sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2021 8:53 am  #1

Who Will Sub For Greg Brady On GNR640?

I heard Greg Brady on GNR640 note he was taking "a few weeks off" beginning Monday. He, of course, was parachuted into the slot when Mike Stafford's career imploded. While Brady is no Stafford, I think he's been doing an excellent job in the slot and I wonder if he's there to stay. 

But he won't be around during a well-earned vacation, which leads to this question: who substitutes for the full-time substitute? Are we in for two-three weeks of Peter Shurman? Someone else? If so, who? If ever Corus wanted to audition a possible full-time replacement for their morning show, perhaps this is the best time to do it. 

July 8, 2021 10:20 am  #2

Re: Who Will Sub For Greg Brady On GNR640?

July 8, 2021 10:23 am  #3

Wow. Well spotted. I wonder if this if for a solo host or a co-host who would work with Brady. Either way, they don't have much time. I suspect they'll want the new guy or gal in place by at least the day after Labour Day, in time for a fall launch.

Corus has a huge farm team at their talk stations across the country. But Toronto has always been the jewel in the crown for radio people. And a morning opening rarely comes up. It will be fascinating to see who they pick. 

July 8, 2021 5:30 pm  #4

From the job posting:

• An on-air performer looking for stories about whom we are and where we live.

"Stories about whom we are"? I'm not a grammatician but that sounds wrong. 

July 8, 2021 5:34 pm  #5

I think Kolter Bouchard would be a good choice, especially if they want to go for a younger demographic. Unfortunately, he's undergoing a second round of chemo at present so he'll probably still going to be on sick leave for sometime. 

July 8, 2021 5:41 pm  #6

Whatever happened to Larry Silver? I could almost sell my soul to the Devil just to hear him yell
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT THEN YOU BELIEVE MEN JUST WANT TO CUDDLE!!" just one last time.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 8, 2021 7:41 pm  #7

Anyone recall this incarnation of 640 from 1994?

July 8, 2021 7:51 pm  #8

Was that the great Earl Mann doing the liner around the 1-minute mark? Man, what a voice.

July 9, 2021 9:08 am  #9

It sounded a lot like a goodbye-but-maybe-I'll-be-back-soon speech. Greg Brady took the final few minutes of his show on the Friday before he "took time off to be with family," to admit he might not be back. That certainly answers my long standing question about whether he'd been permanently appointed the host of the station's morning show. 

He thanked listeners for accepting him in the slot for the past six weeks, praised management (always a good strategy when you're hoping they'll give you the gig fulltime!) and admitted his was a somewhat different approach, subtly referring to, but never mentioning, the departed Mike Stafford. 

He said he'd love to be back soon, but that he expects to turn up somewhere. 

So is the Greg Brady morning show done for good? He didn't say how long he'll be off, but from the sound of it, if management decides to go a different way, the answer could be "yes." 

I hope they at least consider him for a co-host role, which he clearly wants. I think he's done a remarkable job in the time slot and I found myself tuning back between RB and 640 when he was on. If that counts for anything!

July 9, 2021 9:33 am  #10

Why the fascination with a station nobody cares about? 

July 9, 2021 9:59 am  #11

Rune wrote:

Why the fascination with a station nobody cares about? 

Well, for one thing, it's the only real talk competition to NT1010. For another, it boasted the major drama of the Mike Stafford implosion, not once but twice, over things he said or put online.

And perhaps most importantly, even though it will never be #1, it's very rare that a morning show slot opens up in the major market in Canada. That in itself makes it noteworthy. 

Plus, I've grown to like some of 640's programming over the last few years. It's a vastly improved station over what it used to be and thanks to the recent Bell Media cuts, now boasts a bigger newsroom than CFRB! I never thought I'd live to see that happen. 

July 9, 2021 11:37 am  #12

Supriya Dwivedi 

July 9, 2021 12:41 pm  #13

RA wrote: "I've grown to like some of 640's programming over the last few years. It's a vastly improved station over what it used to be and thanks to the recent Bell Media cuts, now boasts a bigger newsroom than CFRB! I never thought I'd live to see that happen."

And with many of the same news staff that Bell dumped in their non-stop quest to destroy Canadian radio. 

Last edited by Doug Thompson (July 9, 2021 12:42 pm)

July 9, 2021 12:49 pm  #14

I remember once talking to my old news director, who's now in his early 80s (and incredibly still sounds like he could go back on the air tomorrow.) He worked for a number of Toronto stations, including two of the biggest in town and has been around a very long time.

He couldn't believe there would ever come a day when archrivals CFRB & CHUM would ever be owned by the same company.

But here we are. 

July 9, 2021 1:56 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

He couldn't believe there would ever come a day when archrivals CFRB & CHUM would ever be owned by the same company.
But here we are. 

& that's just locally. CHUM & CKOC in the same hands also... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 9, 2021 5:19 pm  #16

At one time CFRB and CHUM were neighbours in more ways than one. Their broadcast studios were located a block or so from each other. They were #1 and #2 in the radio ratings for many years and their transmitter sites were almost next door to each other.

July 9, 2021 6:08 pm  #17

Hansa wrote:

I think Kolter Bouchard would be a good choice, especially if they want to go for a younger demographic. Unfortunately, he's undergoing a second round of chemo at present so he'll probably still going to be on sick leave for sometime. 

Really interesting pick. Smart guy and well-spoken.

Won't happen though, as Edge's success is far more important than 640's, and frankly the ship has sailed on getting that audience any younger.

July 19, 2021 2:42 pm  #18

After that long goodbye earlier this month, Greg Brady was back in the air chair on Monday and he'll seemingly be there for a while. It does not appear he's been permanently given the AM drive slot, though. It's still called "The Morning Show," as opposed to the "Greg Brady Show." I would like to see them give him a shot, although I really miss his live Saturday morning gig, which is now all rerolls. 

Still, Corus seems to be looking for the right candidate. I have to believe whoever gets this will have to be in place for the fall, likely the day after Labour Day. That only leaves them about a month or so to figure out who gets the slot. 

July 19, 2021 3:29 pm  #19

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of Greg Brady. I have been totally enjoying him since he’s been on in the morning. He’s bright, interesting, funny, and most of all he isn’t full of himself. I think this is the first time I’ve thoroughly enjoyed 640’s morning show and am listening to it exclusively.

July 19, 2021 4:12 pm  #20

I third that emotion. He's proven himself worthy of the slot.