sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2022 7:29 am  #1

Over A Month Later, Jim Richards Status With NT1010 Still Unclear

The New Rush debuted on April 11 - more than a month ago. That's how long it's been since anyone has heard the voice of Jim Richards on NT1010. Since then, there's been lots of speculation about his fate - was he off on vacation, taking a breather, given time off to readjust his body clock to overnights or simply let go? 

There is still no definitive answer and I admit to having no inside info on this subject, but after more than a month away from the mic, you have to think "Ryan Doyle" syndrome has set in again - and that he's gone. There have been no Twitter or Facebook updates on his pages since early April, his name never gets mentioned on the station (i.e. "sitting in for Jim Richards") and a search of their website brings up only a few instances of past shows that he hosted.

Talk about radio silence! 

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that he's no longer in the employment of Bell Media. Look, he was not a favourite of mine. But to be dumped so unceremoniously after so many years without so much as a goodbye or a thank you is typical of what happens in big corporate radio these days.

I hope for his sake I'm wrong. 

I don't think I am. 

June 1, 2022 11:36 am  #2

Re: Over A Month Later, Jim Richards Status With NT1010 Still Unclear

June 1, 2022 12:29 pm  #3

I have heard he is just on an extended break and will be back

June 1, 2022 12:48 pm  #4

Retrontario wrote:

I have heard he is just on an extended break and will be back

Perhaps he and 640's Alex Pierson can do a show together - if either ever returns to local airwaves. 

June 1, 2022 6:00 pm  #5

if he's out and they stole his "showgram" schtick that's pretty low.

June 1, 2022 11:14 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

if he's out and they stole his "showgram" schtick that's pretty low.

agree. I'm sure David Cooper is a lovely fellow and an adept radio personality but without Jim Richards there is no The Showgram. Van Hager vs. Van Halen

Once Mark Towhey is finished with the election edification, perhaps Jim can return...

Last edited by betaylored (June 1, 2022 11:16 pm)

June 2, 2022 9:58 am  #7

Charlie wrote:

In what capacity?  Mornings are taken with Moore and Agar, who aren't going anywhere.  Evan Solomon is solid from noon to two.  The 'New' Rush is lousy, but it won't be replaced for a good long time.  Evenings?  Bell doesn't seem very interested in a live body during that time slot, once Towhey (Twohey?) is finished with the election tomorrow.  Not a lot of hours in the day that aren't spoken for. 

I'd love to see Richards do weekend mornings (6-9 am) - when he filled in occasionally for the vacationing John Donabie, Larry Fedoruk and The Motts on 1010, I was actually surprised how well his slightly offbeat "zany" style worked for sleepy weekend mornings.

I realize it's profoundly unlikely to happen - there's now a CP24 simulcast on 1010 and I don't envision they'll bring back a local show in those hours. And even if they wanted to use Richards in some kind of "network" capacity for weekend mornings across multiple Bell stations (time-shifted/delayed for other markets?), a weekend morning show is usually something that works best locally in terms of road closures, festivals, extreme weather, etc. and I can't picture that working particularly well either.

I hope he resurfaces soon, somewhere!

June 2, 2022 10:18 pm  #8

June 3, 2022 12:09 am  #9

I have no idea what their plans are for Jim Richards, but I did hear the intro to the overnight show - and David Cooper was introduced as the "special guest host." Which would tend to indicate he hasn't been made permanent.

June 3, 2022 7:08 am  #10

mumbling richards....gone and forgotten

June 6, 2022 11:47 am  #11

I feel badly for people who don't "get" Jim Richards.  He is extremely talented - so funny and quite a joy to listen to.  On hard news he's a very good interviewer and doesn't back down.  Maybe he is too intelligent for the audience Newstalk wants to capture especially in the afternoon.

June 6, 2022 12:24 pm  #12

I guess I am one of the people who doesn't "Get" Jim Richards. I have never enjoyed his show.

June 6, 2022 9:36 pm  #13

If you consider out how long Jim was with CFRB, he must have received a substantial severance package (if he's no longer employed there.)

He may be appreciating the break and the opportunity to catch his breath, and figure out what he wants to do next. Things that entertained and satisfied us in our twenties can feel limiting and too much of the same old thing by the time we reach middle age. Been there, pun that.

Could 640 eventually make him an offer? I believe he started off at Sportsnet, so there's lots of different directions for Jim to choose from.