sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2021 7:23 am  #1

3 Local MyFM Stations Changing Ownership On Sept. 1st

The stations, in Milton, Orangeville and Alliston, will all officially be owned by an entity known as Local Radio Lab, beginning Wednesday. The GM of the Milton outlet insists listeners will notice the difference. 

"We’ll be moving away from our simulcasted on-air announcers in favour of unique in-person morning shows in all three of the markets. Instead of hearing the voice of someone from across Ontario, you’ll be hearing someone broadcasting directly out of our Milton studio."

The sale went through a few months ago, and they were already seeking new morning hosts on Milkman in July. 

Milton’s only radio station sold to new company

August 31, 2021 9:10 am  #2

Re: 3 Local MyFM Stations Changing Ownership On Sept. 1st

RadioActive wrote:

The stations, in Milton, Orangeville and Alliston, will all officially be owned by an entity known as Local Radio Lab, beginning Wednesday.

Chris Grossman, a principal there, is former owner of Haliburton Broadcasting Group.

August 31, 2021 12:03 pm  #3

It's funny how the small broadcast groups and community radio stations seem to know why being local with live announcers is important. This is how you build a bond and loyalty between the audience and your station.   Too bad this seems to be mostly lost on the larger conglomerates.

Some of the most interesting programming in radio is in smaller/medium markets that still have local/regional ownership.  Musically many are much more daring and have more variety than the major market stations particularly in Toronto. These smaller outlets still take the time to cover local news, community events and sports.  I bet most are also doing alright financially.  I am surprised to hear national ads on some of the community stations that I tune in from time to time.  

The smaller chains and local stations have come through the last 18 months mostly intact, and it is great to see them in a growth mode again. Even better to see the formation of some new broadcast companies and the fact that the CRTC is licensing new commercial and community stations in smaller markets. 

August 31, 2021 12:40 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

It's funny how the small broadcast groups and community radio stations seem to know why being local with live announcers is important. This is how you build a bond and loyalty between the audience and your station.   Too bad this seems to be mostly lost on the larger conglomerates.

The larger conglomerates operate in a completely different environment -- they have shareholders. Profit must absolutely increase every quarter, no exceptions. Now, radio is still fairly healthy, but it is obviously not growing, so the only way to get there is to cut costs. There are many very smart radio people in positions of power in the big companies, but they simply have no choice. Either you network middays or the person who replaces you does it.

Obviously, the cut-your-way-to-profitability model eventually burns itself out.

September 1, 2021 11:42 am  #5

The station in Milton is still using some of the myfm ID'S and the voice that all the other myfm stations use

September 1, 2021 12:15 pm  #6

Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:

The station in Milton is still using some of the myfm ID'S and the voice that all the other myfm stations use

Sometimes they keep things as is, until they figure out the day to day requirements..   The listeners don't care who owns it, so coming in and shaking the place up and have it in a state of mess, doesn't do them any good.   A month to transition is not unheard of.    Milton's issues are more signal related vs the product. 

September 1, 2021 12:22 pm  #7

Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:

Canada's own Matt Fogarty, who has also previously voiced some Subway ads. MyFM's past voices included Americans Damon Oaks and Chad Erickson (does/did some VO's on CBS), and Barrie's Bill Cosworth, ex of CHAY and Rock 95.

September 5, 2021 12:10 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

The larger conglomerates operate in a completely different environment -- they have shareholders. Profit must absolutely increase every quarter, no exceptions. Now, radio is still fairly healthy, but it is obviously not growing, so the only way to get there is to cut costs. There are many very smart radio people in positions of power in the big companies, but they simply have no choice. Either you network middays or the person who replaces you does it.

Obviously, the cut-your-way-to-profitability model eventually burns itself out.

Yes it is a different world when a company needs to perform for shareholders.  If investors aren't making at least some money, then why invest in your company?.  But investors usually look at the long term and don't live quarter by quarter.   It is up to the "very smart people in positions of power" to figure out long term growth. 

Cutbacks and streamlining, while initially justified in the current pandemic does not encourage long term growth.  Network programming and hosts for stations of similar format is fine to a point.  But when it becomes all day other than mornings, and all weekend, it is a problem.

My fear is that this is what the conglomerates are moving to and some already have.  This will be a dead end for growth, and ultimately bad for radio.  No news, no local content, other than weather and commercials and long stretches of network programming is not a growth plan.  At the very least, the network programming should be entertaining and exceptional, not just the mid day host from Calgary doing what they have always done but now on ten stations.  I am hoping that the cutback have included the smart minds in management that came up with this plan. 

As you mentioned, this cutting to profitability will burn out, so what would be next?  Selling stations and  properties? Importing programming from the US or UK?   

September 5, 2021 12:25 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

As you mentioned, this cutting to profitability will burn out, so what would be next?  Selling stations and  properties? Importing programming from the US or UK?   

CRTC regulation. Promise of performance. etc. might contribute to possible station sales to smaller companies, yes.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 5, 2021 12:30 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

This will be a dead end for growth, and ultimately bad for radio.

Sadly, there is no growth in radio.

The big conglomerates are looking beyond "radio" and into other programming and delivery methods.

"Radio" is a medium for delivering content.  The Millennials have moved on.  So too must business.

September 5, 2021 1:02 pm  #11

In Phase wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

This will be a dead end for growth, and ultimately bad for radio.

Sadly, there is no growth in radio.

The big conglomerates are looking beyond "radio" and into other programming and delivery methods.

"Radio" is a medium for delivering content.  The Millennials have moved on.  So too must business.

Interesting, so will Bell, Rogers, Stingray etc. start to sell less profitable or money losing stations and  properties in the near future?  Radio revenues have bounced back, but for how long?  I would think these companies would want to sell some of their stations while the market is still there.  Smaller broadcast companies would likely be interested in some operations. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 5, 2021 1:03 pm)

September 5, 2021 1:29 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Radio revenues have bounced back, but for how long?  I would think these companies would want to sell some of their stations while the market is still there.  Smaller broadcast companies would likely be interested in some operations. 

I agree that radio revenues have come back, but to what level, and where is the growth?

I also agree that the larger guys will at some point, start to unload less profitable operations.  This might be an opportunity for smaller companies.

The challenge is that shareholders demand growth year over year.  It really doesn't matter to a shareholder if Bell or Rogers, for example, generate growth from "radio" or through expanding internet service to rural Canada.  If there is no return on investment, the shareholders will move on.

Would any of us invest in a local newspaper today?

It's a tough thing to watch something that is so loved and respected, to be slowly diminished by a thousand cuts (whether by management or listeners leaving).

September 5, 2021 1:43 pm  #13

In Phase wrote:

It's a tough thing to watch something that is so loved and respected, to be slowly diminished by a thousand cuts (whether by management or listeners leaving).

The later (listeners leaving) is a direct result of the former (mis management... or Senior/Exec. Manglement)

applicable to the TV side of things as well...  my 0.02 cents...

September 5, 2021 3:30 pm  #14

Glen Warren wrote:

In Phase wrote:

The later (listeners leaving) is a direct result of the former (mis management... or Senior/Exec. Manglement)

Television will always have the advantage of product placement as long as the viewers are there.
Big Brother Canada is a great example. Furniture from Leon's/Brick, some food from Wendy's, and so on...all in the show. You can't fast forward either cuz' you'll miss too much of the program. 

September 5, 2021 3:31 pm  #15

It's good to see independent radio stations popping up once again. 

September 5, 2021 6:43 pm  #16

Glen Warren wrote:

In Phase wrote:

Yes, I agree Glen Warren, and to what extent is the pandemic being used as an excuse to downsize?  I get it that the conglomerates need to show some growth for shareholders, but surely growth can still come from other areas and not just downsizing.

Programming wise, have the chains actually tried to retain audience? Beyond cutbacks and networking, I am not really sure what they are doing at all.  Are they now just writing off radio saying that there is no growth, and  basically giving up?  Pretty sad if that is the case, but sadly somewhat Canadian.  Also it confirms that the consultants and accountants are running the show and we know what that will lead to. 

Should they look to radio in some European countries where the medium is still strong and take anything from this that could work here.   BBC 1 and 2 are still huge, and I find it hard to believe their popularity is only because they don't play any commercials.  And please, let's not blame the CRTC and cancon yet again.  Those arguments are so ancient, really don't hold up, and are just another lazy excuse to protect incompetence and to do nothing.   Sort of like, "our hands are tied, until the CRTC".......(fill in the blanks).  No your hands are not tied. 

Finally, and most important, what are the numbers?  As compared to 10,15,30 years ago, how much has radio actually lost in listenership?  We have bigger populations now and many more stations, and listeners have more options with streaming, satellite, etc.  So how do we calculate the drift away from radio?  Is it really that dramatic or slow?

CHFI today vs 25 years ago, how do the numbers compare?  And what about the number of stations today that don't take part in Numeris ratings?  How are they accounted for with overall radio listenership?   It behooves radio stations and companies to protect and try to grow and maintain the audience.

Will there be a day that large stations will be less concerned about the ratings that are conducted mostly for national sales?   National advertising that is possibly leaving already and may regardless.  Should these larger stations get ready to focus more on large local and regional advertising and less concerned with national?  Or is the ultimate plan to have large radio networks that will focus mostly on national advertising, similar to the US?

Points to ponder on a long weekend...

September 5, 2021 8:44 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

[
CHFI today vs 25 years ago, how do the numbers compare?  And what about the number of stations today that don't take part in Numeris ratings?  How are they accounted for with overall radio listenership?   It behooves radio stations and companies to protect and try to grow and maintain the audience.

CHFI in 1996? What age group was listening?  
Julie Adam went through all the trouble of flushing out the older audience in the 2000's.
CHFI today has to be maintaining a decent number of women 25-54, right? 
In 1996, who was really listening? 45-50something? 

Somewhere in that mess you also have the short lived EZ Rock...

September 6, 2021 4:22 pm  #18

=12pxProgramming wise, have the chains actually tried to retain audience? Beyond cutbacks and networking, I am not really sure what they are doing at all.  Are they now just writing off radio saying that there is no growth, and  basically giving up?  Pretty sad if that is the case, but sadly somewhat Canadian.  Also it confirms that the consultants and accountants are running the show and we know what that will lead to

That essentially sums it up. Subtle name changes to reflect the new focus have been slid in during the last few years ie. words like "radio" or "broadcasting" have been replaced with "media". The big companies see no growth in radio and therefore the only way to increase profit is to cut costs which  means more staff layoffs. 
Only non-publicly traded companies can still recognize employees as an asset rather than a liability and what it takes to make relevant radio. Glad to see a few are still thriving.

September 6, 2021 4:28 pm  #19

kevjo wrote:

Only non-publicly traded companies can still recognize employees as an asset rather than a liability and what it takes to make relevant radio. Glad to see a few are still thriving.

On the bright side, at least Rogers has learned their (Toronto) lesson that people don't want a "NO DJ'S ON JACK" station. They want personality. Boom gets that. That's why they're doing incredibly well where Jack failed.

September 6, 2021 5:36 pm  #20

Radiowiz wrote:

kevjo wrote:

On the bright side, at least Rogers has learned their (Toronto) lesson that people don't want a "NO DJ'S ON JACK" station. They want personality. Boom gets that. That's why they're doing incredibly well where Jack failed.

And as a Buffaloian who proudly has Boom as one of my car presets(and listens to the station when I can...its signal makes it to Buffalo fairly well), it's a damned sight better than what WHTT does when it comes to classic hits. Only 2 live & local personalities-Bill Lacy in AM drive & Joe Siragusa in PM drive, they get someone from out of town presumably on ISDN to do middays and they have John Tesh in evenings. Other examples in local radio: Kiss is live ONLY in AM drive.  Star 102.5 is only live in AM & PM drive.  

September 6, 2021 5:56 pm  #21

ckg927 wrote:

Kiss is live ONLY in AM drive.  Star 102.5 is only live in AM & PM drive.  

That's really bad. When I was a kid if WKSE had no live evening announcer I'd have no reason to tune in because I really enjoyed listening to the radio announcer communicating with callers.
Take that out and I may as well just keep listening to my cassette tapes. (I had plenty)

Today there's just too much technology & alternative options to simply leave music running with no local radio talent, especially on the evening shift. 
Maybe they'll change that so one announcer is live on several stations. For that, I doubt today's kids care.

September 6, 2021 6:21 pm  #22

ckg927 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

kevjo wrote:

And as a Buffaloian who proudly has Boom as one of my car presets(and listens to the station when I can...its signal makes it to Buffalo fairly well), it's a damned sight better than what WHTT does when it comes to classic hits. Only 2 live & local personalities-Bill Lacy in AM drive & Joe Siragusa in PM drive, they get someone from out of town presumably on ISDN to do middays and they have John Tesh in evenings. Other examples in local radio: Kiss is live ONLY in AM drive.  Star 102.5 is only live in AM & PM drive.  

I am curious how well some of the other major Toronto FM's are received in Buffalo. 92.5, 94.1, 96.3, 98.1, 99.1, 99.9, 102.1, 104.5, 107.1.

September 6, 2021 6:32 pm  #23

mace wrote:

I am curious how well some of the other major Toronto FM's are received in Buffalo. 92.5, 94.1, 96.3, 98.1, 99.1, 99.9, 102.1, 104.5, 107.1.

The only FM's I'm able to get reliably down there are the Class C1's, excluding 99.9 since their HD feeds have really compromised their analogue footprint. You shouldn't have a problem with 94.1, 97.3, 98.1, 91.1, 99.1, 102.1, 104.5, 107.1. I'd be interested to know if 89.5 or 96.3 make it into Buffalo with any reliability - especially 96.3 HD-2. 

September 8, 2021 9:21 pm  #24

Wow, the Toronto Star actually did a story on local radio - in this case, involving the sale of the myFM Kincardine property and its new format.

"Nick Cadotte says [it] will focus on classic rock that “is a little more depth, a little more B side” than it was known for in the past. "

myFM radio has new owners, new brand

September 9, 2021 10:35 am  #25

what's taking local radio lab to change there branding on there stations?
I'am hearing some liners with a new brand and some with my fm
There still using the my fm hoasts on there stations