sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2021 11:52 am  #1

Rick Moranis Recalls His Early Days In Toronto Radio

He initially seems to be referring to the days when CHUM-FM was all classical, before moving on to his time at CHFI. He was also Rick Allen on CFTR for a while. 

September 27, 2021 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Rick Moranis Recalls His Early Days In Toronto Radio

Rick Moranis (a.k.a. Rick Alan) on CFTR from June 1973:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cftr-alan-jun73.mp3

Moranis on CHUM-AM from September 2, 1978:

[url]http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/chum-moranis-sep2-78.mp3​[/url]

He was also on CKFH, but I have nothing on him from that station.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 27, 2021 6:54 pm  #3

He's actually referring to CFTR and not CHUM FM. My first gig was as his first op in '73. Great guy, very funny and very smart. The only thing I knew about radio before working with Rick was how to spell it. I learned a lot from him. 

September 27, 2021 8:37 pm  #4

Rick is talking about CFTR PD George Johns, who left CFTR to be National Program Director for Fairbanks Broadcasting based in Indianapolis.

September 28, 2021 8:50 am  #5

A bit confusing regarding what station he is talking about with the classical. He first says MOR and then classical. CHFI was not really classical but Wiki mentions that they had a light classical program overnight and maybe that's what he worked.

The other confusing part is that he says he went to public radio after his initial foray on commercial radio. Not sure what years he is referring to. I do remember him on CHUM FM in 1976 and may have spoken on the phone to him but I don't remember. Wish I had some recordings of him on CHUM FM.

I think he would have been about 15 when CHUM FM flipped from classical to progressive and so not very likely that he worked there

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 28, 2021 12:34 pm  #6

Didn't Zappa walk out of an interview with him when he found out the station had scratched out some tracks on his records to prevent them from being played? I recall someone on this board mentioning it was Moranis.

September 28, 2021 8:15 pm  #7

Actually Frank Zappa loved CHUM FM. He would come in after a Toronto concert and sit in with David Pritchard.  The incident you mentioned was then CHUM-FM announcer Chuck Azzarello who brought in CHUM-FM Music Director Benjy Karch and the three (including Zappa) discussed the white stickers over some of his songs and they had a lively discussion about censorship, something Zappa felt very strongly about.  He never walked out though. 

September 28, 2021 8:18 pm  #8

Doug Thompson wrote:

Actually Frank Zappa loved CHUM FM. He would come in after a Toronto concert and sit in with David Pritchard.  The incident you mentioned was then CHUM-FM announcer Chuck Azzarello who brought in CHUM-FM Music Director Benjy Karch and the three (including Zappa) discussed the white stickers over some of his songs and they had a lively discussion about censorship, something Zappa felt very strongly about.  He never walked out though. 

That would make for an interesting aircheck. If it was recorded.

September 28, 2021 9:42 pm  #9

Chuck Azzarello reminds me about a sheet I created in my chicken scrawl of the various line up's of the progressive rock stations I listened to at the time. I made the list in 1975/76 and it went back to lineups maybe five or six years back. I have shared this on the board before.

CHUM FM is the last station listed . My memory of  the line-ups from the time Walter Michaels was at the station to the time Chuck A. was there. ( actually a bit further, up to Steve Herringer). A little before Rick Moranis. I  have some air checks on my site  that encompass the 1971-75 era for CHUM FM.

Stations listed are WYSL FM/WPHD, WCMF, WBUF and CHUM FM.

Last edited by Fitz (September 28, 2021 9:48 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 29, 2021 12:54 am  #10

Zappa came onto my show at CHUM-FM for a 20 minute interview.

About 2 and a half hours later Frank said something like - this has been fun but I should probably get going.

We had a great time in the 2 and a half hours. dm :-) 

BTW - Doug Thompson is correct.

September 29, 2021 12:48 pm  #11

Fitz wrote:

The other confusing part is that he says he went to public radio after his initial foray on commercial radio. Not sure what years he is referring to. 

He wrote (and performed in?) a comedic play for CBC Radio about lab mice - it may have been a musical, but I don't recall. (I actually heard it at the time - didn't know it was by Rick Moranis until years later and I wouldn't have known who he was in the 70s, anyway). Shame CBC Radio doesn't do drama anymore. 

September 29, 2021 7:25 pm  #12

Chrisphen wrote:  "That would make for an interesting aircheck. If it was recorded."

It was.