sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2021 1:09 pm  #1

Is It Too Soon For This On Your Radio?

Wednesday afternoon, approx. 12:45 PM, CFRB: I heard my first back-to-school commercial.

Yes, on July 28th.

It was for Amazon.ca, of all places, and I had to look at the calendar to be sure we weren't a bit closer to September. 

I know August is the traditional b-t-s ad time, when the airwaves are filled with the Staples' stalwart "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" annoyance ad, pitches for supplies from Wal-Mart and the rest. But I can't recall hearing one quite this early. 

I'm long out of school and have no kids who attend. I also love summer, which lasts about the blink of an eye in Canada. And I despise winter, which ends for only a brief pause then returns to stay for what feels like an eternity every year.

This spot this early was simply depressing! [Sigh.]

July 28, 2021 4:39 pm  #2

Re: Is It Too Soon For This On Your Radio?

Target has been running Back To School ads in the U.S. for a week or so.

July 28, 2021 4:54 pm  #3

mace wrote:

Target has been running Back To School ads in the U.S. for a week or so.

In the US,  many School Boards start the academic year in August as opposed to the September model.  This has been mentioned more this year on American news re:  mask mandates.

Like RA,  I too have always found the early ads an unwanted rush to the end of the summer.   Although I haven't been to the Ex since the '90s,  the CNE spots also have the same effect on me;  (although given the reason why they haven't since 2019,  I would welcome them back).

Last edited by Media Observer (July 28, 2021 4:57 pm)

July 29, 2021 12:25 am  #4

When I was a kid I hated school and, of course, I hated back to school ads. Labour day weekend felt like death row..

Even now, all these years later, I still get a depressed feeling thinking about back to school.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 29, 2021 1:49 am  #5

Traditionally back-to-school advertising in Canada always began on August 1, even 20-25 years ago.

July 29, 2021 6:50 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

How long until we start hearing Christmas shopping commercials? 

And how long until people here start whining about hearing Christmas music?

July 29, 2021 9:50 am  #7

In a normal year, we go to Florida for a few weeks in the fall to get our place readied for the coming season.

Down there, Christmas starts , for retailers, right after Labour Day.

It's 90 deg outside, but in the stores, they're decorated for Christmas, the Christmas music is playing and all the Christmas merchandise is on display.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.