sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2021 9:17 am  #1

Radio Network Faces Dilemma After Star Threatens To Quit Over Vaccine

You probably remember the name Rush Limbaugh. You may be less familiar with his successor, Dan Bongino. But the former U.S. Secret Service agent-turned-talk show host was chosen to take over the late Conservative commentator's show.

Bongino is now openly defying his employer's "a jab or a job" policy, announcing on air that he will quit unless the company, radio giant Cumulus, gets rid of its vaccination mandate for all employees. "You can have me, or you can have the (vaccine) mandate. But you can't have both of us," he told his audience.

Whatever you think of his politics, his show airs on over 300 stations across the U.S. and that makes his a powerful voice in the argument. I bring it up not to talk left vs. right, but to ask: what do you do when your biggest audience getter threatens to quit over a policy management insists is necessary?

To make things even more confusing, Bongino is fully vaccinated and says he's doing this for those who object to the mandate but don't have the power he does. 

This is one to keep an eye on. Does the star win? Or does the company stand firm? We may no longer have radio dramas on the air these days, but this one is both ongoing and very public. I wonder who will come out on top. 

Right wing radio star threatens to quit his talk show over the radio network's vaccine mandate

October 19, 2021 9:35 am  #2

Re: Radio Network Faces Dilemma After Star Threatens To Quit Over Vaccine

That's not a problem. There's no shortage of people who can do talk radio for 300 stations and bring in respectable numbers.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 19, 2021 10:24 am  #3

As sincere as Dan appears to be, still smacks of a ratings hoax. His show doesn't have the ratings of Limbaugh's, maybe the ratings have even been in a deep dive.  300 stations sounds impressive but Limbaugh had 650 AM and FM US stations carry his program.   So this stunt will get publicity and likely a bump in numbers for the show. 

Sorry, this doesn't pass the smell test.  Even if he left the show, he is a newbie to the industry and has no deep roots in radio. Sounds like a move by Cumulus to manufacture a controversy or take advantage of a hot topic to bring attention to a falling talk program that is vital to the companies success and future.     

October 19, 2021 4:48 pm  #4

So many morons. My god!

October 19, 2021 4:52 pm  #5

Here's another one, featuring Dennis Prager as the crazy radio star attraction:

Conservative radio host says he caught COVID on purpose: 'What I hoped for the entire time'

October 19, 2021 5:25 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Here's another one, featuring Dennis Prager as the crazy radio star attraction:

Conservative radio host says he caught COVID on purpose: 'What I hoped for the entire time'

RA, really who cares?  

October 19, 2021 5:57 pm  #7

I thought it was an interesting radio story - which is what we try to discuss here. When the guy who took over Rush Limbaugh's show threatens to quit over his own company's vaccine mandate, I think that's pretty unusual. And you may be right - it could be a publicity gimmick. If so, I'll be fascinated to see how it's resolved with both sides saving face. Not sure how they'll do that.

I also wouldn't pooh-pooh being on 300+ stations. That's quite a big audience, no matter which side of the political spectrum you're on. I'm sure Bongino has a fairly wide audience, especially as an heir to Limbaugh. Neither is/was my cup of tea, but you can't deny they both draw/drew a sizeable audience. That alone makes it worthy, although I will admit it's not a local story, which is what the board is mostly dedicated to.

But a number of radio people are leaving their broadcast jobs stateside over this. I can't recall ever seeing anything quite like it in the industry. These gigs aren't easy to get, especially these days. To give them up for this reason seems crazy to me. And that, in turn, is what makes it interesting to me.  

October 19, 2021 6:01 pm  #8

Tell him it's your company, not his. Dan, you're done. Can we get you a cab. You've just voided
your contract.

October 19, 2021 6:38 pm  #9

I'd love to see them call his bluff.

October 19, 2021 6:58 pm  #10

If he weren't vaccinated, they'd absolutely have to - otherwise they'd have a problem on their hands enforcing it with any other employees. But he is, so he'll drag this out for publicity.

October 19, 2021 7:10 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I'd love to see them call his bluff.

👍👍

October 19, 2021 7:11 pm  #12

mike marshall wrote:

Tell him it's your company, not his. Dan, you're done. Can we get you a cab. You've just voided
your contract.

👍👍

October 19, 2021 7:20 pm  #13

Well I was really talking about the Dennis Prager stunt about him catching COVID on purpose.  Who cares?

In terms of Dan Bongino it's just more drama on US talk radio and a grasp to get publicity for a show that is not likely doing that well.   Yes 300 stations is impressive, but the owners of the program, Cumulus will not be impressed that Dan has also had a drop of over 300 stations from the 650 that the late Limbaugh had.  Sounds like they haven't been getting enough of these former stations back on the network quick enough.  So let's do something to get us some press and publicity!! 

Other hosts leaving their broadcast shows over forced COVID vaccinations for staff or themselves .... again who cares?  Radio story or not, it isn't that interesting when it is contrived.   How many actually left for good, or was it a manufactured story for ratings and publicity?  How many came back after the initial story of them leaving, and how many resurfaced elsewhere?

Remember the morning host in Boston back in May who "walked out" during his show because management was "suppressing" what he could talk about?  Yeah, buddy was working at a top 40 music station, Boston's number one morning show and management didn't want him talking about Demi Lovato and issues of being non binary.  Yes. the 71 year old host went to the wall on this, got lots of press.  All he talked about in the interviews was how great he was, how the other morning shows in Boston were crap and he was the best thing to ever happen to Boston radio etc. etc.  Oh, and he also showed up the next day after the big walk out on air, and all of the US national press.   Said he needed the money so he had to come back to the show.....

These are rating publicity scams that US talk and some American commercial radio does too often.  Sometimes it is obvious and funny, even entertaining.  But of late it is none of these things and takes away, cheapens an industry that is struggling financially, trying to attract listeners, and in many cases survive. 

Last edited by paterson1 (October 19, 2021 7:25 pm)

October 19, 2021 7:40 pm  #14

Actually, the Prager story was inspired by Dial Twister's comment that there are "So many morons." I had the Prager yarn well before that, but did not post it because I was getting tired of it. But this was another example of the "many" he pointed out, so it was timely for that reason. 

There are others: the ESPN sideline veteran who departed that network over their vaccine mandate. In her case, she was worried about a possible pregnancy. Another reporter for a Missouri TV newsroom left over the jab order. A Cumulus host on a Detroit radio station also said goodbye because she wouldn't agree to the aye of the needle. None of those were for publicity and all of them lost their jobs. And they weren't the only ones. 

Then there's Bongino and Prager, for whatever their motives might be. 

I would suggest the chances of these people landing another job isn't great, at least not until several years after the COVID crisis is past us. I completely disagree with all their decisions, but as someone who fully understands the fragility of broadcasting jobs - especially today - seeing all those people give up their gigs with no place to go over this issue seems to me to be worth at least noting, if not discussing. I can't recall ever seeing anything like it before. 

That said, you can always choose which threads to read here. Not everyone is interested in every topic. That's what makes the board so intriguing to me. I hope that doesn't stop.

Now about CanCon...

October 19, 2021 8:42 pm  #15

mike marshall wrote:

your contract.

Exactly.

October 19, 2021 9:14 pm  #16

Even though my posts are often long, meandering and repetitive, there are lots of topics on here that aren't interesting to me, and I don't comment but still do look at most of them.  Some never read my posts either since I likely put them to sleep, or they find my comments or  discussions not that interesting. 

Usually I will comment when I see misinformation, or incorrect fact, or a comment that is not telling the whole story, and more of a cherry picking of information. This is why I respond to your many comments on cancon and a few other topics RA!  

I found this site a nice break from the all COVID all the time coverage from our local media, which still acts like this should be the lead story on every newscast for the first 7 or 8 minutes. 

So it is kind of odd to me when more and more stories over the past few months come up on  SOWNY about a conservative host somewhere in the US that has a hissy fit about COVID or getting a shot.  Or they walk off or threaten to quit because of their position, or don't like the management telling them or employees what to do.

And again, I ask the question...who cares??  These personalities made their bed, so what is there to discuss?  And the others and organizations that did it for ratings or to try and get some press or publicity is beyond the pail.  This just hurts radio, and makes an industry that is hurting financially and hurting for credibility look even more utility and inferior.  

October 20, 2021 8:55 am  #17

First, let me say thanks for your kind words Mr. B. Not sure if they're deserved but they're certainly appreciated. 

I think it's only fair to say that paterson1 and I go back a long way on this board and he's always welcome here. We clash frequently (frankly, I think he enjoys the colloquy) especially on matters related to CanCon rules. He has a perfect right to his opinion and I'm glad he chooses SOWNY to express them. It's one of the things that's great about this place - the right to disagree and debate. 

The 'don't be a dick rule' is a good one, although I like to phrase it as "it's OK to disagree, it's not OK to be disagreeable." 

I expect p1 and I will have more go-rounds in the future, and I look forward to his future posts. And you may notice, our disagreements never get disrespectful or abusive. That's what I've tried to encourage and I don't think he's ever crossed the line.  

And while I do appreciate the support, never let it be forgotten that you guys are the true stars of this board. Without you, I'm just some idiot typing to himself. (I'm still an idiot, but at least I know I'm not alone!)  

October 20, 2021 1:41 pm  #18

Bentwater wrote:

RA, thanks for what you do, dedicating a lot of time to this board. 

👍👍

October 20, 2021 7:31 pm  #19

Well put RA. Yes have had disagreements and likely bored many here with our long posts back and forth but we have never got disrespectful with each other and I am sure we never will.  We do push the limits a bit and tease, but like one of our favourite shows SCTV, the comments are never intended to be mean or personal, and hopefully with a little humour.

And t;hank you for running and taking care of the best radio forum board I have come across.  I enjoy radiowest.ca as well but people don't post or discuss on there like they used to.   If you look around at some other radio sites they tend to have little activity or, they can be brutal.  I checked out one from Detroit recently, lots of good content, and surprising lots of posts about Canadian radio, cancon etc. but what struck me was how about 5 or 6 of the members were down right miserable and really cutting in their remarks to each other, or anyone that disagreed with them.   And these characters had been on the site for many many years, with negative even vulgar posts over many topics and a long time frame..    No thanks!   

Last edited by paterson1 (October 20, 2021 7:49 pm)

October 20, 2021 7:46 pm  #20

I never get bored with the RA/Paterson1 discussions. I actually look forward to them. Most of them end up agreeing to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

October 21, 2021 9:09 pm  #21

mace wrote:

I never get bored with the RA/Paterson1 discussions. I actually look forward to them. Most of them end up agreeing to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

Me Too!

I thoroughly enjoy RA/Paterson1 discussions. They both bring well considered points of view to the fore supported by experience.

Carry on gentlemen.

October 22, 2021 3:32 pm  #22

Has Dan Bongino quit yet?  No, apparently not.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 22, 2021 4:38 pm  #23

I don't see the dilemma. Unlike Limbaugh (or say Howard Stern), Bongino isn't a "brand" with a significant following. There are dozens of rightwing blowhards out there who could easily take his place.