sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2021 10:49 am  #1

Globe & Mail Catches Up To Some Old Online Radio Sites

They've been featured on SOWNY in years past, but the Globe and Mail has finally caught on to two of the more creative radio apps on the web. 

Radio Garden has a globe (but no mail!) interface that allows you to pick specially selected radio stations from around the world.

And Drive and Listen shows you a pre-taped streetscape from many cities worldwide (including Toronto) while listening to an accompanying radio station. (But what you hear isn't exactly your choice. The stations seem to be selected at random, with Toronto's choices being CKDX, The Jewel 88.5, CHAY from Barrie, WNED from Buffalo, CKGE from Oshawa and CKPC from Brantford - ironically none of them being from Toronto at all. Only one is - CIRV, AKA RED-FM, a virtually unknown ethnic station at 88.9.)

From Mumbai to Mogadishu, music lovers are travelling the world via apps that let users surf local radio

April 16, 2021 7:54 pm  #2

Re: Globe & Mail Catches Up To Some Old Online Radio Sites

Online streaming is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

April 16, 2021 9:54 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

Online streaming is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Not so - online streaming on its own simply places stations online. Different delivery truck, for the most part.

Maybe the term 'Radio' is done like dinner or soon will be, but online venues are already massively increasing our choices. I like live 'Audio' content, but even non-live podcasts have strengths other than spontaneity, like depth, or imagination, which are also valuable. There is something magic about turning on a radio and casting one's net to see what comes in. But that's hardly the only magic. Creativity rules!

April 16, 2021 11:14 pm  #4

turkeytop wrote:

how so?  it's just a different delivery mechanism.

i love my Ocean Digital 336N internet radio.  can listen to local on-air stations via their web stream plus can listen to stations from around the world.

& the added perk .. ZERO interference or buzz !

April 16, 2021 11:32 pm  #5

Saul wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Not so - online streaming on its own simply places stations online. Different delivery truck, for the most part.

Maybe the term 'Radio' is done like dinner or soon will be, but online venues are already massively increasing our choices. I like live 'Audio' content, but even non-live podcasts have strengths other than spontaneity, like depth, or imagination, which are also valuable. There is something magic about turning on a radio and casting one's net to see what comes in. But that's hardly the only magic. Creativity rules!

That's like saying intravenous feeding is just another way of delivering the same nourishment.

I'm a radio purist. Online streaming will never be a substitute.

Last edited by turkeytop (April 17, 2021 12:01 am)

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

April 17, 2021 10:29 am  #6

turkeytop wrote:

Saul wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

That's like saying intravenous feeding is just another way of delivering the same nourishment.

I'm a radio purist. Online streaming will never be a substitute.

In which case I'm sure you only listen to radio through headphones on your crystal radio set. 

April 17, 2021 1:22 pm  #7

Streaming will never replace radio. Radio is cheap, It's portable, it doesn't require any special skills to operate and it's free. No subscription required.

April 17, 2021 2:26 pm  #8

Very few young people still listen to radio.  This does not bode well for its future.  Apartment dwellers like myself
cannot receive adequate reception of AM stations, so streaming is the only option.  In Toronto we cannot receive
NPR over the air so streaming is the only option.  Other than Classical 96 and rarely CBC One there is nothing on
local FM that appeals to me, so streaming is the only option.  In the car I listen to Sirius XM all the time. Therefore
I strongly feel that as the years go by, radio’s days are numbered.  My kids aged in their 40s do not have a radio
at home and my grandkids use their phones for music.  

April 17, 2021 2:55 pm  #9

That's why radio needs to publicize their apps and make them better.  Radio Player Canada is more buggy with fewer features than any other music app.  There's no rewind function, you can't record, you can't "favorite" songs, you can't access shows on demand, you can't listen to podcasts and you can't build custom playlists.  It's 2021 not 2005.  Let's get with the times.

April 17, 2021 3:13 pm  #10

mojo55 wrote:

Very few young people still listen to radio.  This does not bode well for its future.  Apartment dwellers like myself
cannot receive adequate reception of AM stations, so streaming is the only option.  In Toronto we cannot receive
NPR over the air so streaming is the only option.  Other than Classical 96 and rarely CBC One there is nothing on
local FM that appeals to me, so streaming is the only option.  In the car I listen to Sirius XM all the time. Therefore
I strongly feel that as the years go by, radio’s days are numbered.  My kids aged in their 40s do not have a radio

I have about 25 radios in my house. The only phone is on the kitchen wall,

April 17, 2021 10:24 pm  #11

I have five radios in my apartment and all my listening is done through Tune-in via my Sonos box.

April 18, 2021 12:09 am  #12

mace wrote:

I have five radios in my apartment and all my listening is done through Tune-in via my Sonos box.

Well, I guess this means we can't be friends.  LOL

April 18, 2021 10:05 am  #13

I bought an HD Radio for just this reason - I can get the FM HD signals for 1010 and 680 in my apartment, while the AM band flooded with noise. Ironically, HD Radio also killed WBFO reception when 88.9 decided to put on 4 HD sub-channels!

mojo55 wrote:

April 18, 2021 10:08 am  #14

My radio is on at the moment (Sunday 10am) . It's the first thing I hear in the morning, in the car and most of the day at work.  And if I stream something it usually a podcast version of a radio show.

April 18, 2021 10:31 am  #15

I guess I'm old fashioned. I just ordered a new radio off of Amazon and it will be here in the coming days. My old multi-band Sony finally signed off for good a few weeks ago and I've been looking for a replacement ever since. As you can guess by this board's main subject matter, I consume a ton of radio, hours and hours a day, mostly while I'm doing other things, but it does help fill in the gaps. 

I even take one with me when I walk the dog, because, while I love him, frankly, he's not a very good conversationalist. (Although don't get him started on the subject of treats, because he'll never stop!) My new radio is the Sangean ATS-405 multiband model, and while it will never replace the one I just lost, it was the best alternative for my needs. 

The one thing I will never understand about these things is why they insist on having separate memory presets for separate bands. If I want 30 AMs and 3 FMs, I should be able to do that. But no, for some reason I can't figure out, they restrict you to X number on the AM band and X number on FM, and you can't mix and match the presets. Drives me crazy and I know it's possible, because I've owned radios that can do it. They mostly just don't make them anymore. 

By the way, one that does is my portable go-to, and I've bought dozens of them over the years. The Sangean DT-200X (below) not only fits in your pocket, but it's absolutely fantastic on AM DX for something that small. What a great radio if you're looking for a mostly headphones-device that you can take with you anywhere. It's under 70 bucks at most sites.

April 18, 2021 12:58 pm  #16

I have several Sangean radios. They're great. I use all of my radios really carefully to protect them. Most of them are irreplaceable. Not many radios being made anymore.

Last edited by turkeytop (April 18, 2021 12:58 pm)

April 18, 2021 1:11 pm  #17

This place in Toronto has a very good range of products, depending on what you're looking for, and sells it both out of their store and online. Unfortunately, with COVID-induced shortages, there's a lot of stuff out of stock at the moment. Fun to browse through, though.

Radio World

April 18, 2021 4:00 pm  #18

RA: I am curious. Which SONY radio "signed off for the last time"? I still have a SONY 2010 in good working order.

April 18, 2021 4:24 pm  #19

It was a Sony called the ICF-SW7600GR, a pic of which is below. It lasted me about 20 years, but one day - as I was listening to it - the AM band on it suddenly went out. All I could get was what sounded like soft mute. Even local stations couldn't be heard. Nothing. FM was fine, except I rarely listen to FM. 

I took it into the official place that repairs Sony stuff, but was told the motherboard was gone and they don't make them anymore. So its day was very sadly done. I was sorry to see it go. An earlier model, called the ICF-7600D, which I bought on Boxing Day 1980, still works. It's just not as reliable as it used to be and the volume control is a bit wonky. So I wanted to get something new with all the bands - including SW - available. 

I checked eBay for anyone selling the one that quit but people were asking ridiculous prices - one wanted as much as $900! No way was I paying that, especially for a radio I couldn't test out for myself and it's not worth that much in any event. Anyway, I will miss the Sony, but it was great while it lasted. 

April 18, 2021 8:21 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

This place in Toronto has a very good range of products, depending on what you're looking for, and sells it both out of their store and online. Unfortunately, with COVID-induced shortages, there's a lot of stuff out of stock at the moment. Fun to browse through, though.

Radio World

Thanks for posting the link. I didn't know about that.

There used to be a place in Oshawa called Durham Radio. They sold mainly ham radio gear, but they could get just about any other kind of radio. I got a Palstar from them and one of my Sangeans. I don't believe they're in business now.

April 18, 2021 8:26 pm  #21

They went out of business a few years ago. I used to buy a few things from them and was sorry to see them go, but they said competition from Amazon and the Internet was too much for a small operation and they decided it wasn't worth continuing. Too bad. I miss that place. 

April 18, 2021 9:03 pm  #22

This Radio World seems to have pretty good prices. In normal times we spend our winters in Florida. I always ordered from Universal Radio, while we were in the U.S. But now, Universal Radio is defunct.

Comparing some of the prices at Radio World, they may be higher in Canadian Dollars, but when you calculate the exchange rate, they're pretty close, maybe even better.

April 18, 2021 9:58 pm  #23

Yes, their prices aren't too bad. It's their current stock that's the problem. Not their fault - the pandemic has slowed orders to a trickle. I tried to buy my new radio from them and I gave them two months(!) to try and get what I wanted. They couldn't. I wanted to buy locally, instead of from Amazon, but I couldn't wait any longer. 

Turns out, Amazon cost me $50 more. But at least they had it in stock and it's coming this week.

I don't hold it against Radio World and I would buy from them again if the need arises. 

April 18, 2021 10:11 pm  #24

YTZ_DX wrote:

I bought an HD Radio for just this reason - I can get the FM HD signals for 1010 and 680 in my apartment, while the AM band flooded with noise. Ironically, HD Radio also killed WBFO reception when 88.9 decided to put on 4 HD sub-channels! 

Any particular model number of your HD Radio, YTZ_DX? I'd be curious to see it.

April 18, 2021 11:52 pm  #25

There's also this:  https://worldradiomap.com/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 19, 2021 12:09 am  #26

There used to be a site where you could type in a song and find radio stations currently playing that song. 

April 19, 2021 8:56 am  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

There's also this:  https://worldradiomap.com/

Cool that all the HD stations are available. Interesting when I checked out Toronto, WJR was listed. While the station is "listenable" in the GTA with a really superb quality radio, to the average listener... um no.

April 19, 2021 9:44 am  #28

I have a friend who collects antique radios - the kind with tubes that weigh half a ton and were meant to sit in living rooms as furniture back in the 30s and 40s. Almost all the ones sold back then in Toronto would come with a dial that highlighted various local stations. And yes, WJR was almost always listed. 

In fact, if you look at this old newspaper radio guide from the Toronto Star back in 1958, there are a plethora of Canadian and Buffalo stations and only one other from way out of town - WJR. Not only that, but it lists its FM outlet, too. I suspect that's because the Star wasn't just sold in Toronto, but in places like London or Windsor, where WJR was more easily receivable.

April 19, 2021 10:18 am  #29

That Tor Star schedule shows 1490 CKCY which was a Sault Ste Marie AM broadcaster.    Could that be a typo?    No one in Toronto caught a signal from the Sault in '58 (or since).

However the signal of 1490 CKCR Kitchener-Waterloo could be reached (not well) in Toronto and K-W people did subscribe to the Toronto Star in '58/59.   I delivered them daily (no Sunday paper then) and collected monthly.

Last edited by geo (April 19, 2021 10:18 am)

April 19, 2021 10:31 am  #30

You could be right that it's wrong. According to the History of Canadian Broadcasting site, CKCY started life at 1400 and then moved to 920, before it signed off for good in 1992. So it couldn't have been the station at 1490. 

Guess it's too late for the Star to issue a correction!