sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2021 12:10 am  #1

Your Saturday Morning TV – Exactly 52 Years Ago Today

I was probably a bit too old by 1969 to get up and watch Saturday morning TV. But in going through some files this weekend, I came across this TV Guide listing page from October 18, 1969 – exactly 52 years to the day. Thought some here would like to see this blast from their past and what they may have gotten up early to watch.  

October 18, 2021 6:40 am  #2

Re: Your Saturday Morning TV – Exactly 52 Years Ago Today

By 1969, I was done with Saturday morning cartoons. I notice the "color" bar has been replaced by a "C"

October 18, 2021 7:58 am  #3

mace wrote:

By 1969, I was done with Saturday morning cartoons. I notice the "color" bar has been replaced by a "C"

Shortly after, the "C" was then replaced with "BW", as colour programs were becoming the norm and black & white programs were becoming the exception. Actually, it appears to be headed that way already, judging by the looks of this edition.

Mind you, colour TV was still a luxury for a lot of people, I think even well into the mid-70s. Our family didn't get our first colour TV until 1974.

About 40 years later, I'd buy my first high-definition TV. I think I'd equate the difference in HD and SD to that of colour and black & white.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

October 18, 2021 8:02 am  #4

Paul Jeffries wrote:

mace wrote:

About 40 years later, I'd buy my first high-definition TV. I think I'd equate the difference in HD and SD to that of colour and black & white.

PJ

There is one big difference, though - if you didn't have a colour set, you could still watch everything. If you didn't have a HiDef set after a brief "get ready" period, your TV was filled with snow - and you couldn't watch anything. And I remember that switch to a "black and white" indicator - it just became easier to list shows that weren't in colour. I'm not exactly sure when that happened but it was likely in the early 70s. 

October 18, 2021 8:35 am  #5

I remember when my parents purchased one of those digital converter boxes when analogue ended in Canada in 2011. I was shocked at the clarity of ch 2, 4 and 7. No more occasional rolling lines and severe flickering when a jet airliner flew over the house.

October 18, 2021 9:18 am  #6

I'm hoping your folks eventually got an HDTV. Prices have come way down and you can buy a set at a Wal-Mart for around $100. That would have been unthinkable when HD was launched. 

I remember our first colour TV set. It was in the early 70s and I'd been bugging my dad for years to get one. I don't think I realized we weren't well off or how much they cost back then!

The set we eventually got was made by Viking - which I believe was an Eaton's brand. And as a young neurotic type, I loved it, but it also drove me crazy. The picture had to be adjusted by tint, colour, and hue. I was forever fiddling with those controls trying to get the colour just right. But I never could. Today, of course, you don't need those and every set - even the cheapest ones - works mostly perfectly. 

There were also battles with my siblings over who would get to watch their show in colour and who was relegated to the now old fashioned black and white set that was put in another room. As the youngest of four, I frequently lost those fights!

As for the TV Guide, I checked. Listings from 1972 still used the "C" for colour. By 1973, it changed to "Black and White," as the samples below will attest.

October 18, 2021 9:53 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

mace wrote:

PJ

There is one big difference, though - if you didn't have a colour set, you could still watch everything. If you didn't have a HiDef set after a brief "get ready" period, your TV was filled with snow - and you couldn't watch anything. And I remember that switch to a "black and white" indicator - it just became easier to list shows that weren't in colour. I'm not exactly sure when that happened but it was likely in the early 70s. 

If you had a cable box (a DVR, or just a tuner box without the DVR functions), you could still continue watching on your standard definition TV. If you had just a straight cable leading to your set, you were SOL after the transition period.

Actually, I just recently bought another HD TV for my spare room, and apparently you still need a cable box to receive all the channels you subscribe to from your provider. I only get a very scant number of channels without it. (Unless I'm doing something wrong, although I did follow all the steps in the owner's manual).

PJ

October 18, 2021 9:54 am  #8

My parent's did upgrade their bedroom and kitchen tv sets in 2013. However, their basement set, a 1978 Zenith 20" was still in good working order when my sister and I started cleaning out the homestead after our mom passed in May 2016. The quality really did go in before the name went on. I think the set cost around $600 when it was originally purchased.

October 18, 2021 10:00 am  #9

I always wanted a Zenith when I was a kid, but they were way too expensive. I think they were the first TV sets with a rudimentary remote control. Here's an ad from way back in 1953(!) touting this special add-on. The $25 price tag doesn't seem like much now, but that was a fortune back then.

October 18, 2021 1:38 pm  #10

That "Lazy Bones" remote control was introduced by Zenith in 1950. Funny that a remote control was developed before the majority of consumers owned a television set. A wireless remote control called the Flashmatic surfaced in 1955. The following year Zenith began selling their version of a wireless remote called the Space Command.

October 18, 2021 2:34 pm  #11

I was always a fan of channels as a kid (and still today) so I remember waking up early one day and watching when CBLT changed over from channel 6 to the current channel 5.    I see in ‘69 it was still on 6 and by ‘73 it had changed to channel 5.   Does anyone here recall the date of the change in channels.  If I recall, CBLT first signed on with channel 13.    I know when it was on channel 6 it was on cable 13 in the city so maybe that’s what I was thinking.

October 18, 2021 2:58 pm  #12

I can help with some of this. When CBLT first debuted on Sept. 8, 1952, it was on Channel 9. 

When the market was opened up for more stations, CBLT agreed to move to Channel 6, with a power boost. The date of the ad below is August 28, 1956, although it could have happened on Sept. 1st. CFTO would eventually get the licence and came on the air in 1961.

As for Channel 5, that was an attempt to make room for Global in Paris and Desoronto on Channel 6.

I've told this story before, but I was up early that morning to watch the official sign on over the new frequency. It was Sept. 11, 1972. I wish there had been VCRs at the time, because something happened that I'm positive was a deliberate nod to the past. 

When Toronto's CBC TV affiliate first signed on in 1952, there was a massive screw-up that saw the I.D. slide inserted upside down and backwards.

It was corrected and the broadcast went on, but it was something of a cause celebre in the rest of the media and the newspapers had a field day. The morning of the Channel 5 switch, they did the same thing, showing the I.D. slide backwards and upside down for about 2 secs., only to completely reverse it the proper way on air. 

I always felt it was a deliberate nod to the original mistake, and that they did it on purpose. It was 6 o'clock in the morning and they probably felt no one was watching. But I was and I've never forgotten it. 

October 18, 2021 3:48 pm  #13

HR Pufnstuf was the trippiest kids show ever. 

Last edited by Hansa (October 18, 2021 3:49 pm)

October 19, 2021 1:23 am  #14

Hansa wrote:

HR Pufnstuf was the trippiest kids show ever. 

Another trippy creation from Sid and Marty Krofft (although they were working under the Hanna-Barbera umbrella at the time), was The Banana Splits.

A couple of interesting lawsuits around H.R. Pufnstuf: 

Paul Simon successfully sued the Kroffts for copyright infringement, claiming that the theme song for H.R. Pufnstuf closely resembled his "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)".

And in 1977, Sid and Marty Krofft successfully sued McDonald's, claiming that a number of the fast food chain's "McDonaldland" characters (particularly Mayor McCheese) closely resembled the characters in the Pufnstuf universe. The Kroffts were previously approached by McDonald's to work on an advertising campaign, but then the company decided not to move forward with the association, although former employees of Sid and Mary Krofft worked on the sets and costumes for the fast food chain's commercials, as well as supplying voices for the ads.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (October 19, 2021 1:24 am)

October 19, 2021 10:40 am  #15

djwildbill wrote:

I was always a fan of channels as a kid (and still today) so I remember waking up early one day and watching when CBLT changed over from channel 6 to the current channel 5. I see in ‘69 it was still on 6 and by ‘73 it had changed to channel 5. Does anyone here recall the date of the change in channels. If I recall, CBLT first signed on with channel 13. I know when it was on channel 6 it was on cable 13 in the city so maybe that’s what I was thinking.

The CBLT assignment move occurred in early September 1972.  see below from History of Canadian Broadcasting.

CBLT Toronto moved from channel 6 to channel 5 – so on September 13, CJOH-TV was licensed to operate a transmitter at Deseronto on channel 6. CJOH-TV-3 began providing CTV service to the Belleville-Kingston area on September 27, from a transmitter on Mount Carmel in Prince Edward County. Power was 55,000 watts video, 9,670 watts audio, with antenna height of 671 feet.

It should be noted that the changes to channels 5 and 6 in Southern Ontario were organized in 1968. CBLT Toronto would move from channel 6 to 5 with new channel 6 assignments going to the London-Kitchener and Belleville-Kingston areas. 

Global's main CKGN transmitter at Paris, Ontario (Ayr) would begin testing in the fall of 1973, and Global would begin service on January 6th, 1974.

Bell Media officially shutdown the CJOH Desronto rebroad on October 9th, 2020.

Last edited by Glen Warren (October 19, 2021 10:45 am)