sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2021 9:41 am  #1

CBC Running Out Of "Hit" Shows & Needs To Replace Them

I can't comment on the shows the CBC has lost this year, since I don't remember the last time I watched anything on the network. But the article makes clear that, like many networks, when its perceived hit shows all come to an end in the same season, it may leave a big hole in their schedule for next year. 

CBC needs more 'great Canadian storytelling' after loss of hit TV shows, say experts 

April 1, 2021 10:12 am  #2

Re: CBC Running Out Of "Hit" Shows & Needs To Replace Them

I have "heard of" all of the series mentioned in the article, but have never viewed them because they don't interest me. Other than Corrie, Marketplace and HNIC, there is nothing on the Mother Corporation's schedule that I would ever watch. But hey, that's just me. I am sure there are many CBC offerings that others would find interesting and entertaining.

April 1, 2021 10:21 am  #3

One of the best shows on their sked. is Still Standing. Funny, clever and you learn something about some place in Canada. It could easily be a hour long.
https://www.cbc.ca/television/stillstanding

Last edited by andysradio (April 1, 2021 10:34 am)

April 1, 2021 10:29 am  #4

One of the best shows CBC has ever given us is this season's "Pretty Hard Cases."  A mixture of drama and comedy.   Couldn't believe it was coming from CBC.  Meredith MacNeill is brilliant.  Watch an American network try to steal her.

Last edited by John D (April 1, 2021 10:30 am)

April 1, 2021 12:11 pm  #5

andysradio wrote:

One of the best shows on their sked. is Still Standing. Funny, clever and you learn something about some place in Canada. It could easily be a hour long.
https://www.cbc.ca/television/stillstanding

It's a great way to learn ever more about the land we call home.

April 1, 2021 12:23 pm  #6

Murdoch Mysteries is the only CBC show cracking the top 30 at present (aside from HNIC if that still counts as CBC). Kim's Convenience and previously Schitt's Creek are popular but I think a lot of their viewership is streamed. 

As usual, US imports dominate the top 30 as well as Canadian versions of US reality shows (Big Brother Canada, Masterchef Canada). Interestingly, the History Channel has a Canadian show in the top 30: THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND. 

[url]https://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/March%2015-March%2021,%202021%20(National).pdf[/url]

CBC pretty much stopped importing US shows in the 80s. Would CBC get better ratings for its Canadian shows if it had some top US imports included in the schedule during the week?

Last edited by Hansa (April 1, 2021 12:23 pm)

April 1, 2021 1:25 pm  #7

I wonder how much longer Murdoch is going to hold out.  This past season (Its 14th!) has had a number of episodes that were -- um well -- 'out there'.  It almost seems like the writers are running out of ideas.

A couple of seasons ago they did a Halloween episode that was so outrageous it annoyed a lot of fans on the web.  I don't think they got it.  But it was a one-off and worked really well because of it.  

Sometimes, you have to put things to bed and stop teasing the poor shark.

April 1, 2021 1:56 pm  #8

i really enjoy Kim's Convenience.  The dad & mom are particularly funny.  I most often stream it on CBC Gem.  Sad the show is ending.

Last edited by g121 (April 1, 2021 1:56 pm)

April 1, 2021 2:05 pm  #9

g121 wrote:

i really enjoy Kim's Convenience.  The dad & mom are particularly funny.  I most often stream it on CBC Gem.  Sad the show is ending.

Then you might be happy to hear they've greenlighted a spinoff featuring one of the characters. I'm not sure, but outside of Murdoch Mysteries, has the CBC ever done a spinoff of one of its own series before?

Kim’s Convenience spinoff in the works at CBC   

April 1, 2021 5:50 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

g121 wrote:

Then you might be happy to hear they've greenlighted a spinoff featuring one of the characters. I'm not sure, but outside of Murdoch Mysteries, has the CBC ever done a spinoff of one of its own series before?

Kim’s Convenience spinoff in the works at CBC   

One of them is Shannon moving to Hamilton and starting a new career there.

I'll definitely be watching.