sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2022 9:02 pm  #1

Would You Like To See This New Radio-Related Law Here?

Beginning July 1st, it will be a serious infraction to blast your radio at ear splitting decibels in the state of Florida. The new law means anyone caught driving with music too loud could be pulled over and given a $115 fine. 

"Audio can’t be clearly heard at a range of 25 feet or more, or roughly two lanes over. The law also states that sound can’t be louder than necessary for people in the car to hear near churches, schools, or hospitals."

I have a major street in my backyard and am deafened by this all the time. (I just wish they would extend it to the idiots who drive cars that make so much noise you can still hear their engines three or four blocks away.)

I'm not sure if we have such a rule in Ontario, but would you like to see one? Or are you one of those who think the louder the better?

No more blasting the car radio across Florida. New law means fines for drivers jamming out

June 30, 2022 10:19 pm  #2

Re: Would You Like To See This New Radio-Related Law Here?

Yes. And also Harleys.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 30, 2022 11:38 pm  #3

YES. Make that law happen here please!
It is very stupid to drive and not be able to hear an ambulance, or any emergency vehicle coming.
People who drive with loud music are idiots.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 1, 2022 12:09 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

People who drive with loud music are idiots.

And almost always have the worst taste in tuneage.

July 1, 2022 12:44 am  #5

When our oldest son was a teen we lived out on a gravel road in the country. He drove an old VW beetle. At night we could always tell when it was him coming up the road. We could hear the thumping and the headlights would be dimming to the beat of the thumps. He burned through a lot of alternators and batteries.

July 1, 2022 1:26 am  #6

WTF - is happening to Florida? They are suppressing anything that seems like it distracts. Or fun. Like loud music. I can't imagine why anyone would go there. And I do know a few Florida residents who have moved to other states very recently.

July 1, 2022 3:12 am  #7

Marsden wrote:

WTF - is happening to Florida? They are suppressing anything that seems like it distracts. Or fun. Like loud music. I can't imagine why anyone would go there. And I do know a few Florida residents who have moved to other states very recently.

Marsden, with all due respect sir, with thinking like that, you deserve to be the one in the ambulance that they're trying to get to a hospital as quick as possible. So much for "Seconds can save..."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 1, 2022 7:35 am  #8

According to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, a person having control of a vehicle shall not "make unreasonable noise" nor shall such driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any "unnecessary noise". While this law is designed to go after motor vehicles with modified and/or excessively loud exhaust systems, I suppose loud music could fall into this category. This would be a good question for the Tik Tok Traffic Cop.

July 1, 2022 9:05 am  #9

Marsden wrote:

Florida is really tough on distracted driving. They call it a secondary offense. The cop can't stop you for using the phone, but if you happen to be using it when he stops you for something else you can be charged.

So if you're driving the getaway car from a bank robbery and you see the flahing blue lights in your mirror, you'd better put down th phone. Or elese, on top op the armed robbery rap, you'll also be facing a $40 fine for distracted driving.

July 1, 2022 9:19 am  #10

I know this goes back a while to the 80's. But I used to love hanging out on Yorkville, watching the beautiful girls go by with music brought to you by your local Camaro.