sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2022 4:42 pm  #1

Does Newstalk 1010 Need A Brand Update

Isn't it time Newstalk 1010 puts some of the shine back on their brand, maybe with an updated version of the popular listeners meet the CFRB personalities public event, "Up Close and Interactive" I think it was called?

It feels like the station has been in limbo, coasting along ever since Jay Michaels left for Montreal. Giving away money on-air the way they currently are is one thing, but it's not enough.

Host the get together in a large space for safety's sake, with most of the on-air talent on a panel, offer a generous number of tickets to the listeners and maybe even raise some funds to support Ukraine.

Last edited by betaylored (March 21, 2022 5:18 pm)

March 21, 2022 5:28 pm  #2

Re: Does Newstalk 1010 Need A Brand Update

Beyond the COVID excuse, it would be a pretty small group on that stage.

John Moore, Jerry Agar, Jim Richards. Other than the overnight guy, who I believe is based out of New York City, there simply isn't anyone else. I don't think Evan Solomon would pass up his CTV News Channel show in Ottawa to come here for it. Maybe they could bring in Robert Turner, but there's no longer any weekend people or news types who could come. 

I think it would just show how lean the station is running these days and that's why they'll probably never do it again in the foreseeable future. 

March 21, 2022 5:32 pm  #3

I have been to several of the "Up Close And Interactive" shindigs. Bell supplied pizza, finger foods and a cash bar with your first drink free before the panel begins. During this time you get a chance to meet and chat with the various personalities. I've met John Moore, Jerry Agar, Kim Geddes, Ryan Doyle, Jim Richards and John Tory.

March 21, 2022 5:51 pm  #4

Stick a fork in it. CFRB was killed by Bell the minute they fired the newsroom. Sorry Randy nut there's no point in putting lipstick on a pig. Especially one that's been stuffed.

March 21, 2022 6:08 pm  #5

Mojo 1010 - Talk Radio for Guys.

March 21, 2022 6:20 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

Mojo 1010 - Talk Radio for Guys.

Why do I get a scary feeling that would be a lot cheaper to run? Not a bad idea. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2022 6:42 pm  #7

Rune wrote:

Stick a fork in it. CFRB was killed by Bell the minute they fired the newsroom. Sorry Randy nut there's no point in putting lipstick on a pig. Especially one that's been stuffed.

/Thread

March 21, 2022 8:33 pm  #8

"In Depth and Interactive" I believe it was called

March 21, 2022 9:24 pm  #9

Whatever happened to "News every 30 minutes...bulletins at ONCE!" ?  
AM 640 should steal that idea...from the Global newsroom before CFRB somehow figures out how to restore the idea...from the CP24 newsroom.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2022 9:28 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

Whatever happened to "News every 30 minutes...bulletins at ONCE!" ?  
AM 640 should steal that idea...from the Global newsroom before CFRB somehow figures out how to restore the idea...from the CP24 newsroom.

Sadly with no newsroom...no one to do bulletins.   Way to often you hear "as you can see here" from TV audio being used that isn't designed for radio at all.   CTV or not.. credibility is an issue now. 

Just my opinion.