sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2021 10:35 am  #1

Corus Unveils Global's New Fall Line-up

It's got pretty much all the U.S. content you'd expect and one new Canadian drama, something called "Family Law." The best known name in the cast is likely Victor Garber. The 10-episode hour long program is being shot in Vancouver and is described this way:

"Family Law follows a dysfunctional family who reluctantly work together at their father’s law firm to help other equally dysfunctional families."

I noticed their other Canadian offering, Nurses, which ran on NBC last year, has its entire new season being burned off in the summer. It starts on Global on June 21st and does not appear to be anywhere in the fall line-up.

One other interesting anomaly. They've bought the latest "FBI" incarnation that's going to be CBS' entire Tuesday night. But they're running one show out of simulcast pattern. "FBI: Most Wanted" will air at 7 PM, so they can simulcast "New Amsterdam" with NBC, interrupting ET Canada for one night a week. Also worthy of note: Their fall TV grid does not even bother to list Saturday. 

New Global Fall Line-up

June 9, 2021 10:52 am  #2

Re: Corus Unveils Global's New Fall Line-up

I notice 3 changes; from what it is now.  NCIS and Blacklist move from 8pm to 9 pm and S.W.A.T. moves to 8 pm from 10 pm.

June 9, 2021 11:42 am  #3

I guess they left out Saturday since there is often not a regular schedule of shows.  Often tends to be repeats, TV movies and a dumping ground for cancon, to make up for a lack of it during the week in prime time.

Wouldn't be surprised if the second season of Nurses was repeated in Winter/Spring 2022.  I doubt if NBC will pick it up again since the ratings were low.  However Nurses was far from the lowest NBC prime time show back in the new year, and the network has neither cancelled or renewed for season 2.  Private Eyes was renewed for another season and will likely appear in 2022 Spring as well.  This show regularly is in the top 30.  No word on the other Global original drama Departure season two which was completed before the death of Christopher Plummer.

June 9, 2021 11:46 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

I guess they left out Saturday since there is often not a regular schedule of shows.  Often tends to be repeats, TV movies and a dumping ground for cancon, to make up for a lack of it during the week in prime time.

Saturdays also have SNL running at the same time across the country on Global when the show is new/live. SNL airs at 9:30 PM in Alberta, 8:30 PM in BC when it's live, 11:35 PM local when it's not. 

June 9, 2021 12:23 pm  #5

Bunch of boring crap.

June 9, 2021 12:24 pm  #6

John D wrote:

I notice 3 changes; from what it is now.  NCIS and Blacklist move from 8pm to 9 pm and S.W.A.T. moves to 8 pm from 10 pm.

Global always had Blacklist at 9pm. NBC will continue to air Blacklist @ 8pm. 
NCIS not only moved from 8pm to 9, it also moved from Tuesday over to Monday. 
Global had no choice (if they wish to stick with a sim sub) as CBS chose to go with an all FBI Tuesday night lineup.

Re: Friday night sim sub issues, Global felt it was more important to keep a SWAT Team sim sub than it is to try and get a Blacklist sim sub. 
Obtaining both is indeed impossible, (same air time) so they chose one over the other.

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 9, 2021 12:28 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 9, 2021 12:40 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

Bunch of boring crap.

I agree, and too many police procedurals.  Too much of anything is not good, and network TV is at the saturation point with cop shows in my opinion.  I guess like music on radio, procedurals must "score" well.  

CTV will have their upfronts tomorrow and I believe they are the last.  So far it doesn't sound like a very exciting fall line up for any of the broadcast networks.  The fall upfronts in May for the big 4 US OTA networks was a snore city- non event. The media coverage was way down from previous years.

June 9, 2021 3:54 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Bunch of boring crap.

I agree, and too many police procedurals.  Too much of anything is not good, and network TV is at the saturation point with cop shows in my opinion.  I guess like music on radio, procedurals must "score" well.  

CTV will have their upfronts tomorrow and I believe they are the last.  So far it doesn't sound like a very exciting fall line up for any of the broadcast networks.  The fall upfronts in May for the big 4 US OTA networks was a snore city- non event. The media coverage was way down from previous years.

I agree.   Too much of a "dark" lineup of shows.  Global was always kind of like that.  Back in the 90s I remember atleast they were good with the sitcoms and stuff for the younger, but then again all networks were.  Their news broadcast I watched the other night too and it wasnt good eitheir.  Something about it and the anchors I didnt like.  Atleast with CTV they feel more local and the anchors are more friendly feeling.  Global and CBC news I stay totally away from, but thats just me. 

June 9, 2021 5:07 pm  #9

So is Global going to keep airing Seal Team after CBS moves the show to Paramount +?
Or...??? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 9, 2021 5:11 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Bunch of boring crap.

I agree, and too many police procedurals. 

Bring back the Westerns. 

June 9, 2021 5:11 pm  #11

markow202 wrote:

Their news broadcast I watched the other night too and it wasnt good eitheir.  Something about it and the anchors I didnt like.  Atleast with CTV they feel more local and the anchors are more friendly feeling.  Global and CBC news I stay totally away from, but thats just me. 

Global news needs to get rid of the virtual set..... it makes the newscast less legitimate in my mind. CTV obviously has the best look and feel, and the CBC's evening news might as well be done out of the supply closet. They're trying to pull off the city news anchor "in the newsroom" approach, except the CBC's Toronto newsroom looks like a call centre. With that said.. CHCH may soon have them all beat. 

June 10, 2021 11:05 am  #12

torontostan wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Their news broadcast I watched the other night too and it wasnt good eitheir.  Something about it and the anchors I didnt like.  Atleast with CTV they feel more local and the anchors are more friendly feeling.  Global and CBC news I stay totally away from, but thats just me. 

Global news needs to get rid of the virtual set..... it makes the newscast less legitimate in my mind. CTV obviously has the best look and feel, and the CBC's evening news might as well be done out of the supply closet. They're trying to pull off the city news anchor "in the newsroom" approach, except the CBC's Toronto newsroom looks like a call centre. With that said.. CHCH may soon have them all beat. 

Well said....actually yeah CHCH although I rarely watch that newscast, I have seen it and its the "homecooked meal" of traditional newscasts.  The way it should be. 

July 27, 2021 9:39 am  #13

paterson1 wrote:

No word on the other Global original drama Departure season two which was completed before the death of Christopher Plummer.

Here's the first I've heard about a season 2 of Departure, which this time won't use a plane crash as the defining mystery of the show. It will debut on the U.S. NBC-owned streaming service Peacock (not available yet, if ever, in Canada) on Aug. 5th. 

When it airs on Global has yet to be announced, but you can at least watch a preview in the video below.

July 27, 2021 11:24 am  #14

Back when I was a kid Global had the best kids shows.  Inspector Gadget!  They have their whole ontario network of transmitters all still running (they spent the money keeping them unlike CBC) and was able to watch at the cottage. 

July 27, 2021 11:45 am  #15

I've never told anyone this story before, but a relative (by marriage, not family) of mine was a major investor in the original start-up of Global way back before it was even on the air. He became quite wealthy once the thing took off, even though the place wasn't exactly swimming in money in those early days. 

I was a broadcast crazy kid even then, maybe around 16 years old. And when I heard about this guy, I thought this was my shot to break into the business - even it was just as a gofer at the place. My wonderful grandmother, who lived to be 101 and was amongst the greatest human beings who ever walked this earth, knew about my aspirations and, without my knowledge, called this gentleman - and I use the term loosely. 

I have no idea what they talked about, but a few days later, she phoned me and said, "I spoke to him. He wants you to call him! Ask him if there's anything he can do for you! He's expecting your call!" So, I nervously dialed his digits and asked to speak to him. He came on the line and I explained who I was and how we were related. Yeah, it was probably too much chutzpah, but I was a kid and remember - I'd been told he wanted me to call him. 

He listened to my brief spiel about how my grandmother asked me to give him a ring, paused and then said in as rude a way as possible, "Your grandmother has a big mouth! There's nothing for you here!" And then he abruptly hung up. 

I was stunned and devastated, as only a teenager could be. Here, I thought this was my way in! And then to have it go down the drain at the hands of a real a-hole. (I can see now why he didn't want a 16-year-old kid with no experience hanging around, but there were a lot better ways to lower the boom than that.)

The happy ending to this story, if you can call it that, was they completely messed up the place and were forced to sell it. And while he made a killing from it, he soon divorced my relative, and she took him for half of what he had. She was a terrific person and lived very well and comfortably for the rest of her life on that settlement. So I always took some comfort from that! 

Anyway, that's my personal story about what used to be ID'd on air as "The Global Television Network." I've never held it against the station, just the jerk who once co-owned it, who has long since passed away. And yeah, there's some schadenfreude about what happened to him. Based on my experience, he certainly deserved it!

July 27, 2021 12:06 pm  #16

markow202 wrote:

Back when I was a kid Global had the best kids shows.  Inspector Gadget!  They have their whole ontario network of transmitters all still running (they spent the money keeping them unlike CBC) and was able to watch at the cottage. 

Seconded! Inspector Gadget, Hammy Hamster, even Kidstreet from CFAC "2&7" Calgary... as corny as the overhead clapping was.

July 27, 2021 7:58 pm  #17

Dial Twister wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Bunch of boring crap.

I agree, and too many police procedurals. 

Bring back the Westerns. 

westerns you say? if regular television could create something like this excellent show, I'd get cable back
https://youtu.be/CrlZCRncCwA

and while we're at it, how about bring back the space westerns 🤠👽🐴

Last edited by betaylored (July 27, 2021 8:04 pm)

July 28, 2021 9:10 am  #18

When I watch reruns of the westerns now, that I grew up with as a kid [Rifleman, Bonanza etc.] they don't look terribly realistic. Today it is quite easy to spot the painted set in the background. As a youngster, you didn't notice those details. All that mattered was when the bad guy got shot and died, was his fall really cool looking

July 28, 2021 9:59 am  #19

Bring back Train 48!

Seriously though, I know there's resistance here to Canadian content but you'd think with the profits that the private networks rake in they'd be able to produce more Canadian programming. This lineup isn't really much better than Global's years in the late 70s and early 80s as the "Love Boat channel" when the bloody show seemed to be on all the time. 

July 28, 2021 10:01 am  #20

I remember years ago I was watching this synidcated entertainment show out of Alberta that CHCH used to carry - a kind of cheaper version of ET Canada - and one time the host delievered a diatribe against Canadian content - not the quality of it but the regulation requiring it - and all I could think of is without CanCon rules your show wouldn't even exist so what are you complaining about?

July 28, 2021 10:17 am  #21

Hansa wrote:

I remember years ago I was watching this synidcated entertainment show out of Alberta that CHCH used to carry - a kind of cheaper version of ET Canada - and one time the host delievered a diatribe against Canadian content - not the quality of it but the regulation requiring it - and all I could think of is without CanCon rules your show wouldn't even exist so what are you complaining about?

The Movie Show?

There was also “Inside Entertainment”

July 28, 2021 11:27 am  #22

ED1 wrote:

Hansa wrote:

The Movie Show?

I think both were produced by Kirstie McClellan and hubby Larry Day's company "Pyramid Productions"

July 28, 2021 12:00 pm  #23

ED1 wrote:

Hansa wrote:

The Movie Show?

Yes, I think that was it. 

September 19, 2021 10:43 am  #24

paterson1 wrote:

No word on the other Global original drama Departure season two which was completed before the death of Christopher Plummer.

No word yet on the exact date they'll be showing season two, but they've already started work on season three, with Will and Grace's Eric McCormack joining the series. The plot revolves around the mysterious sinking of a sight-seeing ferry off the coast of Newfoundland. 

Departure Begins Filming Season Three