sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2021 10:28 pm  #1

Gavin MacLeod Of Love Boat & MTM Gone At 90

He was great as Murray Slaughter in the Mary Tyler Moore Show, but I was never a fan of The Love Boat. I also recall Gavin MacLeod in a very memorable cameo role on the old Dick van Dyke Show, in which Buddy says, "I love guys like this, they'll laugh at anything. Watch this: "shoehorn." At which point MacLeod (as the character) starts to laugh uncontrollably. 

He was 90, completing a pretty miserable week for losses, which now include Tommy Shannon, B.J. Thomas and Paul Soles.

Gavin MacLeod Dies: ‘Love Boat’ Captain And ‘Mary Tyler Moore’ Colleague Was 90

May 30, 2021 12:46 am  #2

Re: Gavin MacLeod Of Love Boat & MTM Gone At 90

So this means the only surviving Mary Tyler Moore Show regulars are Ed Asner and Betty White. Asner is 91 and White is 99. 

May 30, 2021 6:18 am  #3

MacLeod also appeared in McHale's Navy from 1962-64 as Joseph "Happy" Haines.

May 30, 2021 9:20 am  #4

Here's MacLeod on The van Dyke Show

May 30, 2021 10:50 am  #5

Hansa wrote:

So this means the only surviving Mary Tyler Moore Show regulars are Ed Asner and Betty White. Asner is 91 and White is 99. 

They're unusual, but it turns out, they're not alone in those still working all these years later. 

14 Actors Over 90 Still Making a Mark in Hollywood, From Mel Brooks to Betty White

May 30, 2021 5:10 pm  #6

Here's a fact I never knew - Gavin MacLeod originally tried out for the part of Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, but thought he could play Murray better. 

Capt. Stubing was almost Lou Grant

June 6, 2021 4:12 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Hansa wrote:

They're unusual, but it turns out, they're not alone in those still working all these years later. 

14 Actors Over 90 Still Making a Mark in Hollywood, From Mel Brooks to Betty White

This is in terribly bad taste, but I have to admit it made me laugh out loud. 

June 6, 2021 5:47 pm  #8

Speaking of really bad taste (and getting wildly off topic) the advertisement below never saw the light of day, for obvious reasons. But it really was created by an ad man - and fortunately stopped before it reached the client. It was supposed to be a bus back for an ABC special on The Beatles' Anthology release in the 90s. (George Harrison was still alive then.)

The idea that anyone could have believed this might be acceptable is simply mind blowing. It remains one of my all time favourite bits of horrible taste, so bad that I can't help but laugh every time I see it.

The Ad Graveyard

June 6, 2021 6:12 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

...The idea that anyone could have believed this might be acceptable is simply mind blowing.

Amen to that.

June 7, 2021 10:06 am  #10

Some of the other rejected print ads in that graveyard site are absolutely hilarious, providing you have a morbid, dark and twisted sense of humour.

June 7, 2021 10:22 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Hansa wrote:

But truth indeed can be stranger than fiction : )) ..

June 7, 2021 10:58 am  #12

g121 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

But truth indeed can be stranger than fiction : )) ..

I stole this from the Oldies Board (Sorry Lorne!) but it's too good not to repeat on this thread.