sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2022 10:45 pm  #2

Re: Allen Spraggett, Beyond Reason (CBC)

I remember him doing his "The Unexplained" segments. He was Art Bell in Canada before there was an Art Bell in the U.S. Only maybe a little more restrained and a lot less conspiratorial about government.

Wasn't there a guy on CHUM-AM for a while in the 60s who used to do a UFO segment? My faded memory tells me his name may have been J. Allen Hynek. Anyone remember him or am I just seeing echoes of little green men who were never there?

July 23, 2022 10:53 pm  #3

Speaking of Spraggett and Hynek, not to mention Beyond Reason, all three are here in the CBC Archives.

Beyond Reason: the CBC game show with a paranormal twist

July 24, 2022 4:52 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I remember him doing his "The Unexplained" segments. He was Art Bell in Canada before there was an Art Bell in the U.S. Only maybe a little more restrained and a lot less conspiratorial about government.

Wasn't there a guy on CHUM-AM for a while in the 60s who used to do a UFO segment? My faded memory tells me his name may have been J. Allen Hynek. Anyone remember him or am I just seeing echoes of little green men who were never there?

His name was Gene Duplantier and the segment was "U-F-O Info."

Last edited by Dale Patterson (July 24, 2022 4:52 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 24, 2022 4:56 am  #5

July 24, 2022 7:05 am  #6

Thanks Dale! I would never have remembered the name, but I do recall the segment. 

July 24, 2022 11:21 pm  #7

July 25, 2022 10:50 am  #8

Dale Patterson wrote:

Does anybody remember this story?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KnwxAAAAIBAJ&pg=1053%2C1482472

Yes, I thought of it right away ... both the charges and his acquittal.

October 30, 2022 7:07 am  #9

The Star has done a tribute piece to Allen Spraggett, who was religion editor at the newspaper for many years (hired by another radio name, Charles Templeton.) The story is about his background and life, and briefly makes reference to the shows he did on radio. I had no idea he'd worked for both CFNY and CKMW, as well as CFRB.

Interesting that there's no reference to the scandal that tainted his reputation for a time, before he was proven innocent. 

"The ’70s and ’80s saw Allen create and host radio programs, the most popular being “Sun Spots,” “The Unexplained” and “You and Your Sun Sign” for the stations CFRB, CFNY and CKMW. He was also the host and writer of such television shows as “Beyond Reason” and “The Occult.”

"His broadcast programs made information about psychic phenomena, including research in the belief of life after death, accessible to the general public."

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/life/together/remembrance/2022/10/30/into-the-unknown-remembering-star-religion-editor-and-occult-expert-allen-spraggett.html

October 30, 2022 10:32 am  #10

Anyone remember Jonnie Walters doing a daily daytime ESP phone-in show on CKCO in the 70s? Basically, as I recall, they had some sort of game board (like a Jeopardy board) with a bunch of astrological symbols on it and you would get a prize if you could "psychically" guess what's behind one of the pieces (or something like that - I used to watch it if I was staying home from school sick or during the summer.)

Last edited by Hansa (October 30, 2022 10:32 am)