sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2021 4:35 pm  #1

Poll: Will you/did you vote?

yes for me 

Last edited by cash (September 19, 2021 4:37 pm)

Will you/did you vote?

September 19, 2021 4:49 pm  #2

Re: Poll: Will you/did you vote?

I voted early. I'm a member and activist in my Party. I'll bee working for the campaign all day Monday.

Last edited by turkeytop (September 19, 2021 4:50 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 19, 2021 4:54 pm  #3

I voted in the advance poll last Monday morning, the first day they opened. I was lucky. My place was open and ready for me, without any wait. A neighbour who went that same day to the same place in the afternoon had to wait more than 90 minutes to get in.

Given that there are far fewer polling places than usual, I can only wonder if there will be chaos and impatience on the actual day. Look for this to be one of the stories of voting day. 

September 19, 2021 5:24 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I voted in the advance poll last Monday morning, the first day they opened. I was lucky. My place was open and ready for me, without any wait. A neighbour who went that same day to the same place in the afternoon had to wait more than 90 minutes to get in.

Given that there are far fewer polling places than usual, I can only wonder if there will be chaos and impatience on the actual day. Look for this to be one of the stories of voting day. 

Voted on the 10th and it took over 35 minutes.   Given the lower number of polling stations and restrictions on the number of people allowed in at any one time, I'm betting that many locations across the country will have to stay open past their scheduled closing times; to accommodate those still waiting in line.

Last edited by Media Observer (September 19, 2021 5:27 pm)

September 19, 2021 5:27 pm  #5

I voted last weekend and only had a 30 minute wait.  I usually like to be part of the whole thing on election day but this year I have a feeling it's going to be a zoo so I voted early.

Last edited by Peter the K (September 19, 2021 5:27 pm)

September 19, 2021 5:39 pm  #6

I read last night that 5.8 million people voted in the advance polls, which is 1 million more than last election.  I voted on Monday, about a 25 minute wait.  

The mail in ballots are way up but maybe not as much as what was expected.  Wonder if people will stick with the long line ups tomorrow or not bother.  A friend of mine who is very plugged in politically and a Liberal this afternoon predicted a Conservative minority. He said the tories will pick up seats in Ontario and possibly the Maritimes.  Liberals may win two seats in Alberta.  Piece of trivia, did you know there has never been a Prime Minister elected from the GTA, so Erin O'Toole if he wins will be the first. 

September 19, 2021 5:47 pm  #7

I voted on Sunday in the Advance polls. The guy across the street has a PPC sign and a huge F*** Trudeau flag on his pickup truck. That motivated me to get to the polls. I maybe waited 1 minute. Quick and efficient.

September 19, 2021 7:02 pm  #8

"Which side are you on, boy? Which side are you on?"

September 19, 2021 8:06 pm  #9

The Mrs. and myself voted at an advance poll on Friday the 10th, in / out in about 5 minutes... very smooth.

Our riding has a candidate running for the Rhino Party...  I was tempted....  

September 20, 2021 1:06 am  #10

September 20, 2021 7:57 am  #11

https://twitter.com/brittlestar/status/1439282792341327877?s=19

He is spot on with this.

Last edited by betaylored (September 20, 2021 7:58 am)

September 20, 2021 8:37 am  #12

I voted by mail. It was very simple. I applied online for the mail in ballot the day after the election was called. It arrived in my mailbox about a week later. Filling in the ballot was straightforward and the system of putting my vote inside an envelope and putting that in another envelope and putting that in a third envelope which was dropped in the mail seemed quite secure and private. One thing that did strike me as odd was that the ballot was write in only. Unlike a polling place ballot, there was no list of candidates and corresponding parties. For a moment I considered writing in Dudley Do-Right or Bugs Bunny, but thought better of it.

September 20, 2021 9:06 am  #13

Tq345 wrote:

For a moment I considered writing in Dudley Do-Right or Bugs Bunny, but thought better of it.

I suspect they might be better than the motley crew on the real ballot!

Bugs Bunny for P.M.!

September 20, 2021 9:23 am  #14

grilled.cheese wrote:

My riding has been blue since confederation.  I didn't vote.

As long as people like yourself don't vote at all, they will keep winning and zero will change.   Sadly that "blue" party has voters who will vote blue if a monkey ran.   Not voting sends no message at all.    Even if you went in an spoiled your ballot or refused your ballot, then you are counted and a message is sent.     It would be better to be counted than not doing anything and expect any kind of change.   Just my 2 cents.  

September 20, 2021 10:17 am  #15

radiokid wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

My riding has been blue since confederation.  I didn't vote.

As long as people like yourself don't vote at all, they will keep winning and zero will change.   Sadly that "blue" party has voters who will vote blue if a monkey ran.   Not voting sends no message at all.    Even if you went in an spoiled your ballot or refused your ballot, then you are counted and a message is sent.     It would be better to be counted than not doing anything and expect any kind of change.   Just my 2 cents.  

Have to agree with you Radiokid.  Regardless of your political stripe, how many times have we seen a riding that was won by just a handful of votes.  You can't tell me that there weren't at least that many people who could have swung it in the other direction.  They just couldn't be bothered.  

Oh well.

I've always been a believer in the adage that if you didn't vote, you have no right to complain about the outcome.

September 20, 2021 11:38 am  #16

I voted about 45 minutes after the polls opened. Took about five minutes to go through the various safety protocols. When I was finished, one of the election employees thanked me for voting.

September 20, 2021 11:54 am  #17

I recall a few political journalists over the years who've said they do not vote so that they can remain objective in their coverage - though I think that attitude is less frequent now. (I think I may have seen Kady O'Malley comment a few years ago that she didn't vote for this reason - but I'm not sure now if that was her or someone else). 

How common is this attitude and is it valid or is it just posturing? Conversely, can you be truly objective as a political reporter if you vote and therefore have a horse in the race?  

Last edited by Hansa (September 20, 2021 12:06 pm)

September 21, 2021 11:38 am  #18

We have a politically engaged community here. Actual voter turnout was only 59%

https://www.ckdr.net/2021/09/21/239335/

September 21, 2021 11:54 am  #19

cash wrote:

Considering how the election really didn't change anything, I'm not surprised.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

September 21, 2021 5:10 pm  #20

Peter the K wrote:

Some are quite happy. O'Toole's attempt to present the CPC as responsible moderates was rebuffed, which makes him a dead man walking as leader.

Expect former CFRB asset Doug Ford (and his courtiers) to aggressively pursue the federal party leadership.

September 21, 2021 7:20 pm  #21

Chrisphen wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Some are quite happy. O'Toole's attempt to present the CPC as responsible moderates was rebuffed, which makes him a dead man walking as leader.

Expect former CFRB asset Doug Ford (and his courtiers) to aggressively pursue the federal party leadership.

oof, out of the frying pan into the ... fryer? erm what rhymes with... liar? see also snowballs chance etc.

they do say bad things come in three's 😏

September 22, 2021 7:50 am  #22

cash wrote:

3rd worst turnout ever for a Canadian Federal Election. #2 10/14/08 58.8%. #1 9/29/1898 44.6%.   The three highest turnouts. #1. 3/31/58 79.4%. #2. 6/18/62 79.2%. #3 04/06/63 79.0%.

September 22, 2021 12:37 pm  #23

cash wrote:

Does that include those who showed up but gave up when the line was too long? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 22, 2021 12:42 pm  #24

mace wrote:

3rd worst turnout ever for a Canadian Federal Election

From the above link:  "The numbers DO NOT include mail-in ballots which are being counted Tuesday."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.