sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2022 10:09 pm  #91

Re: Rogers Outage

Rogers unable to switch customers to Bell, Telus, despite competing carrier offers
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/rogers-unable-to-switch-customers-to-bell-telus-despite-competing-carrier-offers-1.5999705

July 23, 2022 10:37 pm  #92

Downright frightening that three tornado warnings issued in Saskatchewan didn't get sent because of the Rogers outage.

July 24, 2022 7:14 am  #93

I would be interested to know when, and if, we will be getting a rebate on the outage.  My bill is still the same. I realize it may take some time in the accounting office but I'm sure it will not be anytime soon.

July 24, 2022 9:30 am  #94

Listener wrote:

I would be interested to know when, and if, we will be getting a rebate on the outage.  My bill is still the same. I realize it may take some time in the accounting office but I'm sure it will not be anytime soon.

Clear as day: AUGUST BILL  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 24, 2022 12:36 pm  #95

cash wrote:

Rogers unable to switch customers to Bell, Telus, despite competing carrier offers
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/rogers-unable-to-switch-customers-to-bell-telus-despite-competing-carrier-offers-1.5999705

From my perspective, this was one of the shortcomings from Rogers - not keeping customers informed and also not having a way for customers to contract Rogers.  It would have been nice to know that they were trying to work with other carriers.

July 24, 2022 1:43 pm  #96

cash wrote:

I learnt something new here, namely that if you remove the SIM card your cell phone may able to find another cell signal that can be accessed for 911 calls. Perhaps the media could have told customers of this option (if Rogers themselves had publicized this fact) . Is this universally true for all cellphones? Maybe the manufactures should consider adding software that specifically tries other cell networks if a 911 call fails to complete in a defined time. CRTC intervention  here?

July 24, 2022 6:47 pm  #97

mace wrote:

Downright frightening that three tornado warnings issued in Saskatchewan didn't get sent because of the Rogers outage.

Thst's why everyone should have a weather radio.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 25, 2022 11:13 pm  #98

In Phase wrote:

Rogers will argue that they should be allowed to acquire Shaw so they can use their western based infrastructure as backup (sarcasm intended)

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/07/25/rogers-executives-to-face-hearing-on-massive-network-outage-today.html

To the apparent disbelief of Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, Staffieri said he believes Canadians do have choices when it comes to telecom service.

He said the Shaw deal would give the combined company greater scale and allow Rogers to separate its wireless and internet networks in about half the time that it would otherwise take.

.... like I said

July 26, 2022 1:13 pm  #99

According to a wonderful blog by communications lawyer/professor Michael Geist, the exchange between Erskine-Smith and the Rogers CEO went like this:

Erskine-Smith: You think Canadians have alternatives and choice in this marketplace?

Staffieri: Very much so

Erskine-Smith: And you’re saying that with a straight face? 

Bravo to the politico, who at least didn't try to hide his stunned surprise at one of the most ridiculous statements of the year.  

July 27, 2022 8:10 am  #100

RadioActive wrote:

According to a wonderful blog by communications lawyer/professor Michael Geist, the exchange between Erskine-Smith and the Rogers CEO went like this:

Erskine-Smith: You think Canadians have alternatives and choice in this marketplace?

Staffieri: Very much so

Erskine-Smith: And you’re saying that with a straight face? 

Bravo to the politico, who at least didn't try to hide his stunned surprise at one of the most ridiculous statements of the year.  

I heard this interaction on Radio 1 Monday and I think Staffieri didn’t expect this line of questioning, as Rogers has usually got what they wanted when dealing with the Feds. I think he was indeed stunned by Erskine-Smith’s comment and I hope Rogers stays under the microscope until they get their act together.

July 27, 2022 9:21 am  #101

Perhaps another sign that the would-be Rogers-Shaw merger is facing an uphill battle, made worse by the former's disastrous recent outage.

Rogers, Shaw extend merger deadline to end of year

July 27, 2022 11:39 am  #102

Also this am,  the refund to Rogers customers for the July 8th outage/disruption is expected to be a $150 million expense.  This will be charged to the upcoming Q3 results.

The earnings / revenue results this morning were for Q2.

July 27, 2022 4:36 pm  #103

This headline just about says it all for me. Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. 

CRTC needs to do a better job regulating telecoms, experts say