in touch with his friends, fans and followers.

Attached above is Mr. Lear's tweet and the short vlog he's made about turning 100, and he also offers a few other timeless, timely wise words in his unique, often imitated but never equaled style. It's too special not to share.

Don't think I could ever pick just one favorite of all the shows and work he's done, there's too many.

Happy birthday Mr. Norman Lear 🥂🍾

July 26, 2022 10:32 pm  #2

Re: Legend Norman Lear Turning 100 & Has Message For Fans

Definitely his greatest achievement was "All In The Family," if only because it actually changed the face of television and created a new, more mature type of programming that had never been part of the North American media before.

After "Family," which was based on a British sitcom called "Till Death Us Do Part," U.S. network TV was never the same again. 

Lear did that. 

If you've never seen the British original, here's a sample of what it was like - the premiere episode from back in 1966.  

July 27, 2022 9:15 am  #3

Amazing the number of shows he was involved in, including many I've never heard of. 

Norman Lear At 100: His Life And Career In 100 Photos

While everyone knows All In The Family, Maude, The Jeffersons, et al., Lear wasn't perfect. He had a number of flops that went nowhere and you've probably never heard of them. Including these, one of which was Paul Shaffer's first U.S. TV show in 1977 (so young he still had hair!), opposite another show biz legend. 

This one was from 1976, and despite a great cast, was quickly cast off. Proving that in TV, All's not alway's Fair.

July 27, 2022 4:50 pm  #4

ABC has now scheduled a special honouring the TV legend. It won't air until September 22th. At the age of 100, I just hope he's still here to see and take part in it. 

ABC to ring in Norman Lear’s 100th Birthday With TV Special

July 27, 2022 8:10 pm  #5

All's Fair probably should have done better with Maude as a lead-in. However, it was up against Monday Night Football on ABC.

September 14, 2022 3:09 pm  #6

This special airs next Thursday.

George Clooney, Tom Hanks, Rita Moreno Among Celebrity Guests Joining ‘Norman Lear: 100 Years Of Music And Laughter’ ABC Special

Incredibly, Norman Lear at 100 isn't looking to retire any time soon. He's just signed a deal to bring a brand new comedy to the Freeview streaming service (formerly IMDB.tv) in the coming months. And by the way, as the name implies, Freevee is free and requires no subscription. So Canadians will be able to see it, if they have a VPN set to the U.S. 

I haven't checked the records, but I feel pretty secure in saying Lear has to be the oldest active producer in the history of showbiz. Pretty amazing. 

Laverne Cox & George Wallace Comedy ‘Clean Slate’ Produced By Norman Lear Gets Amazon Freevee Series Order

July 27, 2023 2:53 pm  #7

The man who helped change television in the 1970s has made it to 101 and is still active. Absolutely amazing. 

Norman Lear Is “Living In The Moment” As He Turns 101