sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2022 7:11 am  #1

April 3, 1957: CKOY Ottawa Interviews Elvis

Came across this "Today In History" feature that links to an ancient interview with a very young (22 years old) Elvis Presley, when he performed on this date in Ottawa. It was a rare moment - because of manager Col. Tom Parker's bizarre status, he didn't let Elvis out of the U.S. very often.  

The audio is fascinating because it shows how mature The King was even back then - while the interviewer asked typically stupid questions. It was a time when most adults believed rock and roll was a passing fad and that Elvis was a flash in the pan. It's obvious from the Q&A the CKOY news guy was one of them.

Today in Canada’s Political History: The King (of Rock and Roll) Visits Ottawa!

April 3, 2022 11:29 am  #2

Re: April 3, 1957: CKOY Ottawa Interviews Elvis

"Before Elvis there was nothing"  --  the late, great John Lennon

April 3, 2022 12:30 pm  #3

Where was this recording when I was in college?
Second year at Canadore College in North Bay, we were assigned a group project to produce a ten-minute radio documentary.  This was 1984-85 and my group of five decided to do it on the 50th birthday of Elvis, January 8, 1935.  There was a surprising amount of material, including a couple interviews.  We wanted to include streeters of favourite memories of Elvis.  This was just seven years after his death, yet students had few solid memories of their own, other than "my parents told me...".  Staff members at the college had great memories and gave us great tape.
By the way, we got 9/10 on the project.  Our communications teacher docked us for spelling Elvis's middle name "Aron".  I know there's some debate,  but at the time, our spelling was the prevailing one.

April 3, 2022 12:47 pm  #4

The interview was done by Mac Lipson.  I have a copy of it on a CD I purchased at a collectors show.  He played two shows in Ottawa, as the concert in Montreal was cancelled due to pressure from the Catholic Church.

April 3, 2022 2:20 pm  #5

Radio Bob wrote:

Our communications teacher docked us for spelling Elvis's middle name "Aron".  I know there's some debate,  but at the time, our spelling was the prevailing one.

Elvis' Tupelo, Mississippi birth certificate states his middle name as "Aron".      Accept no substitutes

April 4, 2022 9:06 am  #6

Before the Apr 3rd Ottawa performances, Elvis did two shows at Maple Leaf Gardens on Apr 2nd. His only other Canadian appearance was at Vancouver's Empire Stadium on Aug 31st, 1957.

April 4, 2022 12:32 pm  #7

Ale Ont wrote:

He played two shows in Ottawa, as the concert in Montreal was cancelled due to pressure from the Catholic Church

That's another apology (while he's at it) the Pope owes Canadians

April 4, 2022 1:38 pm  #8

April 4, 2022 1:40 pm  #9

FWIW, CityNews Ottawa's AM station (CIWW 1310) was originally the aforementioned CKOY. 

April 4, 2022 11:03 pm  #10

Ale Ont wrote:

The interview was done by Mac Lipson.   

I had the pleasure of working with Mac nearly 50 years ago.

Great guy old guy who for some strange reason took a shine to then teenaged me

I also met & talked with the infamous Colonel Tom Parker

Saw Elvis in concert one time.

My wife remains envious to this day lol 

April 5, 2022 7:34 am  #11

unclefester wrote:

I also met & talked with the infamous Colonel Tom Parker 

Am curious about the place & era of your meeting with "the infamous Colonel Tom Parker", who never left the United States (after he took on Elvis in 1955) and who spent considerable time losing Elvis' money in Las Vegas

April 5, 2022 9:21 am  #12

It was in Vegas

When it was pointed out to me who he was he was playing a slot machine

​He was a well documented gambling addict

Our interaction took place a few days later

Last edited by unclefester (April 5, 2022 9:26 am)

April 5, 2022 12:55 pm  #13

When in Las Vegas (downtown, before today's strip) the bar band was Larry Lee & the Leesures out of London (ON).    That was a few decades before Colonel Tom had his own personal bar stool

Larry had a local, Southern Ont. hit with "Someday" at the time.    Have never heard either Robbie Lane or Freddy Vette play "Someday".   

Pity.    

April 5, 2022 1:22 pm  #14

geo wrote:

When in Las Vegas (downtown, before today's strip) the bar band was Larry Lee & the Leesures out of London (ON).    That was a few decades before Colonel Tom had his own personal bar stool

Larry had a local, Southern Ont. hit with "Someday" at the time.    Have never heard either Robbie Lane or Freddy Vette play "Someday".   

Pity.    

We take requests at SOWNY. Here's your song. All 1:51 of it!

April 5, 2022 1:46 pm  #15

I've heard Larry Lee's Stood Up a few times on the Roger Ashby Oldies Show. Good tune that reached #19 on the CHUM Chart in 1963. 

April 5, 2022 2:40 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

We take requests at SOWNY. Here's your song. All 1:51 of it! 

Thank you; is an honor and a pleasure to have a say in the music you play

geo