sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2022 3:25 pm  #91

Re: Something's up at Flow

markow202 wrote:

Is it going to be talk radio with two songs a hour? Sounds like it.   For music purposes im already not going to listen to their CHUM playlist because as I said in my previous post somewhere, its going to be Top 40 for sure and sounds like they are re-inventing the radio wheel.   Its not going to work well.

While I do think they are playing some tracks that CHUM FM does, they are also playing stuff that CHUM FM does not. Not sure how much Arcade Fire, The Verve, Oasis and REM you will hear on CHUM FM but I have seen them all on the Today playlist. Also they are playing mostly music vs talk. Again not my cup of tea as they play only tracks that  that achieved mainstream success on various formats but I will give them marks in terms of something new for the city.

I would have liked a deep triple A format and my idea  of variety was the old free form progressive radio when listening provided a musical education. Cross genre from rock, jazz, folk, blues to classical. I realize that ship  passed for commercial radio in this area around 1984 when the Oil of Dog program ended on WUWU FM. CFNY did continue the fight for sometime in a more structured rock context until their switch to exclusively modern rock.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 14, 2022 5:12 pm  #92

So far it's more music and less conversations. Maybe it's because people don't know about the station yet and aren't calling in. The music mix is eclectic but some songs do repeat themselves more than others.

Meanwhile, I'm already curious as to where McGuire from "Vanessa and McGuire" is. Vanessa is flying solo and no mention was made of McGuire, even though the host from the shift before (who was on from 10-3 and not 10-2 as the website says) had specified that Vanessa and McGuire will be coming on after him.

February 14, 2022 5:21 pm  #93

eladb wrote:

So far it's more music and less conversations. Maybe it's because people don't know about the station yet and aren't calling in. The music mix is eclectic but some songs do repeat themselves more than others.

Meanwhile, I'm already curious as to where McGuire from "Vanessa and McGuire" is. Vanessa is flying solo and no mention was made of McGuire, even though the host from the shift before (who was on from 10-3 and not 10-2 as the website says) had specified that Vanessa and McGuire will be coming on after him.

It's possible that the McGuire of Vanessa and McGuire hasn't come in as yet. Down here in Buffalo, Cassiday Proctor was aware that she'd be getting a partner for her morning show at WEDG(103.3 the Edge), but he didn't arrive for a few weeks(Cass started, if memory serves, last November...and Anthony Wise didn't come in until early to mid December).

February 14, 2022 6:48 pm  #94

Well, I will say this - I can't recall a thread taking off like this one has in a very long time. More than 6,000 views and almost 100 replies in the space of just a few days.

If the interest in Today FM translates to ears and an early sample by average listeners, they should be very happy with the launch. 

February 14, 2022 7:00 pm  #95

ckg927 wrote:

eladb wrote:

It's possible that the McGuire of Vanessa and McGuire hasn't come in as yet. Down here in Buffalo, Cassiday Proctor was aware that she'd be getting a partner for her morning show at WEDG(103.3 the Edge), but he didn't arrive for a few weeks(Cass started, if memory serves, last November...and Anthony Wise didn't come in until early to mid December).

Apparently McGuire is on a holiday this week and will be joining the show next week. This was something already planned from what I have heard. So we will hear the duo next week.

February 14, 2022 7:17 pm  #96

This concept is interesting, but listening today, I didn't hear anything interesting.

The station needs to hire someone to help drive hyper local Toronto topics... then it could be really cool.

Bendixen would be good.

February 14, 2022 7:32 pm  #97

RadioActive wrote:

Well, I will say this - I can't recall a thread taking off like this one has in a very long time. More than 6,000 views and almost 100 replies in the space of just a few days.

If the interest in Today FM translates to ears and an early sample by average listeners, they should be very happy with the launch. 

I agree and so far Today is not bad in my opinion.  It is very much like some of the Pattison stations in the west, more chat than most stations. more listener interaction and wider variety of music and not always fixated on top 40 hits and overly familiar gold.  It is nice that  someone actually made a change in Toronto radio. Right now Today is playing a live version of The Man Who Sold the World which you don't hear on many stations. 

How is FLOW 98.7 doing?  Anyone listening?  I hope this works out for them and they keep their traditional audience but also able to attract a wider audience with hip hop in the mix.  I wonder if there is much that can be done to improve or strengthen their signal.  It is odd however, just outside of K/W 93.5 is no go (I get Six Nations radio) but at 98.7 I was able to pull in FLOW somewhat, noisy but it was there.  For both stations I will need to listen on line.  

Last edited by paterson1 (February 14, 2022 7:56 pm)

February 14, 2022 10:49 pm  #98

ckg927 wrote:

eladb wrote:

McGuire is the national Country midday host for Stingray, which he will continue to do. Vanessa is the afternoon host at Z95.3 Vancouver, which I hear she will also continue to do. Technology! Multitasking!

February 15, 2022 3:56 am  #99

The station is a mess.  No one likes all of the songs played in a given 20 minute period.  I expect a flip within two years as this station will never get above a 3 share.

February 15, 2022 5:45 am  #100

Tomas Barlow wrote:

The station is a mess.  No one likes all of the songs played in a given 20 minute period.  I expect a flip within two years as this station will never get above a 3 share.

Tweaking first before any flip, no doubt. But yeah, as the dust settles and the new station hype starts to fade, watch them adjust the format to become a "90's 2k and today" station instead of literally just playing anything, as they seem to be doing... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 15, 2022 10:12 am  #101

Listened to it today for a bit.  Maybe I got unlucky but I heard about 8 commercials and then Bohemian Rhapsody came on (like I haven’t heard this song enough times in my life) by then I was frustrated already. 

On a positive note it’s the same kind of format Moose FM 1033 up north has.  I love it but it’s also a station that plays two commercials, the announcers do news and weather and the rest is jammed with music so it’s great.

February 15, 2022 10:19 am  #102

Yes, for the brief time I spent listening to it, I noticed what seemed like an excessive number of spots in a row. If I weren't monitoring it as a new station, I would have turned it off long before the sixth minute of commercials came on. I don't see how they expect anyone to sit through that long a stopset. 

February 15, 2022 11:09 am  #103

Today for me at least is refreshingly different for Toronto radio. I mean yesterday they played Hurt by Johnny Cash.  Not a song you hear much in the GTA.  They have even featured a few great Canadian indie bands. So far from being a mess, I find the music overall interesting.   As has already been mentioned this type of format has been successful in three or four markets in Western Canada.  Will it work in Toronto?  Let's see.

Has there been any local press on this yet?  There should be but Toronto media could be blissfully ignorant of the changes for both 93.5 and 98.7, or they don't care. GTA media is pathetic covering local radio and TV in the fourth biggest media market in North America.   

I do like Paul and Nikki in the morning. Nice that Paul Harper has found more stable employment in Toronto.  He is the radio personality originally from Scotland who moved to Toronto a few years back and has been on BOOM on weekends.  He also had been hosting on PURE radio in Scotland.  I went to their sight and didn't see him listed any longer as a host.

The commercials aren't a big turn off.  I am interested to see who is advertising and since they have few commercial breaks per hour it is fair game that they play a longer cluster.  Not necessarily great for the advertiser but this has been the norm on music stations for years. 

The mid morning host just had a brief clip of a caller asking if this was the CHIN station?  He said that he actually had two chins.   

February 15, 2022 12:19 pm  #104

paterson1 wrote:

Has there been any local press on this yet?  There should be but Toronto media could be blissfully ignorant of the changes for both 93.5 and 98.7, or they don't care 

How do you define Toronto media.   The NOW paper?   Or (what's left of) the Toronto Star?    Any others that "should" report this major broadcast media event? 

February 15, 2022 12:58 pm  #105

geo wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Has there been any local press on this yet?  There should be but Toronto media could be blissfully ignorant of the changes for both 93.5 and 98.7, or they don't care 

How do you define Toronto media.   The NOW paper?   Or (what's left of) the Toronto Star?    Any others that "should" report this major broadcast media event? 

I am talking in general terms that Toronto media does a terrible job at covering itself as compared to other markets. I can't see how anyone could disagree with that since it is almost nonexistent.   No this is not a major broadcast event but it does warrant at least a mention or article in the Star and Sun, even local TV.  Format changes don't happen often in Toronto and so far other than industry publications nothing in local Toronto newspapers or television. And this concerns two local Toronto stations, that together have hundreds of thousands of listeners every week. 

Remember when CIMX 89X radio in Windsor went from alternative to country?  Newspaper and TV coverage in both Detroit and Windsor for days.  Their music change set off another format change in Detroit. But initially most of the coverage was 89X moving to country music.  Also interesting that it was Detroit media that broke the story ahead of Windsor. 

Toronto is a major media city but for some reason gets little local coverage of itself.  But hey let's cover what  Nicki Manaj wore getting into her limo last night. That's what Toronto readers and listeners really care about!

February 15, 2022 1:53 pm  #106

BlogTO has now posted an article about this, for whatever that's worth.
https://www.blogto.com/music/2022/02/the-flow-935-radio-toronto/

February 15, 2022 2:42 pm  #107

paterson1 wrote:

No this is not a major broadcast event but it does warrant at least a mention or article in the Star and Sun, even local TV.  Format changes don't happen often in Toronto and so far other than industry publications nothing in local Toronto newspapers or television. And this concerns two local Toronto stations, that together have hundreds of thousands of listeners every week...

Toronto is a major media city but for some reason gets little local coverage of itself.  But hey let's cover what  Nicki Manaj wore getting into her limo last night. That's what Toronto readers and listeners really care about!

Regulars here know that paterson1 and I don't often agree on a lot. But on this, I'm 100% in his corner. Radio has long been a hidden medium as far as the newspapers are concerned. 

Only Gary Dunford, once the irascible occupant of Page Six of the Toronto Sun, gave huge coverage to everything on the local dial. The Toronto Star used to have a regular radio columnist, the late Greg Quill. He used to drive me crazy, because almost every column was about CBC Radio, as if no other stations existed. But at least they had a fulltime guy on the broadcast beat. I remember when there were actual radio listings in the Star, as you can see in the 1958 example displayed below.  That was eons ago. 

Since both of those guys disappeared, radio coverage in the local press has been almost nil. I think the last truly big stories in the papers came when CHUM announced it was abandoning rock and roll to become The Team 1050 and when Wally Crouter passed away. Since then, almost nothing. (Tuesday's story on the return of Vinyl Tap is an anomaly and even then has an old connection to - what else? - CBC Radio.)

Part of the problem is that the papers have fired most of their entertainment reporters and those sections that used to be devoted to "Entertainment," now boast catch-all names like "Culture." The other is that radio has become the Rodney Dangerfield of media - no respect, no respect at all. Yet, as p1 pointed out, other cities still manage to cover the medium quite well. Alan Pergament in the Buffalo News has written dozens and dozens of columns on local radio down there. Today FM may yet wind up in the news because the format change has angered many in the Black community and that's catnip to the Star. But otherwise, it's not a story for them.  

Sadly, with declining listenership and the explosion of video streaming, I'm pretty sure the era of radio coverage in this city - with the occasional exception of the CBC - is gone for good. And other than sites like this, you probably won't be reading much more about it. 

February 15, 2022 4:07 pm  #108

Lorne wrote:

BlogTO has now posted an article about this, for whatever that's worth.
https://www.blogto.com/music/2022/02/the-flow-935-radio-toronto/

Now Magazine has also weighed in with its own article, including comments featuring reps from both stations. 

Flow radio moves up the dial to take over G98.7 in Toronto

February 15, 2022 5:56 pm  #109

I actually listened to this on my walk today and it's actually not that bad. So I saved it on my player. It's too bad the signal is not stronger. 

February 15, 2022 6:07 pm  #110

RadioAaron wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

eladb wrote:

McGuire is the national Country midday host for Stingray, which he will continue to do. Vanessa is the afternoon host at Z95.3 Vancouver, which I hear she will also continue to do. Technology! Multitasking!

SPEAKING of multitasking...Cass and Anthony do VT for a Cumulus station in Erie, WXKC(Classy 100). Cass does middays, while Anthony does PM drive.

February 16, 2022 8:19 pm  #111

So far, Global seems to be the only TV station that's taken notice of the change, with a website story and a video that ran on their 5:30 PM newscast Wednesday.

(Strange that a company that owns so many of its own radio properties would do a story on a competitor, but more power to them for not letting corporate interests get in the way.)

Flow 93.5 changes its tune after more than 20 years on Toronto airwaves

February 16, 2022 9:01 pm  #112

RadioActive wrote:

djwildbill wrote:

I’ve got to say I like the idea of what Today Radio is all about. Playing a very wide variety of music (hey, don’t most of us like a variety of genres) along with putting listeners on-air to talk about various things. Hey, I hope the format works for 93.5.

Interesting. I had the exact opposite reaction. When it comes to formats, I'm a purist. I learned a long time ago that whenever you turn on a radio station, you should get exactly what you expect. So CFRB should not be playing opera. CHUM-FM should not be featuring classic country. And Jazz FM should not be spinning music by Gwar. 

Today FM, from my short exposure to it, does not sound like the kind of radio I would listen to for long. True, their music choices don't exactly thrill me, but I'm way out of the demo. And I don't often seek out music OTA anymore on the occasions when I'm in the mood. 

That said, the few times I turn on say, AM740 to hear oldies, I'm disappointed if they're doing a talk show. That's not what I want from them or how they've positioned themselves. Stick to what the audience expects. 

Similarly, if I'm listening to TodayFM, and I'm expecting their music mix, I really don't want to hear a 5-minute segment on what someone gave their wife for Valentine's Day. Play the music or do the talk. But I don't think you can do both and satisfy anyone. 

It's a unique concept, I'll give them that. They also promise "55 minutes of music" every hour. Which may explain why when I turned them on at around 12:50 PM, I heard one commercial after another after another after another. It must have been a five or six minute stop set. I actually said out loud after about the 6th spot aired, "Another Commerical!" How does a brand new station that has just lost its former audience and has yet to really attract a new one sell all that air time? I find that baffling, given the audience is bound to be tiny, especially at first. 

Based on Boom, I think Stingray is a pretty sharp organization that runs a good ship. I'm just not sure if this isn't The Titanic they've launched on Monday. Still, it's terribly unfair to judge them on day one or week one. Six months might be a good time to give it another assessment.

I wish them well, hope it works for them and that Today has a tomorrow. But I'll probably be listening to a station where what I expect is what I'll get when I tune them in. And this isn't it.  

My two cents, which is probably a lot more than it's worth!

The music/talk format is quite popular in continents such as Europe and Asia, but audience in North America is arguably not a supporter of it. For me personally I'm not a fan of such format outside of the morning commute, but that's just my own take on it. 

I would describe the current Today Radio music selection as 25% boom, 25% The Move (defunct), 25% CHFI and 25% of music not heard on any other radio stations, resembling to a hybrid adult hits/hot AC format. However, the music selection is definitely too overwhelming for listeners. I'm not sure if people would find music by Nelly and Arcade Fire being played back-to-back intriguing, and it's likely they will tweak or change the format in a short period of time again, if not being able to retain audience for a long period.

93.5 has already had too many changes over the years, every time that owners of 93.5 attempt to tweak or change the format, they chased away audience rather than attracting them to tune in. The demographics that Stingray attempts to captivate this time is totally different from Flow, and they are being criticized for further marginalizing the interest of Black/ethnic audiences for playing music already available on multiple stations in Toronto. 

February 16, 2022 9:04 pm  #113

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I agree and so far Today is not bad in my opinion.  It is very much like some of the Pattison stations in the west, more chat than most stations. more listener interaction and wider variety of music and not always fixated on top 40 hits and overly familiar gold.  It is nice that  someone actually made a change in Toronto radio. Right now Today is playing a live version of The Man Who Sold the World which you don't hear on many stations. 

How is FLOW 98.7 doing?  Anyone listening?  I hope this works out for them and they keep their traditional audience but also able to attract a wider audience with hip hop in the mix.  I wonder if there is much that can be done to improve or strengthen their signal.  It is odd however, just outside of K/W 93.5 is no go (I get Six Nations radio) but at 98.7 I was able to pull in FLOW somewhat, noisy but it was there.  For both stations I will need to listen on line.  

Having only one station to serve previous audience of Flow and G is definitely not a very achievable target. The new Flow 98.7 won't be able to play only hip hop and R&B music, as they are required to play Caribbean music to satisfy their license requirement. Their playlist right now still significantly includes dancehall and soca music, with only a few more hip hop songs being added per hour. The signal deficiency is also another major problem attracting previous Flow 93.5 listeners on the east side of GTA, especially in Durham Region, where a huge percentage of Black population resides. The only station that plays similar music with Flow is Vibe 105, which is even more urban-centric in terms of music selection. However, their signal doesn't travel well beyond North York. Unless they apply for a power increase and relocate their transmitter to downtown, the only option for urban music would be 98.7 throughout GTA for a while.

February 16, 2022 9:24 pm  #114

Adrian106072 wrote:

The only station that plays similar music with Flow is Vibe 105, which is even more urban-centric in terms of music selection. However, their signal doesn't travel well beyond North York. Unless they apply for a power increase and relocate their transmitter to downtown, the only option for urban music would be 98.7 throughout GTA for a while.

For listening around the home, at least Vibe 105 is on the Rogers Digital Box @ 945. 
93.5 is also on the box @ channel 932.  (not sure if the new Ignite TV offers the same option)
Sadly, the new Flow 98.7 is NOT on the Rogers digital box. 

February 17, 2022 3:20 pm  #115

The program Q with Tom Power on CBC Radio did a segment on the loss of Flow 93.5, and spoke with former host Mastermind regarding the state of hip hop radio in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-50-q/clip/15895760-what-end-flow-93.5-means-commercial-radio-canada

February 17, 2022 4:22 pm  #116

Radiowiz wrote:

For listening around the home, at least Vibe 105 is on the Rogers Digital Box @ 945. 
93.5 is also on the box @ channel 932.  (not sure if the new Ignite TV offers the same option)

Unless it's the best kept secret, there aren't any radio stations available on Rogers Ignite (and I've looked more than once). There are some music stations programmed by, incidentally, Stingray.

February 17, 2022 4:36 pm  #117

eladb wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Unless it's the best kept secret, there aren't any radio stations available on Rogers Ignite (and I've looked more than once). There are some music stations programmed by, incidentally, Stingray.

Here's the Ignite guide, but I too do not see any radio stations to tune into:  https://issuu.com/gebz/docs/rogers_ignite_tv_channel_guide-toronto-complete

February 18, 2022 8:10 am  #118

February 18, 2022 9:39 pm  #119

=12px"Unless it's the best kept secret, there aren't any radio stations available on Rogers Ignite (and I've looked more than once). There are some music stations programmed by, inciden. tally, Stingray."

We have a grandfathered Rogers cable plan which does have some radio stations in the "900" section. It would probably not be what would be available in Toronto. A lot of the stations are Rogers including Jack from Vancouver, but many others, including all of our local stations. I have looked at other plans to reduce the cost, because Rogers is very pricey and going up this month, but the radio stations are not available. I don't use it a lot, but there have been times when I have used it. In the "700" section are the Stingray stations. The one I select most is Juke Box Oldies (50s and 60s music)

February 19, 2022 8:00 am  #120

I think Roger's plan is to keep jacking up the price of digital/legacy cable to the point where Ignite appears to be the better option. When I negotiated my new contract this month to keep what I have, I was able to whittle the price increase from $80/month to $30. And yes the radio stations are gone from Ignite. I don't think they will be returning.