sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2022 10:35 am  #61

Re: Something's up at Flow

I would suggest that, while format changes always make news here, this one is especially unusual, which is why it's attracting so much attention. It's very rare that one station transfers its format to another, especially when they're not owned by the same company. And then to have the original frequency undertake a mysterious new format - that's like catnip to the people here.

It's such a strange confluence of events in such a short time, it's an amazing story. I can't wait until Monday to see how it ends. 

February 11, 2022 11:26 am  #62

I'm curious as to what's happening now, what are they playing if anything, on the abandoned freq? I have no way of knowing, being as I live in Northern Ontario, plus the fact that I see no way to currently listen online.

February 11, 2022 11:44 am  #63

I just checked the online feed from Flow93.5, which incidentally, is still up and running. It matches what's playing on air, albeit slightly delayed. 

Radio Player: Flow 93.5

February 11, 2022 12:14 pm  #64

mace wrote:

I find it interesting that there are now two pages of discussion of a format change involving a radio station that most GTA residents don't listen to and possibly have never heard of. I understand the interest here because the majority of the comments are from people currently employed in the radio industry, retired from the radio industry or are just radio geeks like me. The only radio format changes that the general public was cognizant of were CHUM in 1986, and CFTR in 1993. Possibly the end of Country on CFGM and CISS as well. Not a criticism, simply a personal observation.

Well mace this is a radio forum, so it makes sense that we would be talking and speculating about the changes.  Makes no difference if most or all on here didn't listen to 93.5.  Almost all have heard of the station and a good number have tuned in at some point over the years.  I have, and FLOW for what they were doing was not a bad station at all.  They just messed around with the format too much over the years, had various ownership and on air changes, and Stingray doesn't want to give them any more time.  The new sound, whatever it ends up being should draw more listeners and compliment BOOM from a sales point of view. 

You are correct and I have mentioned before that Toronto radio, considering the number of stations in the market tends to have relatively few format changes.  This to me shows stability, Toronto listeners tend to be loyal to only a few stations, but also makes the market appear and at times sound static with little change.  Look at the markets in Western Canada, they have more flipping of formats than Toronto has ever had. 

There have been a few other changes over the years, Easy Rock 97.3 moving to BOOM, CISS going from country to Top 40 to JACK FM to Top 40 again.  CHUM FM in the mid 80's phased out rock and became more of an A/C format. CFRB dropping all music and moving to an all talk/news format, however this was a gradual change. And CHUM AM's dropping top 40 in 1986 was only the start of their many format changes, sports, oldies, CP 24, oldies again and then sports again.  

Last edited by paterson1 (February 11, 2022 12:32 pm)

February 11, 2022 1:08 pm  #65

paterson1 wrote:

Well mace this is a radio forum, so it makes sense that we would be talking and speculating about the changes.  Makes no difference if most or all on here didn't listen to 93.5.  Almost all have heard of the station and a good number have tuned in at some point over the years.  I have, and FLOW for what they were doing was not a bad station at all.  They just messed around with the format too much over the years, had various ownership and on air changes, and Stingray doesn't want to give them any more time.  The new sound, whatever it ends up being should draw more listeners and compliment BOOM from a sales point of view. 

I agree with this. Have I listened to Flow a lot? No (I did enjoy their stint as MOVE when they played more pop tunes and probably listened more back then). But as a fan of radio in general, these things interest me.

Last edited by eladb (February 11, 2022 1:08 pm)

February 11, 2022 2:19 pm  #66

eladb wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I agree with this. Have I listened to Flow a lot? No (I did enjoy their stint as MOVE when they played more pop tunes and probably listened more back then). But as a fan of radio in general, these things interest me.

When the change comes I do wonder if Toronto's other news media will give this any coverage. And if they do will it be from a business or cultural point of view.   Years ago it was a big deal if a radio station changed format.  Often CBC and or CFTO would even have a news report.  However over the past 15 years or so local radio coverage in Toronto newspapers and TV has been more or less non existent.

This doesn't mean that the readers of the Star or Sun or TV viewers aren't interested, but rather it does reflect on the other media, cutbacks and their priorities.  Maybe it is just that they don't want to promote the competition!

When I was in the newspaper business, we always had complaints within the company as to why we have an article and list the local radio ratings twice per year. I always thought this attitude was stupid and kind of paranoid. Readers likely found the articles interesting. Also it was great for a newspaper sales rep. since our daily readership stacked up very well compared to the local radio listener numbers.

It is worth noting however that much smaller markets like Buffalo give a lot of coverage to local radio and television in the Buffalo News. They even include local TV and radio ratings.  Toronto used to do this as well but no more.  Even here in Kitchener the Record has sporadic articles on local media and personalities. 

February 11, 2022 8:12 pm  #67

Hrick wrote:

Hot935.com was recently registered…

So was 935Today.com

February 11, 2022 8:32 pm  #68

mace wrote:

I find it interesting that there are now two pages of discussion of a format change involving a radio station that most GTA residents don't listen to and possibly have never heard of. I understand the interest here because the majority of the comments are from people currently employed in the radio industry, retired from the radio industry or are just radio geeks like me. The only radio format changes that the general public was cognizant of were CHUM in 1986, and CFTR in 1993. Possibly the end of Country on CFGM and CISS as well. Not a criticism, simply a personal observation.

FLOW had a higher CUME than CBC One in the last book.

February 11, 2022 8:41 pm  #69

Don't you mean CBC Two?

February 13, 2022 3:05 pm  #70

Well it's official, tomorrow 93.5 will be known as Today Radio!
The format will be broad based and something new in the Toronto market, playing everything from Country to Urban, essentially a millenial version of the "Jack" format.  A sampling of the artists which will be played include Dixie Chicks, Post Malone, Kylie Minogue, Bryan Adams, Drake, Arkells, Justin Bieber, Our Lady Peace, Ed Sheeran and Linkin Park.

And the jock lineup is now out!  As per https://935todayradio.com/hosts/
We have Paul Harper (from Boom 97.3) & Nikki Balch (previously at Beat 92.5 Montreal) in the morning.
Tyler Barr for middays (coming from Virgin 95.9 Montreal)
and afternoon drive with Paul McGuire (circa CMT) & Vanessa Newman (VT from Z95.3 Vancouver).

Station will be ran by Steve Parsons as GM, Crosby McWilliam as PD and John Downey for Promotions.

Last edited by PwrSurge (February 14, 2022 3:10 pm)

February 13, 2022 3:30 pm  #71

paterson1 wrote:

Don't you mean CBC Two?

No, Radio one. They're basically tied in central cume. 1.7m to 1.6m for CBC in the fall, 2.0 to 1.9m for Flow the book before. 

Or, for the most discussed station here:
Flow: 1.9M
CFRB: 0.8M

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 13, 2022 3:35 pm)

February 13, 2022 3:50 pm  #72

RadioAaron wrote:

No, Radio one. They're basically tied in central cume. 1.7m to 1.6m for CBC in the fall, 2.0 to 1.9m for Flow the book before. 

Is this A12+? I don't doubt your source, but how could that be when the publicly available numbers state CBLA is in the lead by a 300% margin?

February 13, 2022 4:44 pm  #73

I wonder if this format will be rolled out to other Stingray stations. Maybe replace the hot format and Z? Obviously cannot do it in Calgary as there is a Today radio there operated by a different company.

February 13, 2022 7:15 pm  #74

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Is this A12+? I don't doubt your source, but how could that be when the publicly available numbers state CBLA is in the lead by a 300% margin?

CBLA has that lead with Share, which takes into account time spent listening. CBLA listeners listen all day, while FLOW was listened to in frequent short bursts. Same number of people though.

February 13, 2022 11:54 pm  #75

PwrSurge wrote:

Well it's official, tomorrow 93.5 will be known as Today Radio!
The format will be broad based and something new in the Toronto market, playing everything from Country to Urban, essentially a millenial version of the "Jack" format.  A sampling of the artists which will be played include Dixie Chicks, Post Malone, Kylie Minogue, Bryan Adams, Drake, Arkells, Justin Bieber, Our Lady Peace, Ed Sheeran and Linkin Park.

And the jock lineup is now out!  As per https://935todayradio.com/hosts/
We have Paul McGuire (circa CMT) & Nikki Balch (previously at Beat 92.5 Montreal) in the morning.
Tyler Barr for middays (coming from Virgin 95.9 Montreal)
and drive with Vanessa Newman (VT from Z95.3 Vancouver).

Station will be ran by Steve Parsons as GM, Crosby McWilliam as PD and John Downey for Promotions.

Listened for about an hour, music is pretty good.

February 14, 2022 1:03 am  #76

It's now official...at midnight, the station identified itself as 93.5 Today Radio. Website and all the social media accounts appear to be up and running too.

February 14, 2022 1:12 am  #77

93.5 Today Radio Launches in Toronto!

Toronto, February 14, 2022 – After two years spent living very much apart, a new radio station has launched in Toronto that is all about bringing people together.

93.5 Today Radio a radio station built around conversations, stories, and experiences. The station invites listeners to “drop in anytime” to join the conversation by phone, text, or social media, sharing their lives and stories with engaging on-air hosts. While music is important, and the station plays all kinds of it, the real draw is the sense of community and connection.

“We are reflecting what life is like, in Toronto, at this very moment,” says Steve Parsons, General Manager of 93.5 Today Radio. “The radio station is like a dinner party, with friends sharing laughs and stories. We’re doing what a playlist can’t do and connecting with people through real-life experiences and emotions.”

Morning show co-host Nikki Balch says she was drawn to 93.5 Today Radio for that very reason. “Being on the radio used to be about being larger-than-life,” she says. “But 93.5 Today Radio isn’t like that. We’re just a bunch of normal goofy friends hanging out together.”

Between the conversations, 93.5 Today Radio will present an eclectic mix of music, unlike traditional radio stations that focus on a specific era or genre of music. According to Program Director Crosby McWilliam, the station will play pretty much anything. “We really do play it all,” says McWilliam. “You could hear Ed Sheeran followed by Queen, Keith Urban, The Weeknd, Gordon Lightfoot, Doja Cat. You just don’t know what will come next.”

The concept behind 93.5 Today Radio has already proven extremely popular elsewhere, with similar stations launching in Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg. In both Alberta cities, the format is consistently among the top-ranked in the market.

93.5 Today Radio can be heard on 93.5 FM across the GTA and is streaming 24/7 at www.935todayradio.com or via the Stingray Music app and the RadioPlayer Canada app. The station maintains a social media presence on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok at @935todayradio.

93.5 Today Radio is owned by Stingray Radio, owners of boom 97.3 and over 100 radio stations across Canada.

For information contact:
Steve Parsons – General Manager, Stingray Radio Toronto
416-323-5195
sparsons@stingray.com

About Stingray
Montreal-based Stingray (TSX: RAY.A; RAY.B) is a leading global music, media, and technology company with over 1,000 employees worldwide. Stingray is a premium provider of curated direct-to-consumer and B2B services, including audio television channels, over 100 radio stations, SVOD content, 4K UHD television channels, FAST channels, karaoke products, digital signage, in-store music, and music apps, which have been downloaded over 160 million times. Stingray reaches 400 million subscribers (or users) in 160 countries. For more information: www.stingray.com

February 14, 2022 1:30 am  #78

brian451 wrote:

The concept behind 93.5 Today Radio has already proven extremely popular elsewhere, with similar stations launching in Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg. In both Alberta cities, the format is consistently among the top-ranked in the market.

The Variety Hits/Adult Hits Jack/Bob format is very popular out west too. Failed in Toronto, NYC, Chicago... 

February 14, 2022 1:57 am  #79

Sunny wrote:

brian451 wrote:

The Variety Hits/Adult Hits Jack/Bob format is very popular out west too. Failed in Toronto, NYC, Chicago... 

Jack failed in Toronto because Rogers did not care for it properly.  Boom is very similar to what Jack was (in Toronto) and they are doing very well, better maintained and all. (radio personalities, etc...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 14, 2022 2:03 am  #80

This is a bit different than Jack as it seems they will place an emphasis on listener interaction. Jack was focused on the music and, when Rogers tried it on 92.5 in Toronto, didn't they go jockless for a while before hiring hosts right before they switched the format back to Kiss?

February 14, 2022 3:06 am  #81

eladb wrote:

This is a bit different than Jack as it seems they will place an emphasis on listener interaction. Jack was focused on the music and, when Rogers tried it on 92.5 in Toronto, didn't they go jockless for a while before hiring hosts right before they switched the format back to Kiss?

Jack Toronto went jockless (their worst mistake) then they switched format to be a Rock station shortly before switching back to top 40.  Too bad too because they would have done well as a rock station if they simply changed the name of the Station.  I know quite a few people who wouldn't tune in because they honestly believed that Jack was just playing what they want and Rock was just what they wanted to play for the time being, and hip hop or some totally different thing would get played...next.  No need to listen to a "we play what we want:" Jack FM when there's already a "We ALWAYS PLAY ROCK" Q107 down the dial.

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 14, 2022 3:07 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 14, 2022 3:22 am  #82

My point was, a format that might work in one market or region, will not automatically work in Toronto. These pressers are all put together in 5 minutes and it shows.

February 14, 2022 10:13 am  #83

Sunny wrote:

My point was, a format that might work in one market or region, will not automatically work in Toronto. These pressers are all put together in 5 minutes and it shows.

I can only assume some market research went into this....   Mind you I'm not sure you will get a non-radio listener to come back to radio to try this...  but perhaps they may steal enough people who flip the dial between stations.    I think the whole thing is more to balance the budget sheet.   I would assume this format will be easier to sell and have much more broad appeal to clients willing to buy than Flow did. 

The big issue is more the Flow listeners because when you listen to "Flow 98.7" it is not even remotely close to the original Flow.   The license for sure has many limits on 987, and it will be interesting to see of that helps or limits their growth in listeners..    They do subscribe to the book, so time will tell.    

February 14, 2022 10:19 am  #84

RadioActive wrote:

I'm trying to remember the last time there was a situation in Toronto radio where there was not only a format switch, but a frequency change, as well. The closest I can recall came on Feb. 6, 1995 when Telemedia-owned The Fan 1430 moved to become Rogers' The Fan 590, leaving canned country playing on the old dial position. 

The following year, Telemedia sold the station to Fairchild, which turned it into CHKT, the all-Chinese station, which it remains to this day. 

But this one is slightly different in that it's FM and the old owners aren't looking to dump 93.5 and instead will immediately be putting a new format on the frequency in only a few days.

This just doesn't happen very often and it's a unique moment in this city's radio history. 

It's not *really* a frequency shift though but the transfer of a brand. The station itself isn't moving and the new FLOW is retaining its staff. Has that ever happened before? 

Last edited by Hansa (February 14, 2022 10:19 am)

February 14, 2022 11:25 am  #85

Is it going to be talk radio with two songs a hour? Sounds like it.   For music purposes im already not going to listen to their CHUM playlist because as I said in my previous post somewhere, its going to be Top 40 for sure and sounds like they are re-inventing the radio wheel.   Its not going to work well.

Last edited by markow202 (February 14, 2022 11:26 am)

February 14, 2022 12:18 pm  #86

Radiowiz wrote:

Buffalo NY still has a throwback station. Vibe 98.9. 
I believe it's working for them there, but they also don't have to worry about 35-40% Can Con.

98.9 the Vibe is a satellite-delivered format(which is also on a co-owned daytime-only AM, WBBF/1120)....and if you go down to Erie, PA. it's on the HD2 channel of WXKC/99.9(Classy 100)AND on the 104.3 translator(as 104.3 the Vibe).

February 14, 2022 12:49 pm  #87

I’ve got to say I like the idea of what Today Radio is all about.   Playing a very wide variety of music (hey, don’t most of us like a variety of genres) along with putting listeners on-air to talk about various things.  Hey, I hope the format works for 93.5.

February 14, 2022 2:08 pm  #88

djwildbill wrote:

I’ve got to say I like the idea of what Today Radio is all about. Playing a very wide variety of music (hey, don’t most of us like a variety of genres) along with putting listeners on-air to talk about various things. Hey, I hope the format works for 93.5.

Interesting. I had the exact opposite reaction. When it comes to formats, I'm a purist. I learned a long time ago that whenever you turn on a radio station, you should get exactly what you expect. So CFRB should not be playing opera. CHUM-FM should not be featuring classic country. And Jazz FM should not be spinning music by Gwar. 

Today FM, from my short exposure to it, does not sound like the kind of radio I would listen to for long. True, their music choices don't exactly thrill me, but I'm way out of the demo. And I don't often seek out music OTA anymore on the occasions when I'm in the mood. 

That said, the few times I turn on say, AM740 to hear oldies, I'm disappointed if they're doing a talk show. That's not what I want from them or how they've positioned themselves. Stick to what the audience expects. 

Similarly, if I'm listening to TodayFM, and I'm expecting their music mix, I really don't want to hear a 5-minute segment on what someone gave their wife for Valentine's Day. Play the music or do the talk. But I don't think you can do both and satisfy anyone. 

It's a unique concept, I'll give them that. They also promise "55 minutes of music" every hour. Which may explain why when I turned them on at around 12:50 PM, I heard one commercial after another after another after another. It must have been a five or six minute stop set. I actually said out loud after about the 6th spot aired, "Another Commerical!" How does a brand new station that has just lost its former audience and has yet to really attract a new one sell all that air time? I find that baffling, given the audience is bound to be tiny, especially at first. 

Based on Boom, I think Stingray is a pretty sharp organization that runs a good ship. I'm just not sure if this isn't The Titanic they've launched on Monday. Still, it's terribly unfair to judge them on day one or week one. Six months might be a good time to give it another assessment.

I wish them well, hope it works for them and that Today has a tomorrow. But I'll probably be listening to a station where what I expect is what I'll get when I tune them in. And this isn't it.  

My two cents, which is probably a lot more than it's worth!

February 14, 2022 2:13 pm  #89

Broadcast Dialogue has more on the launch:

Stingray introduces 93.5 TODAY RADIO to Toronto

February 14, 2022 3:00 pm  #90

I am confident this station will go good for Toronto because this format works well in the three markets already that have a variation of this station. I know many people in Edmonton that listen to Now radio (same format and first like it in Canada) just to hear what may come up next. On that station I have heard Garth Brooks, Frank Sinatra and Metallica all in the same hour. I will say however this is a station that will attract many younger listeners because of the presence they will have across social media platforms and the interaction they will have with listeners.