sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2022 9:56 pm  #1

classic rock songs you are sick of hearing

hey jude
more than a feeling
stairway to heaven 

May 3, 2022 9:58 pm  #2

Re: classic rock songs you are sick of hearing

cash wrote:

hey jude
more than a feeling
stairway to heaven 

You need to hear Bing Crosby's cover of Hey Jude

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 3, 2022 10:55 pm  #3

AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long". Severely overplayed on not just classic rock stations, but classic hits stations too. And I actually like some of AC/DC's stuff.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 3, 2022 11:08 pm  #4

Rebel Yell- Billy Idol
Maybe I'm Amazed-Paul McCartney
Cocaine-Eric Clapton
Rock You Like A Hurricane- Scorpions
Live And Let Die- Guns N Roses
Hard To Handle- Black Crowes 
Hold On- Triumph
Turn The Lights On- Big Sugar
Knockin On Heavens Door- Guns N Roses
Eye Of The Tiger- Survivor
The Final Countdown- Europe
Workin For The Weekend- Loverboy
Only Want To Be With You- Hootie And The Blowfish
Hot Child In The City- Nick Gilder
White Wedding-Billy Idol   

May 4, 2022 8:15 am  #5

turkeytop wrote:

You need to hear Bing Crosby's cover of Hey Jude

Oh. My. God.

May 4, 2022 8:40 am  #6

Sweet Home Alabama. Patterson 1: I always preferred the almost never played original J.J. Cale version of Cocaine.

May 4, 2022 8:47 am  #7

mace wrote:

Sweet Home Alabama. Patterson 1: I always preferred the almost never played original J.J. Cale version of Cocaine.

And After Midnight - I prefer the JJ Cale version too

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 4, 2022 9:57 am  #8

Those songs I listed, it is not so much that I dislike all of them, but just hear them all the time on the radio, and you get burned out listening to them.   Q 107 and Boom seem to play about 60% of the same music.  Q more classic rock oriented and Boom more pop, however they play a lot of the same songs overall.  But hey, both stations are successful with strong ratings. 

May 4, 2022 11:12 am  #9

Why do they play Let It Be but never Let It Bleed?

May 4, 2022 12:08 pm  #10

As much as I heard them all so many times, they are still good.  I'd have to agree with most of the list although I rarely hear Eric Clapton Cocaine.

May 4, 2022 6:38 pm  #11

Almost all of them. The same ones are repeated over and over on any rock station I can listen too.

May 4, 2022 7:41 pm  #12

cash wrote:

Let it Be: 204K streams in North America this week.
Let it Bleed: 6K streams in North America this week

May 4, 2022 10:05 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

Let it Be: 204K streams in North America this week.
Let it Bleed: 6K streams in North America this week

I know what you are saying RadioAaron and at this point I think discussions about overplayed songs are fruitless in this market. I and many others are simply outnumbered in a consultant driven world where turn off tunes by the masses are tracked.. I realize that the days of getting to hear Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Steeleye Span or even the Dead Boys and Nick Lowe on the radio are long gone.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 4, 2022 11:41 pm  #14

Ten songs they could play just to mix it up:

far far away - slade
midnight eyes - nazareth
wishing well - free
time for me to fly - reo speedwagon 
morning dew - jethro tull
too many people - mccartney
it's all over now baby blue - them 
stop your sobbing -  pretenders
long dark road - the hollies
good times - the animals 

Last edited by cash (May 4, 2022 11:43 pm)

May 5, 2022 1:35 am  #15

cash wrote:

hey jude
more than a feeling
stairway to heaven 

I invite you to hear this version of Stairway - Please stay and watch the Zep and their reaction. 

May 5, 2022 7:08 am  #16

IMPRESSIVE!!  Where was this performed?

May 5, 2022 8:23 am  #17

mace wrote:

IMPRESSIVE!!  Where was this performed?

You must have somehow missed the caption at the top of the video which states "Live at Kennedy Center"
I think it drops off at points when the video is playing.

I have already stated my opinion that it's pointless at this late date to decry what we hear on the radio these days but I will chime in again because I saw the great Hollies song Long Dark Road listed on a post.

Alan Clarke did most of the lead singing with Hollies. Graham Nash also had his share of leads as did his replacement Terry Sylvester. Even Tony Hicks sang the very occasional lead along with his great harmony voice so pivotal to the Hollies.

There was one album recorded when Clarke had temporarily left the group. Swede Mike Rickfors took over as the lead singer and that incarnation of the group scored two Billboard hits and below is the better known of the pair:

Last edited by Fitz (May 5, 2022 8:26 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 5, 2022 8:47 am  #18

Mr. Marsden thanks for posting Hearts version of Stairway To Heaven from the Kennedy Center.  According to Youtube this was from the awards ceremony from 2012 and it was on CBS.  This was the full performance.  Youtube mentions that CBS showed a shorter or edited version for television which is a shame. Noticed how the audience and members of Led Zeppelin were enthralled and giving their total attention to this outstanding production of this timeless song.   

May 5, 2022 8:54 am  #19

I did miss the Live at Lincoln Center caption

May 5, 2022 11:28 am  #20

Heart is way overplayed, IMO.  I'd be happy never to hear Magic Man, Crazy on You, Barracuda, or What About Love again.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

May 5, 2022 1:12 pm  #21

Marsden wrote:

cash wrote:

hey jude
more than a feeling
stairway to heaven 

I invite you to hear this version of Stairway - Please stay and watch the Zep and their reaction. 

David, I find that whenever I'm down, watching that very video does wonders for the soul. With all our faults and foibles, humanity can soar.

May 5, 2022 6:22 pm  #22

I'd love to hear a show that features deep cuts from what are widely considered to be rock artists' worst records. Gotta take the bad with the good.

My sample Q107-esque boomer-friendly playlist:

Heart - Bright Light Girl
Black Sabbath - Digital Bitch
The Who - One at a Time
Styx - Music Time
Led Zeppelin - Candy Store Rock
Cheap Trick - Name of the Game
Neil Young - Arc
Rolling Stones - Back to Zero
The Guess Who - Smoke Big Factory
Lou Reed - No Chance
Fleetwood Mac - Stand on the Rock
Mott the Hoople - Here we Are
Rush - Hand over Fist
Queen - Rain Must Fall
Beach Boys - Johnny Carson
Iggy Pop - Knucklehead
Pink Floyd - Coming Back to Life
U2 - Miami
Ted Nugent - Lay with Me
Triumph - Riding High Again
Journey - Hustler
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Take it Like a Friend
Golden Earring - When Love Turns to Pain
Aerosmith - Jailbait
The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me 86 (Yeah I know it's from a compilation, but still)

May 5, 2022 8:10 pm  #23

re Johnny Carson by the Beach Boys. The album that comes from is considered by some Beach Boys fans as Brain Wilson's last stand with the Beach Boys in 1977. The album is off kilter and quirky. Below is a cover of a song from that album as done by Alex Chilton of Big Star cult Power Pop fame and the Box Tops Top 40 fame.

My vote for the worst Beach Boys song goes to Kokomo hands down. About as sad as We Built This City by Starship. What a long way down from the greatness of the Jefferson Airplane.

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 5, 2022 11:17 pm  #24

Ten other songs:

comin' home - bob seger
love you like i love myself - herman brood
i'm your captain - grand funk railroad
effigy - ccr
city to city - jerry rafferty 
shining star - bad company
all mixed up - the cars
the man who sold the world - david bowie
reckless - australian crawl 
love takes time - orleans 

May 6, 2022 10:01 am  #25

cash wrote:

hey jude
more than a feeling
stairway to heaven 

agree with you, and to riff on Chrisphen's post, it would be cool to have a regular feature on radio where they play the best and worst efforts of artists covering other bands songs.

This is Dolly Parton with a charming version of Stairway to Heaven. I'm sick of the song but not when I hear her do it.

https://youtu.be/YhTvxVxXJLQ

May 7, 2022 5:40 am  #26

One thing I would like to add to this thread is that thanks to the magic of You Tube all of the lost or semi lost tunes mentioned above are available at our finger tips. That was never the case back in the day.

Am a fan of garage rock, psychedelia, prog rock, country rock, power pop and other sub genres and if I want to hear, for example,  the British pub rock bands Bees Make Honey or  Help Yourself all I have to do is go to You Tube.

Back in the  70's I read reviews of Power Pop bands like Big Star and Stories in magazines like Creem and Crawdaddy and wanted the records but they were not played on the radio in Toronto not even on Chum FM or CFNY.  Looking back to the Billboard album action surveys I see that some enlightened FM stations actually did play Big Star. I never got to hear the group until 1980 when Gary Storm played the entire first album on WZIR. Still have what I taped off the radio that day but I never found the album here in Toronto until perhaps the mid 80's.

ok so now my thread crap on Big Star and Stories.

Both groups were similar in one aspect. They were led by members who had previous Top 40 success. In the case of Big Star, Alex Chilton was with the Box Tops. Stories was initially led by the great Michael Brown who was responsible for the two baroque rock hits Walk Away Renee and Pretty Ballerina by the Left Banke.

Stories actually had a big hit with Brother Louie but it was not power pop and was recorded after Brown had left the group.

Big Star became a cult favorite with many alternative bands citing them as an  influence. Perhaps their biggest  claim to fame in terms of popular success came when Cheap Trick recorded their song "In The Street" as the  the theme song of "That 70's Show."

Now if anyone wants a taste of either group they don't need the radio to hear them:

Last edited by Fitz (May 7, 2022 6:51 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 7, 2022 10:07 pm  #27

Fitz wrote:

re Johnny Carson by the Beach Boys. The album that comes from is considered by some Beach Boys fans as Brain Wilson's last stand with the Beach Boys in 1977. The album is off kilter and quirky. 

Yeah, I hovered on this. It's personal, though. 'Love You' was the very first record a seven-year-old me bought after receiving a plastic clamshell portable record player for Christmas. It was...less than expected.

No number of pennies on the cartridge could improve it.

Agreed that the Mike Love Kokomo-and-after era stuff is the actual worst.

I forgot to include Bowie on the playlist! Any random track off of Tin Machine is more than the sum of its parts.

May 7, 2022 10:16 pm  #28

Chrisphen wrote:

I'd love to hear a show that features deep cuts from what are widely considered to be rock artists' worst records. Gotta take the bad with the good.

My sample Q107-esque boomer-friendly playlist:

Heart - Bright Light Girl
Black Sabbath - Digital Bitch
The Who - One at a Time
Styx - Music Time
Led Zeppelin - Candy Store Rock
Cheap Trick - Name of the Game
Neil Young - Arc
Rolling Stones - Back to Zero
The Guess Who - Smoke Big Factory
Lou Reed - No Chance
Fleetwood Mac - Stand on the Rock
Mott the Hoople - Here we Are
Rush - Hand over Fist
Queen - Rain Must Fall
Beach Boys - Johnny Carson
Iggy Pop - Knucklehead
Pink Floyd - Coming Back to Life
U2 - Miami
Ted Nugent - Lay with Me
Triumph - Riding High Again
Journey - Hustler
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Take it Like a Friend
Golden Earring - When Love Turns to Pain
Aerosmith - Jailbait
The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me 86 (Yeah I know it's from a compilation, but still)

a great list of some of the worst songs ever. 

May 8, 2022 2:52 am  #29

Therein lies the problem. 

Almost every time a radio station gets a few calls from a listeners saying they don't like a song - that radio station removes the song from their library. Over a short period of time a lot of songs get removed. 

With very little left, radio stations feel safe playing the 30 songs remaining. And then to be really safe - the station plays those 30 songs over and over and over.

No adventure.  

While I have exaggerated slightly to make a point - it really is happening.

On a panel a number of years back - a listener ask an unnamed PD "why does radio play the same song every few hours?. The PD said - "Do you know how long most people listen to the radio?" 

I guess it's a Which Came First The Chicken or The Egg" kind of thing. :-) 

Last edited by Marsden (May 8, 2022 2:54 am)

May 8, 2022 4:10 pm  #30

Marsden wrote:

Therein lies the problem. 

Almost every time a radio station gets a few calls from a listeners saying they don't like a song - that radio station removes the song from their library. Over a short period of time a lot of songs get removed. 

With very little left, radio stations feel safe playing the 30 songs remaining. And then to be really safe - the station plays those 30 songs over and over and over.

No adventure.  

While I have exaggerated slightly to make a point - it really is happening.

On a panel a number of years back - a listener ask an unnamed PD "why does radio play the same song every few hours?. The PD said - "Do you know how long most people listen to the radio?" 

I guess it's a Which Came First The Chicken or The Egg" kind of thing. :-) 

I think what it is, is that for most radio listeners familiarity tests well  but those of us of who are or at least were radio fans familiarity breeds contempt in many instances. An example, American Girl by Tom Petty is a decent song but has been played on the radio for perhaps 46 years and more so after Petty's later success. Still played today.

A similar  classic "I'm On Fire" by the Dwight Twilley band got it's share of FM and even some AM airplay when it came out. I think it made the top 50 but the group never achieved anywhere near the success of Tom Petty and the song pretty much disappeared from the radio after about two years and now will probably test poorly to the average radio listener.

Cool Airchecks and More: