sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2022 11:31 am  #1

More Annoying Radio Commercials

Every now and then, there's a post here complaining about not just a ridiculous spot airing on local radio, but a terrible one. I define that as an ad that physically makes you reach for the dial to tune it out.

Tom Mihalik's endless opuses have done that to me for years and the Spence Diamond series isn't far behind (although they seem to be heading towards some kind of romance between the main boss and the Sarah character, which proves they've gotten through my natural defences!)

But the two newest irritants are even worse. The first is that guy sounding like a racetrack announcer, talking about coffee for some reason. I honestly have no idea what the spot is for because once he starts yelling at me, I'm long gone.

The other one that sets my teeth grinding is I think for Subway, where they're trying out a hopeless new 'spokesman' named Kai. It is so poorly written and acted out that I can no longer stay through the entire 30 seconds.

I realize there's some value in annoying commercials because they can get your attention. But when they cause tune-out, both the sponsor and the station lose out.

July 18, 2022 12:17 pm  #2

Re: More Annoying Radio Commercials

Actually, also, I have no plan to buy a lottery ticket until I see a FULL ad for Lotto Max. 
Those shorter versions of the ads send out subliminal messages
"DO NOT BUY A TICKET NOW. WAIT UNTIL THE JACKPOT GROWS..." 

So I'll wait until I see a proper full (long version) TV ad.  
It wouldn't hurt to come up with some new TV ads also.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 18, 2022 2:41 pm  #3

I wonder if the Spence copywrighter is actually Tommy Wiseau. The ads' approach to natural human dialog is very similar to The Room.

July 18, 2022 3:39 pm  #4

A few months ago, a SOWNY member named The Weed offered this background on the Spence Campaign. 

July 18, 2022 4:57 pm  #5

These ads weren't annoying and were actually quite funny. The ad team of Anne Winn and Garrett Brown did a number of U.S. spots for "Imported from Canada" Molson Golden Ale. One particular ad "The Border Crossing" ran for 13 years.

July 18, 2022 7:49 pm  #6

They really seem to enjoy sticking it to that Dutch goof in the other jewellery store ads by inventing one of their own.How much legal latitude is there for parodying the competition?

July 18, 2022 8:07 pm  #7

As those of us who listen to Terry O'Reilly's "Under the Influence" know, there's an art to making great radio spots and one of the best who ever lived was the late, great Dick Orkin. He may be better known to some here as the creator, writer and voice of "Chickenman," a syndicated radio comedy bit that ran in the 70s on CKFH. 

He was brilliant and his spots were so good, you actually WANTED to hear them. I wrote about two of my all-time favourites last year and they still put the Spences and the Subways of the world to shame. Man, what a talent. 

Radio Hall Of Fame: Dick Orkin

July 19, 2022 7:01 am  #8

Late 80's... beer ads.. Cool Clear Crystal Beer... were hilarious.  I even enjoyed playing them!!

July 19, 2022 10:47 am  #9

pinto wrote:

Late 80's... beer ads.. Cool Clear Crystal Beer... were hilarious.  I even enjoyed playing them!!

Those Crystal ads were really well done and funny.  I remember the two guys in one ad singing "Crystal Beer in cans" to the tune of the dress lifting french cabaret "can can" music.  Something like- Can..can..Crystal beer in can cans..Crystal beer in can cans....Crystal beer in cans..so cold and smooth and good.... (and into a second verse).  That ad should have won some radio awards.  Crystal was only offered in certain test markets of Ontario but the ads certainly worked.  For a time I was a bartender and Crystal was always our #2 and sometimes #1 selling beer.  Initially they were only using radio for the advertising, but eventually sold the beer all over Ontario when the brand was selling so well and then used some TV and print.

July 19, 2022 12:59 pm  #10

There's a new spot that belongs in this category. It's for something with the unfortunate name of "Karen Phytoplankton." The jingle sings about a woman who has a kid and an ailing mother, and simply can't survive without whatever this supplement is. (I always thought it was a form of seaweed, but apparently I'm wrong.)

It's an unfortunate ad in several ways. First, most people have no idea what it's for and the spot doesn't exactly explain it. As Terry O'Reilly might say, 'there's no product benefit.'

Second, the words to the song that doesn't explain anything are hard to understand. 

Third, the name "Karen" has unfortunately become a pejorative for a busybody over-privileged person demanding to see the manager about some perceived and unimportant slight. 

And finally, one of the spots that's running has a spokesperson - in this case, a woman - assuring listeners that they've been in business for years and that it's not "snake oil." In my experience, when you have to say that in your ad, you've got to wonder why they felt it necessary to put that in the copy.

July 19, 2022 3:04 pm  #11

HI I'M CHERRY TABB FOUNDER OF (whatever, I hate it already)

Karen phytoplankton explained ...  https://www.cbj.ca/new-brunswick-company-makes-a-splash-with-ocean-picked-superfood/

July 19, 2022 3:11 pm  #12

Interesting read, but they didn't mention that it also cures cancer and COVID. I don't buy it and therefore, I won't be buying it! I would never put the words "snake oil" in my commercial, even if it's to deny that's what it is. Those words stand out, and frankly, whenever I think of the product - admittedly without trying it - those are the only two words that I'll remember. 

Besides, who wants to start eating algae?