sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2022 5:10 pm  #1

How To Pick The Best Digital Over-The Air TV Antenna

I'm not sure how wonderful these touted products really are, but in case you're looking to get into over-the-air free TV and were wondering what works best, here are TV Guide U.S.'s recommendations for the best digital indoor TV antennas.

Of course, nothing beats a tower and a rotor, but not everyone has access to that set-up or wants to go quite that far or to that much expense. 

Can't say if these actually work as advertised (and keep in mind the prices shown are in American funds) but they may be worth a look. 

How to Pick the Best Digital Antenna For You

April 24, 2022 7:40 pm  #2

Re: How To Pick The Best Digital Over-The Air TV Antenna

I’ve found that in the ATSC age, you either get the signal or you don’t - and with an indoor antenna, you often don’t.

I was recently in Los Angeles and I stayed in an AirBNB that had a pretty good panel antenna. Despite the dozens of OTA signals in that city, I got a grand total of four stations - KCBS 2, KTLA 5, and two PBS stations. No NBC, ABC, or FOX affiliate, no KCAL and no KCOP. I was not in a mountainous area.

When I first lived in Vancouver, the only two stations I could pick up with an antenna were both from Bellingham, WA. None of the local signals from Mount Seymour came in.

A number of years ago I knew someone in Oshawa who relied on OTA. Their only digital signals were WKBW and CBLFT. Not one English signal from Toronto. They also got CHEX 22, which was still in analog at the time (and still a CBC affiliate).

It’s very different from the analog era, that’s for sure.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 24, 2022 7:46 pm)

April 24, 2022 8:24 pm  #3

I wouldn't waste your money on any of these "best" antennas, especially the flat panel one.  It is the most basic antenna and is directional.  I suggest the best bang for your buck is this outdoor directional antenna, but I still wouldn't pay more that $25 for it.

April 24, 2022 8:28 pm  #4

In Phase wrote:

I wouldn't waste your money on any of these "best" antennas, especially the flat panel one.  It is the most basic antenna and is directional.  I suggest the best bang for your buck is this outdoor directional antenna, but I still wouldn't pay more that $25 for it.

I've seen quite a few of those on people's houses, not on a tower but just mounted around the outside second floor window. I have no idea if they work or what they pull in, but I would suggest a booster if possible. That really makes a difference on weaker signals - at least it has for me. 

April 24, 2022 8:57 pm  #5

We cut cable last year and have one IPTV box which my wife mostly watches. I have had one of those flat indoor Antenna with a booster for several years but the last time I used it was when the WBCN special was shown on WNED. I mostly stream shows and channels on the computer now.

I get CFTO, TVO, CBC, CFMT, Global and WNED pretty much all the time. I think City is also mostly in. Channel 2 and 4 are in about 80 percent as are a few other Buffalo stations and sub channels. I don't recall how WKBW comes in.  All with the flat indoor antenna.

This gent has a lot of videos about Antenna and he must be really getting popular as he has now started doing ads within his videos and you will have to suffer through that at he beginning of this fairly recent review of a pair of rabbit ears. I have a  similar designed pair of rabbit ears and I will probably try that on the TV.

Last edited by Fitz (April 24, 2022 9:04 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 25, 2022 5:48 am  #6

I'm in Whitby and have a dual bay on the roof, one points to Toronto, the other to Buffalo.  I get plenty of stations.  All the US networks, their sub-channels plus Ion TV which I don't think is carried on cable.  MyTv may be another.

April 25, 2022 6:50 am  #7

Someone in my apartment building [Avenue/Wilson area] has the Clearstream 4 Max attached to his balconey facing SW. I don't know the guy personally but I assume he gets reliable Buffalo reception from his 3rd floor location. It has been there at least 3 years.

April 25, 2022 10:05 am  #8

Had a DB4E on my balcony on a pole in central etobicoke facing south on the 4th floor for 4 years until management changed and I got a letter saying it has to go.   It got pretty much everything and will not be atop my parents house soon.

Since the cable lines were in place I replaced it with a $15 "indoor" antenna, on of those that looks like a tiny roof top antenna on its own stand.   Still does decent on its own but some Buffalos like 2 and 4 can suffer. 

April 25, 2022 10:29 am  #9

RA, the best antenna is an individual thing, based on you location type of dwelling, budget and what stations you want to receive. Once you have determined that we may be able to give some suggestions .. I'm in Oakville and get easily 18 channels.

April 25, 2022 11:12 am  #10

I still believe that the Antennas Direct 91XG antenna is one of the best for gain and side-lobe rejection.  It is also "rugged" enough to withstand ice and extreme winds.  Now down to $63 on Amazon.ca.   Free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.  Not shilling for them, just a very good antenna.  

April 25, 2022 11:20 am  #11

I have the ICan Bar Design HD Antenna. One for each TV. I get upwards of 45 channels including the HD (not sure if that's the correct name. These channels are connected to the main channel IE out of New York, 7-2, 7-3 7-4 etc.

I live downtown and can see the CN Tower from my condo. Most condos don't permit outdoor antennae.

That and ROKU - and I'm a happy viewer. 

Last edited by Marsden (April 25, 2022 11:23 am)