sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2021 4:39 pm  #1

To Boldly Go Where No 90 Year Old Has Been

Confirmed today that actor William Shatner, Star Trek's original Captain Kirk will travel into space next week.
More from BBC World..https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58792761

October 4, 2021 7:51 pm  #2

Re: To Boldly Go Where No 90 Year Old Has Been

You failed to prominently note that he is Canadian. This is a requirement.

October 4, 2021 7:54 pm  #3

Cover your ears.

October 4, 2021 8:22 pm  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

BBC did that.

October 4, 2021 8:27 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

BBC did that.

So noted. And as for RadioActive's Rocket Man link... I counter with Proud Mary.

October 4, 2021 9:03 pm  #6

I notice the visual says "The Best Of Leonard Nimoy." If there was ever an oxymoron, that has to be it. 

October 4, 2021 9:17 pm  #7

I thought this thread was going to be about a SOWNY regular trying FM radio for the first time!

October 5, 2021 8:55 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Cover your ears.

If you "enjoyed" this, you will love the Golden Throats series that Rhino Records released in the early to mid 1990's. How could anyone possibly forget Phyllis Diller's version of Satisfaction or Mae West's rendition of Light My Fire.

October 5, 2021 11:39 am  #9

I miss the days when TV/movie stars were obligated to put out records. It's a rarity now...

October 5, 2021 12:04 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

I miss the days when TV/movie stars were obligated to put out records. It's a rarity now...

Have shared this before. I like the song and Scarlett Johansson is a star:

The official video for the song can be found here but I was not able to link properly for some reason:
https://youtu.be/vEMPbsqqdOA

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 5, 2021 2:19 pm  #11

Fitz wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Have shared this before. I like the song and Scarlett Johansson is a star:

Yeah she's one exception. Her album of Tom Waits covers is actually quite good.

October 10, 2021 7:57 pm  #12

Shatner's bold journey now delayed until the 13th.

William Shatner Is Still Klingon To Earth, As Blue Origin Space Flight Delayed

October 12, 2021 4:02 pm  #13

Can't resist adding this warning, as Capt. Kirk is out to launch. (I still love The Twilight Zone.)

October 12, 2021 4:42 pm  #14

Looking at some of the footage of getting into the space capsule, he sure as hell doesn't move like you would expect from a 90 year old. 

What pact did he make with the devil and where can I get in on it?

October 12, 2021 7:12 pm  #15

I got a kick out of seeing the photo op with Bill Shatner in his captains colours and his colleagues wearing the infamous red uniforms.

Playing word association with Shatner/ Star Trek / Enterprise etc. reminded me of FM's "Phasors On Stun", an absolute beauty of a song I never got tired of playing on-air during my radio days. Always fun to nail the mix.

https://youtu.be/6SO8x_j-4Iw

October 12, 2021 7:20 pm  #16

Peter the K wrote:

Looking at some of the footage of getting into the space capsule, he sure as hell doesn't move like you would expect from a 90 year old. 

What pact did he make with the devil and where can I get in on it?

He's quite the horseman, and still rides around his ranch, western tho, much easier and safer than English, sort of like sitting in a rocking chair.

Like a lot of us who grew up watching the show, I can define my Star Trek viewing years into two parts. The first part, as a kid who didn't get what it meant when Jim Kirk was sitting on the bed and pulling his boots on. And the second part, when I knew what that action symbolized.

October 12, 2021 7:28 pm  #17

Shatner's interview with Anderson Cooper last week was very funny.  This story is what many people and the media need right now.  A pleasant diversion from COVID, politics and everything else that is wrong in the world.   Let's hope he gets back from his 12 minute flight safe and sound.  Bill Shatner will talk about this short space flight, and milk this adventure forever, and good for him! 

I always remember David Letterman talking about him with a long and flowery introduction and comments after the applause stopped and guest had sat down.   Being Letterman it was a mixture of compliments and making fun of Shatner, his career and his new album.   When David was finally finished talking, Shatner stared at him for a few seconds, and then simply said quite calmly...".Oh fuck off"....(beeped on air of course)..The studio audience lost it and it seemed like they never really stopped laughing during the next 10 minutes of the real interview.  All Shatner had to do was stare at Letterman every time the host asked a question or made a comment, and the audience would start laughing again.   A classic great moment in late night TV.  

October 12, 2021 8:01 pm  #18

Well played betaylored!  FM's Phasors on Stun, a classic from 1977, that should have had a lot more airplay at the time.  Unfortunately, CHUM, CFTR and many others never gave the song any play at all.  CFNY, CKOC and Q did back in the day.  Does BOOM play this classic song?  They should!  A real piece of Toronto progressive rock history.  Nash the Slash at his best.  Piece of trivia, did you know the whole White Noise album was recorded at CBC studios?

October 12, 2021 9:17 pm  #19

Meh, Scotty's ashes beat him to it. 

October 13, 2021 1:10 pm  #20

My old ex-disc jockey friend, The Real Bob James, had the headline of the day with this story about Shatner becoming the first nonagenarian in space. 

"To Oldly Go." 

I wish I'd written that...

October 13, 2021 8:22 pm  #21

Read a tweet today about how Shatner had a special headset made for him to wear for his trip into space, with three parts to it, one for his left ear, one for his right ear, and one for his final front ear.

(If the Bulwer-Lytton folks had a contest for bad puns instead of really dreadful opening sentences, this one would qualify.)

Here's how the trip felt to Mr. Shatner.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6208925#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16341673671151&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Last edited by betaylored (October 13, 2021 8:28 pm)

October 14, 2021 1:58 pm  #22

October 14, 2021 4:55 pm  #23