sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2022 8:53 pm  #61

Re: Rogers Outage

The Etymology Of The Term "Jury Rig"

(Coming up next, the etymology of the word "etymology.")

July 11, 2022 11:31 pm  #62

turkeytop wrote:

Hansa wrote:

If nothing else, a lot of people cut off from both streaming services and social media have been listening to the radio today for the first time in a long time whether it's for music or news.

I've always said that online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Today, someone pinched off the feeding tube.

Yes, you have incorrectly made the same point repeatedly. 

The content is the same but the delivery method is different.  So the analogy is more like eating pizza at the restaurant or having it delivered to your door.  It's the same product with a different method of delivery.   On Friday the delivery driver's car broke down.

July 11, 2022 11:38 pm  #63

andysradio wrote:

cash wrote:

it's time for the government to mandate that customers can switch to another provider when we have outages like this. 

Customers can switch when ever they would like (contract aside)

He obviously meant having your phone instantly switch to another network during an outage, not going to the store and cancelling your service.  

July 12, 2022 12:22 am  #64

RadioActive wrote:

The Etymology Of The Term "Jury Rig"

(Coming up next, the etymology of the word "etymology.")

seriously interesting origin, thanks RA!😁

here's the etymology of etymology 🧐
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/etymology

Last edited by betaylored (July 12, 2022 12:23 am)

July 12, 2022 12:30 am  #65

Tomas Barlow wrote:

On Friday the delivery driver's car broke down.

The better argument might be that the car was fine, but the oven broke down before it could even make it to the car. All competing pizza places had perfectly good ovens and perfectly good cars, so pizza at their restaurant or delivered to your home was fine.

Competing pizza places are not going to offer/donate their pizza...meh, you get the idea/analogy...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 12, 2022 12:31 am  #66

Tomas Barlow wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Hansa wrote:

If nothing else, a lot of people cut off from both streaming services and social media have been listening to the radio today for the first time in a long time whether it's for music or news.

I've always said that online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

The content is the same but the delivery method is different.  So the analogy is more like eating pizza at the restaurant or having it delivered to your door.  It's the same product with a different method of delivery.   On Friday the delivery driver's car broke down.

So, to use your pizza analogy, it's like having gourmet pizza at the pizzaria, or having Mccain frozen pizza at home. Today the microwave broke.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 12, 2022 10:44 am  #67

Was just thinking...imagine what would happen if this outage were to happen today...Amazon Prime day!
That would have been the worst timing... 

July 12, 2022 10:52 am  #68

On Friday, during the Great Disconnect, I had no cell or Internet service, but my cable TV was fine - I don't have Ignite, it's not available in our condo yet, we have Rogers' Digital VIP Package. Last night an into today so far, our building has no cable TV, but does have Internet and cell service.

It has also been reported that their was a major outage in Brampton due to a Rogers Fibre line being cut and there has been spotty service in Pickering and other areas.

Lots of overtime for some Rogers techs.

And the Shaw deal will be affected how?

July 12, 2022 10:55 am  #69

I’m just waiting for the CRTC decision on the Rogers-Shaw buyout.   Usually a sale of a radio station or even group of stations goes through but with Friday’s travesty I’m doubting the Commission will approve the sale.

July 12, 2022 11:58 am  #70

This just received from Rogers.  A Message from Ron McKenzie, President, Rogers for BusinessJuly 12, 2022 Dear Valued Customer,

On behalf of Rogers for Business, and the entire Rogers team, I want to offer my sincerest apologies for the impact that the July 8th outage had on your business, your employees, and your customers. We know how critical it is to stay connected and how much you rely on our services. It’s a top priority for Rogers to ensure that Canadians and Canada’s business community stay connected. The outage frankly did not reflect the level of service that we work hard to provide to our business customers every day. We know this is unacceptable.

I want you to know that you have our commitment that we will get to the core of what happened, so that we can ensure with careful analysis and planning that it never happens again. Now that the networks are returning to a normal state of operations, we are conducting an in-depth review of the outage with our global technology partners to understand in detail what happened, step by step. While this review is just getting underway, we have narrowed the cause to a network system failure that is being looked into further. Please see a Message from our President and CEO, Tony Staffieri, with further details.

We will proactively credit all customers automatically for the outage. This credit will be automatically applied to your account and no action is required from you.

As we complete the analysis we will continue to work with our technical experts and global partners to identify opportunities for enhanced resiliency and will continue to make significant investments in our networks to ensure stability for our customers, so that you can count on us for your business.

You have our commitment that we will earn your trust through our actions.

We sincerely thank you for being a loyal customer. Ron McKenzie
President, Rogers for Business

July 12, 2022 11:59 am  #71

djwildbill wrote:

I’m just waiting for the CRTC decision on the Rogers-Shaw buyout. Usually a sale of a radio station or even group of stations goes through but with Friday’s travesty I’m doubting the Commission will approve the sale.

I think the CRTC already approved it.... https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2022/2022-76.htm

Last edited by Radio.Intern (July 12, 2022 12:14 pm)

July 12, 2022 3:43 pm  #73

If businesses/consumers want to have transparency on the root cause of the outage, CRTC should be talking to the lead technical expert(s) at Rogers.   Anyone else (esp at the executive level) will spin the story to the point of dizziness.

July 12, 2022 3:48 pm  #74

Rogers will argue that they should be allowed to acquire Shaw so they can use their western based infrastructure as backup (sarcasm intended)

July 12, 2022 3:59 pm  #75

As long as former telco honcho Ian Scott is heading the CRTC, I would not expect anything from the Commission. Fortunately, his term ends at the beginning of September.

We can only hope whoever follows him in the $328,000 a year salary role cares more about, oh I don't know, the public the regulator is supposed to serve, than his cronies in the cable and cell phones industries. 

The public will be watching who takes his place.

July 12, 2022 7:46 pm  #76

In Phase wrote:

Rogers will argue that they should be allowed to acquire Shaw so they can use their western based infrastructure as backup (sarcasm intended)

Ha ha ha... giggle....

Remember the fire at Shaw Court in downtown Calgary about 10 years ago today?   started on the 13th floor and spread...  lots of business enterprise level gear as well as residential internet/phone/cable services based in that building, and some Corus radio cluster stations.... 

The  best laugh we had was when we heard that as bad as the fire was, the failure of technical infrastructure on the third floor was hastened by the use of a wet sprinkler system for fire suppression.  Genius!  psst. ever here of dry chemical???  

So, ya...  Western based back-up....   on-line and ready to go!!! 

Last edited by Glen Warren (July 12, 2022 7:59 pm)

July 13, 2022 1:34 am  #77

turkeytop wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

So, to use your pizza analogy, it's like having gourmet pizza at the pizzaria, or having Mccain frozen pizza at home. Today the microwave broke.

The programming IS THE SAME.  

July 13, 2022 6:50 am  #78

Douglas Hicton:

"I used to be the creative director at CHFI/680 News in the early '90s. One day in July, Ted Rogers invited the staff to spend the afternoon on his yacht in Toronto harbour.

The affair was stunningly catered with about three times as much food as everyone could possibly eat—gourmet sandwiches, fresh exotic fruit, fine cheeses, smoked fish, the works. By the end, there were about ten enormous platters that hadn't been unwrapped yet, and a few more that were only partly eaten.

So I consolidated and rewrapped those partly used platters, grabbed everything and took it back to the radio station. I left one each in the control rooms at CHFI and at 680 News, for the on-air people who hadn't been able to join us because they were working. Then I signed out one of the CHFI vans and drove the rest of the food over to the Fred Victor mission, for whom we had run several PSAs.

"These are from Ted Rogers and your friends at CHFI-FM98," I told the staff at the mission, and they were very happy to get the food, as it was around dinnertime. Then I took the van back to the station and went home.

Next morning, sales director Scott Parsons called me into his office to say that Ted Rogers had just got done yelling at him for 15 minutes. Rogers was very displeased at what I'd done. Someone from the mission had phoned his secretary to thank him and the station for their generosity.

"So what's the problem?" I asked. "There was enough food for 50 people. I thought it would be good PR for the station."

Scott said, "Homeless people don't buy things."

"But it was delicious and it was just going to be thrown away!" I said.

"Ted doesn't believe in charity," said Scott.

"Well jeez, what was I thinking?!" I said, as sarcastically as I possibly could considering Scott was my boss.

My contract was not renewed a couple of months later. And that was how I came to despise Ted Rogers, his company, and everything he stood for. The only reason I had Rogers cable after that was that it was the only cable company operating in Toronto."

https://www.facebook.com/710815780/posts/pfbid0m4PQ3LDSkPZzDc9sUt37AmPbsYQs9N8sXRH57xBDqKpexZbyepdJ4bNznY1kesVdl/

July 13, 2022 9:21 am  #79

Thanks for sharing this story, Hansa. As I was reading it, I thought what a kind and thoughtful thing to do with all the uneaten and untouched food. I was literally shocked at how the story sadly ended.

July 13, 2022 9:49 am  #80

Radio.Intern wrote:

djwildbill wrote:

I’m just waiting for the CRTC decision on the Rogers-Shaw buyout. Usually a sale of a radio station or even group of stations goes through but with Friday’s travesty I’m doubting the Commission will approve the sale.

I think the CRTC already approved it.... https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2022/2022-76.htm

The CRTC has, but not the Competition Bureau which has the deal currently on hold.   They could manage to stop it, so I wouldn't say it's a done deal until they sign off, or the courts overrule.   CRTC is not the final say in this case. 

July 13, 2022 3:52 pm  #81

The Financial Post via Bloomberg weighs in:

Rogers-Shaw Deal Meets Skepticism After Outage Outrage

July 15, 2022 7:22 pm  #82

Rogers to separate wireless, wireline traffic to prevent outages like July 8th

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/07/15/rogers-separate-wireless-wireline-traffic-prevent-outages/

Last edited by cash (July 15, 2022 7:22 pm)

July 15, 2022 10:54 pm  #83

cash wrote:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/07/15/rogers-separate-wireless-wireline-traffic-prevent-outages/

I have a better idea. Send Rogers to the school of Telus&Bell to learn a lot about why they never go down. lol
(Or did they already do what Rogers is about to take two years to do...?)

July 16, 2022 11:12 am  #84

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

I have a better idea. Send Rogers to the school of Telus&Bell to learn a lot about why they never go down. lol
(Or did they already do what Rogers is about to take two years to do...?)

Telus and Bell share a ton of network from what I understand, especially out west.. if one goes they could both go.

July 18, 2022 9:33 am  #86

Here's hoping sanity prevails for once and the Rogers/Shaw deal is derailed for good. If past outcomes are any lesson, though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

From BNN Bloomberg:

Rogers CEO Goes on Apology Tour With 13 Days to Close Shaw Deal

July 19, 2022 11:15 pm  #87

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62174477

a new article on the whole fustercluck and what happens next

Last edited by betaylored (July 19, 2022 11:16 pm)

July 21, 2022 11:14 am  #88

Rogers replaces chief technology officer

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-rogers-taps-telecom-veteran-as-new-chief-technology-officer-after/

Last edited by cash (July 21, 2022 11:14 am)

July 21, 2022 8:02 pm  #89

Well,  we knew "Mr. Ed" (with apologies to the horse) wouldn't walk the plank; but the guy who did will be looked after.

12ft | Rogers exec ousted after system failure could be entitled to millions in compensation | The Star

July 21, 2022 8:30 pm  #90

Does not surprise me, anyone but Edward, but Jorge is actually going to clean up!