sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2021 8:36 am  #1

CFNY June 1980 and Other Radio Fragments

A new upload featuring Bruce Heyding on CFNY from June 1980. He was the music director at CFNY and made the transition from the David Pritchard era to the David Marsden era at NY. 

You will also hear the Late Night Andre on the first break and Brad McNally on the second break.

Also clips from the Unknown DJ on WUWU, 1982, some WPHD and WGRQ from 1974 and very tiny snips of Rock 102 and 1050 CHUM from 1980.

CFNY, WPHD, WGRQ etc

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 17, 2021 8:53 am  #2

Re: CFNY June 1980 and Other Radio Fragments

On the last one I'm trying guess what John Borders was backselling prior to Cars.  It would have to have been another hit in June 1980, because Stereo Rock lined up two currents.  Damn - do you have that whole tape Fitz?

Also that's Ray Girard on Benatar's Rated X.  Cool finds!

EDIT: I wonder if it's the Manhattans and Shining Star. (prior to Gary, I mean)

Last edited by Jody Thornton (March 17, 2021 8:55 am)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 17, 2021 4:42 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

On the last one I'm trying guess what John Borders was backselling prior to Cars.  It would have to have been another hit in June 1980, because Stereo Rock lined up two currents.  Damn - do you have that whole tape Fitz?

Also that's Ray Girard on Benatar's Rated X.  Cool finds!

EDIT: I wonder if it's the Manhattans and Shining Star. (prior to Gary, I mean)

I do have the entire tape and I digitized it when I took the fragments from it. I think Cars was the first song on the tape. Very bad quality 8 track. A dodgy format and made worse in this case by the fact that it was recorded over a pre-recorded tape. The other 8 track recording I posted from 1974 is better but suffers from reception issues on the Buffalo stations.

Anyway here is the raw audio of the tape that Rock 102 and CHUM is taken from from 1980:

8 Track Recording 1980

Cool Airchecks and More:

March 17, 2021 5:09 pm  #4

Thank you SOOOOO Much - I'm downloading now.  Cheers!
EDIT:  Oh and the song would have been "Magic" by Olivia Newton John (the one that was played before "Cars")

Last edited by Jody Thornton (March 17, 2021 6:34 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 20, 2021 9:37 am  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

Thank you SOOOOO Much - I'm downloading now.  Cheers!
EDIT:  Oh and the song would have been "Magic" by Olivia Newton John (the one that was played before "Cars")

I did not make that Rock 102 recording and have no recollection on where I found it but even for 8 Track it is a bad recording and I think the person might have done it with one external mic.

Anyway I will not try and re-deem 8 tracks but I found this beat up old 8 track tape and test recorded a small section of a 1980's air check from WCLS FM Detroit ( originally on reel to reel tape) and it sounds not great but better than the Rock 102 tape. Maybe with better tape I might have achieved better results

WCLS FM on 8 Track

Last edited by Fitz (March 20, 2021 9:38 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 12, 2021 6:26 am  #6

8 tracks are probably the most frustrating format I have encountered. Chalk this player, which I acquired several years ago, to one of the most hideous sounding. Does not have RCA outs and so I tried hooking it up via the headphone out to my stereo and it sounded bad. Can't remember if I ever tried it with speakers but I will say that the car dashboard look is quite unique:

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 12, 2021 6:44 am  #7

Great work on your site Fitz. You've amassed quite an audio library there. I especially love the CHUM-FM stuff - especially great to hear David Pritchard again. Bravo, and keep up the good work!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 12, 2021 7:07 am  #8

Dale Patterson wrote:

Great work on your site Fitz. You've amassed quite an audio library there. I especially love the CHUM-FM stuff - especially great to hear David Pritchard again. Bravo, and keep up the good work!

Thanks Dale. I am a regular listener to your site as well and love the recordings.

The old CHUM FM material is great. I have almost exhausted all of the recordings I made. I have some stuff contributed by a friend that is excellent as well and when covid subsides he may visit to provide more.

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 12, 2021 7:35 am  #9

One station I'd like to find more of is CHOM-FM in Montreal. Marsden was there before CHUM-FM. Quite a station back in the day.

April 12, 2021 7:53 am  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

One station I'd like to find more of is CHOM-FM in Montreal. Marsden was there before CHUM-FM. Quite a station back in the day.

Yes finding some CHOM FM content would be great. I have seen a sample on You Tube but that's it. Station has a Toronto DJ connection  as well as David Marsden and The Live Earl Jive were there before they were on Toronto FM and Tim Thomas and Reiner Schwarz went there after working at CHUM FM. I heard the station a few times on visits to Montreal. Still remember hearing something from Brian Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets in 1976 on the mountain. I think CHUM FM was not playing any Brian Eno by that time.

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 12, 2021 9:10 am  #11

We are very fortunate to have these recordings. Somebody had the foresight to (a) record them (b) save them and (c) be kind enough to share them via the Internet. It amazes me how many great airchecks keep surfacing after the fact. The one thing we can't find is an Al Boliska morning show on CHUM (1957-63). That's the Holy Grail of airchecks for me. We have one recording of his noon-time show from 1958 but he didn't do his funny stuff in that time slot as he hated it.

April 12, 2021 9:26 am  #12

An interesting read about the legendary David Pritchard and the beginning of CHUM-FM from classical to underground rock. There are even a few audio snippets from Pritchard's show about the Beatles. 

David Pritchard and The Underground CHUM-FM

April 12, 2021 12:10 pm  #13

I don't know if this is true or not. One of the reasons CHUM FM switched to Progressive Rock was because CKFH was starting to have some success with the Open Lid.

April 12, 2021 2:20 pm  #14

Here's a sped-up look at the origins of CHUM-FM, beginning way back in 1948, when CHUM was first awarded a licence - but never actually got the station on the air for another 15 years. (It was originally supposed to occupy 100.7, where CHIN-FM currently resides.)

CHUM's second shot at an FM franchise was turned down for the dumbest of bureaucratic reasons. 

CHUM-FM finally signed on at 104.5 on Sept. 15, 1963. But it was a long way away from its AM counterpart - or what it would eventually become. 

This last one is a bit of a mystery. Less than a year after it went to a progressive rock format - and into radio history - this appeared in one of the broadcast magazines. Where this rumour came from is unknown, but the station never did alter its famous format. What it might have changed to is anyone's guess. 

April 12, 2021 8:01 pm  #15

It should also be mentioned that Don Shafer (Shafe In The Box) also joined CHUM-FM following a couple years at CHOM-FM . Of course it was called CKGM - FM when we were there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shafer

April 12, 2021 8:51 pm  #16

Marsden wrote:

It should also be mentioned that Don Shafer (Shafe In The Box) also joined CHUM-FM following a couple years at CHOM-FM . Of course it was called CKGM - FM when we were there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shafer

I remember Don Shaffer well on CHUM FM and he was later in management at Q 107. I think when came over to CHUM FM he replaced Tim Thomas who in turn went to CHOM FM. I never knew that Don Shaffer had worked at CHOM.

Anyway aside from that one You Tube clip I remembered one other semi-vintage CHOM FM clip with Earl Live when he went back to CHOM for their 15th anniversary. Great clip and we learn how Earl met Beverly Hills. Great playlist as well and they play Babe Ruth who were very big in Montreal. Part of the broadcast may have also run on CFNY. the clip is from spiritofradio.ca/

Earl Jive on CHOM-FM with Beverly on CFNY

Last edited by Fitz (April 13, 2021 5:05 am)

Cool Airchecks and More: