sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2021 11:03 am  #1

'RB Running Show Promo With Host's Named Mispronounced

For the last few weeks, CFRB has been running a promo touting its podcasts of various on-air shows, so you can always hear what you missed. That's fine. But what I don't understand is how this got to air without anyone noticing there is a major mispronunciation of one of the station's most prominent hosts. 

The promo talks about Jerry Agar's podcast. Except the reader calls him Aah-gar, instead of Eh-gar, as it's correctly pronounced. How did that get by both the voice talent and the producer? It's not overly outrageous, but you might think they'd want to get it right, since it's tubthumping the station's own people. 

It's a simple fix. I wonder if they will?

November 17, 2021 11:13 am  #2

Re: 'RB Running Show Promo With Host's Named Mispronounced

Again, another case of who is minding the store?  Why has someone not noticed...and corrected.?
There are 3 commercials currently running on tv that leave me shaking my head. One is on Hockey Night in Canada where the guy says...brought to you by "Hon-day".  Thought that must be a hybrid...Hyundai and Honda. It is actually Hyundai...which is Hun-day. If I am Hyundai..that is a little too close to " Honda" for my liking.  In another car commercial the announcer talks about the  Taos..calling it  " Touse" . I was thinking " Ta-ows"...like in New Mexico  and the old R. Dean Taylor song.  Finally there is the commercial where the announcer says..." not today Nah-zha. When did it become Nah-zha.? 

Last edited by fyshtalk (November 17, 2021 11:13 am)

November 17, 2021 11:16 am  #3

I remember hearing that 1970s NBC news anchor John Chancellor was very particular about how his last name was pronounced, resulting in the show's announcer saying "NBC Nightly News with John Chan-ce-LORE". It wasn't clear whether the announcer was just following instructions or if he was overdoing it to get his own back at the anchor. 

November 17, 2021 11:20 am  #4

and who can forget the owner that demanded that his radio staffers say Brant-FORD. No one outside of the radio stations ever called it that !

November 17, 2021 11:27 am  #5

There was a spot running for a while on Sauga960 for a local pain relief place, that had the female announcer mentioning it was a good facility to go to for treatment of Arthur-itis.

I sure hope Arthur didn't mind.  

November 17, 2021 12:08 pm  #6

I was listening to a friend reading the news and she pronounced the river in Washington D.C. PAT O MAC, when it should have Patomic (sp).  I called her and it was changed for the next newscast.

November 17, 2021 12:09 pm  #7

Correct spelling is Patomac.

November 17, 2021 12:33 pm  #8

Didn't the late Dick Smyth once announce ZZ Top as Zed Zed Top?

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

November 17, 2021 1:52 pm  #9

Paul Jeffries wrote:

22 Top

November 17, 2021 6:08 pm  #10

This sounds like a case of putting the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble.

November 17, 2021 8:21 pm  #11

Glen Warren wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

22 Top

22 Twain

note to self: rewatch the movie Murder By Death 🍿

November 18, 2021 10:18 am  #12

There's a commercial running for a car dealership that repeatedly says CAWS instead of cars... the jingle that follows sings cars properly. If it's intended to be cute alll it does is make me switch the station.