sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2021 3:43 pm  #1

Hamilton Ti-Cats Find New (Old) Home On CHML

Now that TSN1150 is no more, they had to go somewhere. They ended up in a place where they were for many years. 

2021 Ti-Cats games to be broadcast on 900 CHML 

August 3, 2021 6:14 pm  #2

Re: Hamilton Ti-Cats Find New (Old) Home On CHML

torontostan wrote:

Anyone know the ratings for these broadcasts? I know when it comes to producing these it's as cheap as it gets.. but I'd be surprised if there were more than 10,000 listening. 

Ti Cats were intended to be the bread and butter for CKOC when it went all sports. 

Surely CHML sees good (enough) ratings, otherwise, why bother? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 4, 2021 1:54 am  #3

Corus seems to have scooped up rights for multiple CFL teams. The BC Lions are going to be on Vancouver’s AM 730, which has been morphing from all traffic to a traffic/sports format this year.

August 4, 2021 6:44 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

torontostan wrote:

Anyone know the ratings for these broadcasts? I know when it comes to producing these it's as cheap as it gets.. but I'd be surprised if there were more than 10,000 listening. 

Ti Cats were intended to be the bread and butter for CKOC when it went all sports. 

Surely CHML sees good (enough) ratings, otherwise, why bother? 
The ratings for Ti Cat games must have been "good enough" for CHML because they held the radio broadcast rights from 1950-2014, and now they have them again.

August 4, 2021 9:48 am  #5

It turns out there's a lot more to this than the puff piece put out by Global about the games returning to CHML. They're just carrying the actual matches. 

The Ti-Cats themselves are producing the broadcasts, choosing the crew, and doing five hours of online shows both before and after the games, hoping to attract a younger crowd. 

"Live game broadcasts, featuring five hours of exclusive gameday programming, will be available at listen.ticats.ca and the Ticats All Access app, with additional on-demand audio content available daily on all podcast and social media platforms. The Ticats Audio Network stream for every game will also be available on terrestrial radio, via the network’s radio partner AM 900 CHML."

The Ti-Cats Audio Network

August 4, 2021 11:08 am  #6

torontostan wrote:

The current ratings system isn't useful for this. They'd have to do some market research to come to an estimate.

August 7, 2021 12:08 pm  #7

At least on the CHML post game the had Rick Zamperin with The Original 5th Quarter call in show until 1:00am