sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2021 7:38 am  #1

A little tropo

Weak signals but in north Kawartha I have managed to get WAXX Eau Claire into the mix with CHUM on 104.5. That's just north of 600 miles. Previously heard so not new for the log. A handful of other weak signals from WI and MI. This is with a decent antenna, mostly, though Eau Claire came in on the Sangean ATS 909 portable from a deck with the radio's antenna held just so (to carefully null CHUM, and the window for that was narrow).

August 26, 2021 11:57 pm  #2

Re: A little tropo

Killer FM signals to central Michigan... not too far in, but signals are strong. Alpena, Tawas City, Midland, Mount Pleasant, up a bit to Sault Ste Marie, a bit down to Detroit. I'm in Kawarthas north...

August 27, 2021 11:05 am  #3

I was driving home from Buffalo to Rochester last night after 11 and the pipeline across the lake was intense. A lot of smaller TO signals that usually don't get over our way were in quite well - Indie 88, CIRV, CHIN-1 on 91.9, etc. Flow on 93.5 held in most of the way to downtown Rochester, which is very unusual. (It helped that our local WFKL 93.3 was off the air because of a power outage.)

August 27, 2021 12:19 pm  #4

It is gone now but when I woke this am I found a 250-watt translator from Sandusky MI which relays WMIC 660 on 95.3. Hamilton was nowhere to be found for a half hour. Antenna was aimed west... The dial was loaded with Michigan from Alpena down to Detroit. Nothing too far inland but great signals.

August 27, 2021 1:10 pm  #5

Well, not quite over. Aimed west, CHUM is buried, so is Q-107. Bad Axe owns CFNY... This is what a stalled front can do...

September 12, 2021 2:04 pm  #6

Not sure if this would be considered tropo. This morning, I was driving to work around 7:20 [Avenue Rd. Wilson area]  WHTT had severe interference and was occasionally overpowered by a French language station. I heard Quebec mentioned several times. When I got to work, I did some research. The only Quebec station I could find on 104.1 was CFOI in Quebec City which operates at 26 watts!

September 12, 2021 7:58 pm  #7

This morning I got an unusual tropo in North York on my Sangean PR-D19. St. Catharines Move 105.7 (usually clear) was exceptionally weak, buried at times by 105.7 K Rock in Kingston. Further curiosity had me check in on Move's sister station: 97.7 HTZ-FM and it too was weak, sometimes buried by another 97.7 I couldn't quite make out before it faded. I suspect Move and HTZ may have been operating on low power this morning, as both have returned to normal pickup this evening.

September 13, 2021 5:53 am  #8

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

mace wrote:

Not sure if this would be considered tropo. This morning, I was driving to work around 7:20 [Avenue Rd. Wilson area]  WHTT had severe interference and was occasionally overpowered by a French language station. I heard Quebec mentioned several times. When I got to work, I did some research. The only Quebec station I could find on 104.1 was CFOI in Quebec City which operates at 26 watts!

Or was it Energie from Gatineau/Ottawa?

That seems to be the more logical choice at 19,000 watts. I was only in my car 5-10 minutes, so I didn't get to listen much.