sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2021 10:26 am  #1

Great TV Theme Music

TV themes are becoming something of a lost art. They used to be at the top of every single show. Now most simply skip them altogether, thinking they're a tune-out. I admit I tend to skip by them on my DVR on the shows that still use them, to save time and get to the program itself. 

In this article, a professor explores what he believes are the greatest TV themes of all time. I agree with some of his choices, but not others. Although I will say he mentions my favourite - the theme for the Mary Tyler Moore Show, although only the one that aired in its first year. "Love Is All Around" was written by Sonny Curtis and was released as a single, but surprisingly given the weekly exposure, didn't do all that well on the charts. 

Great TV Theme Music

April 19, 2021 10:52 am  #2

Re: Great TV Theme Music

David Wilcox does Street Legal season 1 theme .. doesn't get any better : )) .. 
& a fond sigh seeing Sam's and A&A's at the end of the clip .. 

April 19, 2021 11:11 am  #3

This is interesting.
At a time when TV shows were pulling away from theme songs, the new Knight Rider still cared
to carry through with one.

The Classic:

grilled.cheese wrote:

The new (2008) Knight Rider:

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 19, 2021 1:09 pm  #4

My personal favourite tv themes in no particular order. Peter Gunn [1st season] M Squad [Count Basie version] Man From U.N.C.L.E. [2nd season] Have Gun Will Travel, Hawaii 5-O [1969], Barney Miller, Streets of San Francisco and Perry Mason.

April 19, 2021 2:26 pm  #5

Welcome Back, by John Sebastian, was not only one of those rare TV theme songs that made it to #1 on Billboard, it's the only song in history that made producers change the name of their show.

It was supposed to be called just "Kotter." But the theme song was so good, they changed the title to "Welcome Back, Kotter." A much better name IMHO.

April 19, 2021 3:11 pm  #6

can't forget "The Wire" season 1 .. 

"The Sopranos" wasn't too shabby either ..

April 19, 2021 4:31 pm  #7

Jennifer Hudson singing the Jeffersons theme

Last edited by Hansa (April 19, 2021 4:31 pm)

April 19, 2021 4:36 pm  #8

My favourite theme is the iconic and instantly recognizable Dragnet theme song.  It has been so iconic, that it has been used used when people indicate trouble ahead.

Like a couple others mentioned in the article, all you need is the first 4 notes.  Now that's power.

Last edited by Peter the K (April 19, 2021 4:37 pm)

April 19, 2021 5:24 pm  #9

Peter the K wrote:

My favourite theme is the iconic and instantly recognizable Dragnet theme song.  It has been so iconic, that it has been used used when people indicate trouble ahead 

Interesting you would say that. The official name of the song, as I understand it, is "Dragnet Theme (Danger Ahead.)" So trouble ahead isn't that far off!

April 19, 2021 5:44 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

My favourite theme is the iconic and instantly recognizable Dragnet theme song.  It has been so iconic, that it has been used used when people indicate trouble ahead 

Interesting you would say that. The official name of the song, as I understand it, is "Dragnet Theme (Danger Ahead.)" So trouble ahead isn't that far off!

I did not know that.  Thanks for that cool tidbit.
It just occurred to me that the first 9 notes of the song are a ring tone on my phone to indicate a call/text/email from my mother-in-law. 

April 19, 2021 6:59 pm  #11

I liked the arrangment of the theme they used in the 2003 reboot with Ed O'Neill - great trumpet solo.

Peter the K wrote:

My favourite theme is the iconic and instantly recognizable Dragnet theme song.  It has been so iconic, that it has been used used when people indicate trouble ahead.

Like a couple others mentioned in the article, all you need is the first 4 notes.  Now that's power.

Last edited by Hansa (April 19, 2021 7:04 pm)

April 19, 2021 7:23 pm  #12

a weird SOWNY glitch for me ..

on my desktop, posted Youtube vids are fine.

.. BUT ..

on my laptop, i just see a "www.youtube-nocookie.com refused to connect." error.

both desktop & laptop are Win10.

anyone have any clues on how to resolve?