sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2021 10:21 pm  #1

Funny 820 Is Back After More Than 3 Days Off The Air

I tuned in to CHAM late Friday night around 11 PM, only to find nothing but static. There has been no signal of any kind on 820 in almost 24 hours as I post this. 

I was wondering if Bell finally pulled the plug on the station, after so many months and months of almost non-existent ratings, but it remains active on the web. So something serious must have happened to their transmitter for them to be off so long, now almost 24 hours (and that's only from when I tuned in. It may well be longer.) 

Anyone know what's going on? Perhaps like CKTB a few weeks ago, some part has gone in their TX and they're waiting for a replacement to be delivered. (But at least 610 had a low powered back-up - 820 is completely gone.) Or it may be an even simpler explanation - it's a holiday weekend and there's no one around to tend to this outage - and maybe nobody at Bell even noticed.

In the meantime, there's nothing funny about what's going on at 820. Unless you find static hilarious.

July 3, 2021 11:47 pm  #2

Re: Funny 820 Is Back After More Than 3 Days Off The Air

if you have a radio station and no one listens, is it a real station?

July 4, 2021 12:11 am  #3

With CHAM  down, is WBAP available at night?

July 4, 2021 7:19 am  #4

cash wrote:

hey .. i listen to Funny 820 .. it's my late night channel of choice .. 

was listening last night but yes, i have a bedside internet radio.

July 4, 2021 7:20 am  #5

WVSG Columbus OH (Catholic programming) and WCPT (talk, Chicago-Willow Springs) both heard in Kawarthas during very brief overnight check. No idea why they're off, or if this is permanent...

July 4, 2021 8:50 am  #6

Bell should just sell the two AM stations in Hamilton.  Last rating Funny 820 had only 11,200 weekly listeners  in the central market.  The only station worse was CKOC (Bloomberg) with 4,300 listeners every week.   Hamilton is a rough market with so many out of town stations that take a big chunk of local listenership. Both stations would be more successful and the public would be better served if they were sold to local interests with a local focus and formats.  Still think that CHCH and CKOC would be a great match. It is a shame to waste a 50,000 signal. 

Recently saw CHCH's new facility, in north Hamilton's Clappison's Corners. The actual building looks like a big improvement from the old downtown studios.  The company logos are now on the outside and it looks like the construction of the addition is almost complete. They are to move in late summer or early fall.  CHCH has done a great job with the recent shift from the old building to the temporary facility which is across the road from their new permanent home. They have been calling the temporary studios "Summer Camp".    

July 4, 2021 9:07 am  #7

g121 wrote:

cash wrote:

Sounds like you don't need a radio at all to meet your needs. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 4, 2021 9:50 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

g121 wrote:

cash wrote:

Sounds like you don't need a radio at all to meet your needs. 

internet radio means saying goodbye to static/buzzing interference .. it's a beautiful thing : )) .. 

on my desktop/laptop, i like the Radio? Sure! app ( http://www.radiosure.com/ )

Last edited by g121 (July 4, 2021 9:50 am)

July 5, 2021 2:34 pm  #9

Tried it Monday morning and more static.

Just sampled it now around 2:30 PM as this is posted and it's back. No idea what happened or why it was gone for more than 3 1/2 days, but even with few listeners - that's a very long time!

So it doesn't appear Bell has abandoned the frequency or the station. I must say I'm glad to have it back. Funny 820 is a great alternative, especially on the weekends, when there's not much else on talk-wise. Have to admit I missed it on Saturday and Sunday.

One thing that really irritated me though, and it's a sadly growing trend. I actually called Bell Media in Hamilton several times to ask them about this and it's absolutely impossible to get anyone on the phone. Everything is voicemail, unless you know someone's extension - and even then, you get more voicemail. 

I remember when TV and radio stations always had receptionists to route calls and answer listener/viewer questions. Not anymore. They want you to watch and frequent their sponsors. But boy, they will do anything not to talk to those same people.

And it's not just Bell. Rogers does the exact same thing, as I found out when I once tried to reach an old friend at City TV. No extension number? No way to get anyone on the phone. 

So much for audience involvement!

July 6, 2021 12:20 pm  #10

No back up transmitter? Maybe it's just not that important to anyone.

July 7, 2021 8:01 am  #11

Like most, I didn't even know it was down until someone told me. As someone who worked there during the high times of the late 80's and early 90's, it's a horrible waste of a signal,

July 7, 2021 8:06 am  #12

Carl Patrick wrote:

Like most, I didn't even know it was down until someone told me. As someone who worked there during the high times of the late 80's and early 90's, it's a horrible waste of a signal,

"Legends" Country, or classic country would make a lot more money.  
At least then there would be an audience of people buying the products advertised.
When was the last time anyone bought a product advertised on Funny 820? lol 
NOT ME!!!! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.