sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2022 5:46 pm  #1

"There is never a wrong time to do the right thing."

https://twitter.com/JennValentyne/status/1527986278825922561?t=YjnoOtTzZfjF5FYuBP-MAw&s=19

Most will know who the people are that Jenn refers to in this video.

Will let you watch it without any comments from me except to say I respect Jenn's courage and eloquent words about what she's gone through.

May 21, 2022 10:41 pm  #2

Re: "There is never a wrong time to do the right thing."

I always noticed that towards the end of both Maureen’s time and Jennifer’s time on the show that both of them sounded like a shell of who they were. Never put the pieces together. Boy do I feel like a dummy now.

May 21, 2022 10:56 pm  #3

Wow, Jennifer names names.  I hope she is okay.

never worked ever, in radio

May 22, 2022 5:58 am  #4

Well said.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 22, 2022 7:43 am  #5

Good for her, I'm hoping others will come forward.

May 22, 2022 9:09 am  #6

May 22, 2022 9:14 am  #7

Wow, this took some courage.

Looks like Jennifer had two troublesome bosses. I well remember when the one-time news director at City TV, where she was on Breakfast Television, was fired. There was a now deleted topic about it on one of the social media sites that detailed the allegedly questionable way many employees were treated under this guy's regime.

I still remember that one poster called it "the greatest thread in the history of the Internet."

This Twitter post may well be another.

May 22, 2022 9:51 am  #8

Interesting to see what, if anything, happens at Corus and Q. Most likely nothing. 

May 22, 2022 10:48 am  #9

May 22, 2022 12:35 pm  #10

Good for her speaking up. Frankly, staff at Corus, Rogers, and Bell would all benefit from unionization. 

Last edited by Hansa (May 22, 2022 12:36 pm)

May 22, 2022 1:13 pm  #11

So - any thoughts on who is going to replace Derringer in the Morning once he's axed (or the senior management who enabled him)? Corus needs a shakeup from top to bottom. 

May 22, 2022 1:25 pm  #12

Going to be some Corus execs having an anxious long weekend in Muskoka.

May 22, 2022 1:49 pm  #13

Hansa wrote:

So - any thoughts on who is going to replace Derringer in the Morning once he's axed (or the senior management who enabled him)? Corus needs a shakeup from top to bottom. 

is Mike Stafford still around? 

May 22, 2022 2:21 pm  #14

Hansa wrote:

Fearless Fred and Joanne? Or Kella? That’s who I would pick and it should start Wednesday. Monday Tuesday there should be no show, not sure if they would be on on Monday anyways. But no show until Wednesday no ads of Derringer. Just a prerecorded corporate statement every hour and then Wednesday the new show.

May 22, 2022 5:42 pm  #15

Certainly seems incongruous with his support of the "Abuse Hurts" campaign.

May 22, 2022 5:45 pm  #16

Vaping is not allowed in the workplace. Call the Ministry of Labour. 

May 22, 2022 6:51 pm  #17

RonaldS wrote:

Certainly seems incongruous with his support of the "Abuse Hurts" campaign.

I was thinking the same thing. 

May 22, 2022 9:11 pm  #18

Speaking of mistreating employees, here's an article from the Buffalo Evening News about what's going on behind the scenes at WIVB. Sadly, it seems to be everywhere, folks.

Channel 4 news director fired; 'toxic work environment' cited

May 23, 2022 7:53 am  #19

Hansa wrote:

Good for her speaking up. Frankly, staff at Corus, Rogers, and Bell would all benefit from unionization. 

Actually, most production staff at Bell & Rogers are unionized - Unifor. Doesn’t really help, after paying union dues for years they couldn’t be bother to send a rep to my lay-off meeting with HR, as per the collective agreement. It was hugely disappointing, as I was one of those fools who had faith in my union at the time. Sure learned the hard way!

May 23, 2022 7:56 am  #20

I applaud Jennifer. It was sickening to watch. Not everyone believes you should stand up and speak your truth and it will be interesting to see/read if anyone else comes forward. She's already been backed by Maureen, Jacqui, and there's a tweet from Jessica Baker 

Her post highlights a sad reality when it comes to the broadcasting industry but more importantly that radio is still "an old boys club".
How many of us grew up in this business only to be told that women perform news and traffic positions and if you want to be a jock, it's middays?
How many of us have been told "don't get pregnant? It will ruin your career. 
How many of us have been told "You're a mom now and you're not as good anymore" 
You're only in this management position because we need to have a woman in that job. 
No one will ever listen to an all female morning show or a solo morning show host that's female? 
How many of us have heard "if you tell people about this or you make noise after you leave, you'll never get hired anywhere else?" 

How many of us are still being told this in 2022? 

May 23, 2022 11:24 am  #21

Shorty Wave wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Actually, most production staff at Bell & Rogers are unionized - Unifor. Doesn’t really help, after paying union dues for years they couldn’t be bother to send a rep to my lay-off meeting with HR, as per the collective agreement. It was hugely disappointing, as I was one of those fools who had faith in my union at the time. Sure learned the hard way!

That's disappointing to hear. I still think being unionized is better than not being unionized, but obviously the quality of union representation varies. It's certainly easier to launch a grievance against management for shitty treatment if you are unionized - if you're not unionized you have to deal with HR which is part of management and hope for the best, and more likely keep quiet until you're fired or quit and then go to an expensive lawyer and go to the courts. 

May 23, 2022 11:27 am  #22

I stopped listening to Q-107 in the morning way back when Stern was non-stop toilet humour.  So I've never listened to Derringer, so can't give an opinion on his style/presence.

Question: Was Derringer solely an a-hole to just women or pretty much a pompous a-hole to everyone?  

May 23, 2022 2:59 pm  #23

People really love Jennifer Valentyne  and she has a very large and loyal following so BT dropping her never made sense to me (even though BT's cheery enthusiasm is not what I'm looking for at 7 am, many people respond to it and Valentyne was great at it - and she was a good addition to Global's morning show and they should have been thrilled to have her rather than kick her to the curb). I think her being wronged by Corus is going to infuriate a lot of people, even if they never listened to Q107, and will hurt Corus's brand in the GTA generally. 

Last edited by Hansa (May 24, 2022 9:09 pm)

May 24, 2022 8:27 pm  #24

I am a victim of workplace bullying and harassment, and I still have not recovered from the almost daily torture that I had to endure, including on weekends, when I was trying to rest and recover from the work week. The people who did the bullying, harassment, malignant narcissism and full-on verbal and emotional abuse are/were in management positions, and they know full well that they did it and that they ruined me - and they do NOT regret even one thing that they did to me. They ruined my career, my reputation, and my chances of landing any kind of gainful employment. These bullies included top-level executives, and there was nothing - not even union grievances - that their victims could do about the bullying/harassment, which resulted in the termination of my (and others') employment "because of COVID" - the lamest, most B.S. excuse ever. God forbid an ex-employee get in touch with labour authorities, WSIB etc., because these top-level bullies and their HR people always knew exactly who was calling them out on their bullying, harassment and malignant narcissistic conduct.

This is reason number umpteen that traditional media, including radio, are nothing but dead to me, and should be dead to you as well.

May 24, 2022 8:55 pm  #25

I'm so sorry to hear what you went through. I once had an abusive boss, but he liked me, so I mostly escaped his wrath. Other workers, not so much. It's easy to say don't work for a jerk, but much harder to do when broadcasting jobs are scarce and so hard to get. There are 20 people waiting to get your gig if you give it up or get turfed. 

These things shouldn't happen, but all too often they do. 

On the other hand, I once had a boss in radio I would go to the ends of the earth for. Best person in charge ever and I would work for him again tomorrow, if he weren't in his 80s now and happily retired. I speak to him every now and then on the phone and he still sounds like he could be back on the air tomorrow without missing a beat. 

So sometimes, it's the luck of the draw. 

May 25, 2022 12:24 am  #26

rawkgurl wrote:

I applaud Jennifer. It was sickening to watch. Not everyone believes you should stand up and speak your truth and it will be interesting to see/read if anyone else comes forward. She's already been backed by Maureen, Jacqui, and there's a tweet from Jessica Baker 

Her post highlights a sad reality when it comes to the broadcasting industry but more importantly that radio is still "an old boys club".
How many of us grew up in this business only to be told that women perform news and traffic positions and if you want to be a jock, it's middays?
You're only in this management position because we need to have a woman in that job. 
No one will ever listen to an all female morning show or a solo morning show host that's female? 
How many of us have heard "if you tell people about this or you make noise after you leave, you'll never get hired anywhere else?" 

My favorite is the line from the Jurassic era that it's scientifically proven that women hear female voices differently than men do and women don't enjoy other women on air for that reason.  That's why you could never ever have an all female morning show.

May 25, 2022 6:51 am  #27

And yet there is one, right here in the GTA, on AM 740.

May 25, 2022 9:07 am  #28

Tomas Barlow wrote:

rawkgurl wrote:

My favorite is the line from the Jurassic era that it's scientifically proven that women hear female voices differently than men do and women don't enjoy other women on air for that reason.  That's why you could never ever have an all female morning show.

IS THIS A JOKE COMMENT?

Last edited by rawkgurl (May 25, 2022 9:08 am)

May 25, 2022 10:06 am  #30

RadioActive wrote:

And yet there is one, right here in the GTA, on AM 740.

There's also a team of two women in Calgary https://www.star959.ca/shows/breakfast-with-billie-jo-and-candice/

and a solo female show north of Toronto at https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/lindsay/shows/vanessa-murphy-1.15178947