sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2022 7:41 am  #1

Randy Bachman's "Vinyl Tap" To Return On Corus Stations In March

Randy Bachman will be back and Taking Care Of Business, with a new version of his old CBC show. 

It will be syndicated by Corus, and air on stations across the country, including Hamilton. No word if there's a Toronto outlet taking it yet and I'm not sure exactly which one it would fit here.

The "new" old show, with no real alterations beyond commercial breaks and the day it airs (Sundays), debuts March 6th. There will also be more episodes, increasing from 36 at the CBC to 48 for Corus, meaning new episodes will virtually every weekend of the year. 

Randy Bachman’s ‘Vinyl Tap’ prepares to take another spin on syndicated radio

February 15, 2022 10:58 am  #2

Re: Randy Bachman's "Vinyl Tap" To Return On Corus Stations In March

Well good for Randy, I always liked the show though it was getting a bit tired. It'll be interesting to hear how the syndicated version is different (even though he says it'll be the same there are bound to be some differences).

February 15, 2022 2:56 pm  #3

Apparently, Orbyt Media - the Bell syndication service that distributes the Roger Ashby Oldies Show - is also playing a part in selling this show. Bachman's site has a list of the stations that will be airing it when it starts next month. I was wondering which station in Hamilton would be taking it. Turns out it's Y108, the Corus station at 107.9, which is actually licenced to Burlington.

-Rock 101 Vancouver,
-BIG 101.1 Barrie,
-Q107 Calgary,
-Boom 101.9 Cornwall,
-The Chuck 92.5 Edmonton,
-Y108 Hamilton,
-BIG 96.3 Kingston,
-107.5 Dave Rocks Kitchener,
-FM96 London,
-101.5 The Wolf Peterborough,
-Power 97 Winnipeg.
-CHOM-FM Montreal,
-Sarnia 106.3,
-Chatham-Kent 95.1, and
-Wingham 94.5.

Vinyl Tap Returns To Canadian Radio

February 15, 2022 5:47 pm  #4

I wonder if a Toronto station will take it? I assume Q107 and CFNY had first dibs and passed. I could see Vinyl Tap on Boom. 

Last edited by Hansa (February 15, 2022 5:47 pm)

February 15, 2022 6:01 pm  #5

It's going to be on Q

February 15, 2022 8:55 pm  #6

Where in Ottawa?  CHEZ, boom99.7, Rebel, Live 88.5?
Anyone heard?

February 15, 2022 9:39 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

It's going to be on Q

They were on the list as of RadioActive's earlier post (which is when I checked the announcement on Bachman's site as well). They must have jumped on board late this afternoon.

Last edited by Hansa (February 15, 2022 10:01 pm)

February 15, 2022 10:38 pm  #8

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

It's going to be on Q

They were on the list as of RadioActive's earlier post (which is when I checked the announcement on Bachman's site as well). They must have jumped on board late this afternoon.

Probably a cut & paste error. Individual Corus stations didn't have a say.

March 2, 2022 8:02 am  #9

Airtime on Q107 will be Sunday nights from 9 -11 PM, beginning March 6th.

Vinyl Tap On Q107

March 2, 2022 10:49 am  #10

I phoned the Corus group in Ottawa and left a message.  That was two weeks ago.  But I never received a call back.
Typical of private radio stations.  They are in the communication business and don't communicate.

March 2, 2022 9:15 pm  #11

It's unlikely to air in Ottawa. I'd explain why, but then I'd have to deal with 5 paragraphs about why playing songs people don't know or don't like is actually good for ratings.

March 2, 2022 10:26 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

It's unlikely to air in Ottawa. I'd explain why, but then I'd have to deal with 5 paragraphs about why playing songs people don't know or don't like is actually good for ratings.

But Aaron, your "explanations" are always the same...it's either cancons fault or doing anything innovative won't make any difference. Songs that people don't want or like?  Nice how you can speak for everyone...

March 2, 2022 10:36 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

But Aaron, your "explanations" are always the same...it's either cancons fault or doing anything innovative won't make any difference. Songs that people don't want or like?  Nice how you can speak for everyone...

Non-hits are non-hit for a reason. I'm not speaking for anyone...they've already spoken for themselves.

March 3, 2022 9:56 am  #14

I can't remember where I read this years ago, but it stuck with me. "People don't know what they like, they like what they know"

March 3, 2022 10:20 am  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Non-hits are non-hit for a reason. I'm not speaking for anyone...they've already spoken for themselves.

Non hit doesn't mean lousy music. And a non hit can become a hit and does.  Ottawa and Montreal English radio are great examples of that. Often that secondary non hit becomes the next single.  That's one reason why these cities are superior and more interesting and competitive radio markets than Toronto with stations that get great ratings.

Radio programmers, consultants, music directors either can't be bothered or don't have the talent to determine music that their target audience would like to hear.  So let's have Billboard decide for us!  Is that why programmers don't like cancon?  Because they actually have to make a decision and do some work?   But hey, when in doubt, let's continue to play cancon gold instead...  Billboard once told us it was a hit.  Yeah the people have already spoken...except they are in LA and NY. 

Last edited by paterson1 (March 4, 2022 11:02 am)

March 3, 2022 1:54 pm  #16

Ale Ont wrote:

Where in Ottawa?  CHEZ, boom99.7, Rebel, Live 88.5?
Anyone heard?

As far as I can tell from the lineup of stations airing the show, it is not going to be on a station in Ottawa. But if the rumours of a jump flip are true I would bet that would be the landing spot for the show.

March 7, 2022 5:34 pm  #17

did anyone tune in?

March 7, 2022 8:08 pm  #18

cash wrote:

did anyone tune in?

I caught the last few minutes. Sounded pretty much like the CBC version except with commercials (and more like the CBC version when the show first began as he was talking more about himself than he had in recent years.)

March 7, 2022 8:32 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Non hit doesn't mean lousy music. And a non hit can become a hit and does.  Ottawa and Montreal English radio are great examples of that. Often that secondary non hit becomes the next single.  That's one reason why these cities are superior and more interesting and competitive radio markets than Toronto with stations that get great ratings. 

Ottawa and Montreal station ratings are measured against other stations also subject to the same rule. I'm not sure how you can say they have "great ratings" despite it. Ottawa also has the lowest share of ratings going to music vs. talk stations in the country. 

Billboard and other charts aren't *dictating* was is or isn't a hit, they're *reflecting* it. It's a statistic, not an opinion. And the decisions aren't made in LA or NY. Have you ever looked at actual local research? Turns out, popular songs are popular, and radio stations become more popular when they play more popular music. Crazy!

Nothing packs the dance floor at a wedding like the DJ getting 'creative' and spinning songs most in attendance have never heard!

And again, if non-hit's not hurting, it's not working. It's designed specifically to reduce listenership.

As for the subject at hand, the show isn't on in Ottawa (yet) because the natural station to air it runs a format that already struggles to meet not-hit. Randy plays hits and the station stacks non-hits in the show's time-slot. If they aired it, they'd have to move two hours worth of dud songs into more prime hours.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 7, 2022 9:08 pm)

March 11, 2022 11:55 pm  #20

Well Ottawa is a big government town so the fact that talk has a larger share vs music shouldn't be surprising. 

Wedding music?  Please God help us all!  Who cares what packs the dance floor at a wedding.  We have all heard and seen the Chicken Dance, Boot Scootin Boogie. Wasn't That A Party, YMCA, The Time Warp and many other novelty songs pack the dance floor at weddings.  Can hardly wait until BOOM puts all of these in regular rotation!  Besides at a wedding people are in a totally different mood than listening to the radio at 2 in the afternoon.  

I don't buy the point that the non hits are there to suppress listenership.  That sounds too much like "consultant speak" to me.  Yeah I guess if you pile half of the non hits for the day altogether from 9:30 to midnight with no announcer or actually telling the listeners what you are playing, the ratings likely will go down.  Duh!  Besides the ratings will slide after 10pm regardless. 

Enlightened stations like CHOM and Hot 89.9 in Ottawa that tend to treat their non hits the same as all of the other songs and  spread this music more even over the day have better results.  Stacking or cramming in certain dayparts is never a good move.

Billboard top 100 absolutely reflects more than just statistics.  If the decisions are not made in NY and LA then you are saying that Toronto radio and research does make the hits then?  That's not what you said a few weeks ago. Are the new songs presented for consideration not influenced by what is trending somewhere else?  Not saying there is anything wrong with this but in fact the decisions what to present in the first place are made elsewhere.  

March 13, 2022 5:52 pm  #21

paterson1 wrote:

Well Ottawa is a big government town so the fact that talk has a larger share vs music shouldn't be surprising. 

Wedding music?  Please God help us all!  Who cares what packs the dance floor at a wedding.  We have all heard and seen the Chicken Dance, Boot Scootin Boogie. Wasn't That A Party, YMCA, The Time Warp and many other novelty songs pack the dance floor at weddings.  Can hardly wait until BOOM puts all of these in regular rotation!  Besides at a wedding people are in a totally different mood than listening to the radio at 2 in the afternoon.  

I don't buy the point that the non hits are there to suppress listenership.  That sounds too much like "consultant speak" to me.  Yeah I guess if you pile half of the non hits for the day altogether from 9:30 to midnight with no announcer or actually telling the listeners what you are playing, the ratings likely will go down.  Duh!  Besides the ratings will slide after 10pm regardless. 

Enlightened stations like CHOM and Hot 89.9 in Ottawa that tend to treat their non hits the same as all of the other songs and  spread this music more even over the day have better results.  Stacking or cramming in certain dayparts is never a good move.

Billboard top 100 absolutely reflects more than just statistics.  If the decisions are not made in NY and LA then you are saying that Toronto radio and research does make the hits then?  That's not what you said a few weeks ago. Are the new songs presented for consideration not influenced by what is trending somewhere else?  Not saying there is anything wrong with this but in fact the decisions what to present in the first place are made elsewhere.  

Just to play devil's advocate Boom plays a lot of Cancon on weekend mornings and it seems to work for them.

buy on iTunes
7:25 AM
JANN ARDEN
COULD I BE YOUR GIRL
buy on iTunes
7:17 AM
54-40
OCEAN PEARL
buy on iTunes
7:14 AM
THE ARCHIES
SUGAR, SUGAR
buy on iTunes
7:10 AM
GOWAN
You're A) STRANGE ANIMAL
buy on iTunes
7:06 AM
CROSBY, STILLS, NASH AND YOUNG
WOODSTOCK
buy on iTunes
7:02 AM
PLATINUM BLONDE
STANDING IN THE DARK
buy on iTunes
6:58 AM
BIG SUGAR
TURN THE LIGHTS ON
buy on iTunes
6:55 AM
THE STAMPEDERS
SWEET CITY WOMAN
buy on iTunes
6:51 AM
TRANS-X
LIVING ON VIDEO
buy on iTunes
6:42 AM
THE SPOONS
ARIAS AND SYMPHONIES
6:33 AM
NEIL YOUNG
HEART OF GOLD
buy on iTunes
6:30 AM
THE PARTLAND BROTHERS
SOUL CITY
buy on iTunes
6:26 AM
OUR LADY PEACE
INNOCENT
buy on iTunes
6:17 AM
THE GUESS WHO
FOLLOW YOUR DAUGHTER HOME
buy on iTunes
6:13 AM
ALANIS MORISSETTE
IRONIC
buy on iTunes
6:09 AM
THE TRAGICALLY HIP
TWIST MY ARM
buy on iTunes
6:06 AM
TROOPER
TWO FOR THE SHOW
buy on iTunes
6:02 AM
PUKKA ORCHESTRA
LISTEN TO THE RADIO
buy on iTunes
5:58 AM
BRYAN ADAMS
HEAVEN
buy on iTunes
5:53 AM
BARENAKED LADIES
IF I HAD $1,000,000

March 13, 2022 7:16 pm  #22

BOOM has always done this on weekends and weekends don't matter for much ratings wise. Through the week they don't stack as much but still can play 40-45% 6-8am.  I give them a bit of a pass since they play all gold, but whether it actually impacts ratings at all is doubtful.

BOOM to me  is starting to sound a little tired musically.  They do have solid on air talent and promotions but their music hasn't really changed in years and is lacking any WOW factor. They still are doing well but musically changes will happen when ratings start to slide.  

Stations like CHUM, Q107, Today and CHFI don't stack or very little through the week.  CHFI does on the weekend like BOOM. In CHFI's case this is largely because of their programming on Saturday night with Coop's Classics which doesn't play 35% cancon.  But again stations and national advertisers don't really care about weekend ratings.  Weekdays are what matters.  

Any evidence I have seen and just going by who is normally strongest in the morning and overall success, the level of cancon is not a big issue for listeners.  It's only important for some radio people who still think it's 1971 or those that have never liked cancon. Most morning shows actually don't play that much music because of more talk in the morning, contests, commercial load, weather, traffic and for some news. In the morning it is the personalities and the show that wins the ratings, the music is secondary.  

Last edited by paterson1 (March 13, 2022 7:32 pm)