sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2021 7:07 pm  #1

Piers Morgan storms off set and quits ITV

Not from Southern Ontario/Western New York, but Piers Morgan used to be on CNN.

Bringing it back to local relevance - has a host ever stormed off set on TV or radio here while live, and then quit (or got fired)?

March 9, 2021 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Piers Morgan storms off set and quits ITV

Little has been lost.

March 9, 2021 7:53 pm  #3

Not sure it was a case of storming off, but as the story goes Brian Henderson (later of CHUM fame)was working the late night or overnight shift at CKBB in Barrie, put on a record and walked out.   Not sure if that meant he quit or was later fired by the stations but apparently that is how he finished up his time at the station.
Didn't seem to end his career in radio.

March 9, 2021 9:08 pm  #4

Interesting how in the UK newspapers (both the tabloid rags and "quality" products) still sell by the truckload every day.  Good Morning UK on ITV, which is the CTV of the UK, likely has great morning ratings. Look at the huge set they have.   Begs the questions why don't our papers sell?  And why is it that nobody ever talks about anything they saw on any morning television shows in Canada?

Every time I tune in Your Morning on CTV, it is always some stupid video of a dog or cat doing something cute or the "girls" are making fun of Ben and everyone is giggling and talking over each other. Oh and let's do the weather for the 20th time.  Canada AM was much better.  Your Morning really lacks content and is a lightweight boring show. 

Last edited by paterson1 (March 9, 2021 9:09 pm)

March 9, 2021 9:16 pm  #5

There's lots not to like about the way the British press conducts itself, but one thing they do that we don't is extensively cover TV and especially radio. The former is given a little bit of coverage these days at papers here that still retain entertainment reporters or critics, but outside of Rush Limbaugh's and Dick Smyth's recent passings, I can't think of a single radio story I've seen in not just months but years - beyond the Bell Media firings.  

Oh well, at least there's SOWNY!

March 10, 2021 10:15 am  #6

Yes there is SOWNY! I find this site interesting and informative on everything from the the technical side of media to the business side [ratings, firings, layoffs etc] It is fun to reminisce about the past, thanks to RA's extensive TV Guide collection. And someone is always posting alerts for programs I would want to view but would otherwise have missed.

March 10, 2021 4:37 pm  #7

mace wrote:

Yes there is SOWNY! I find this site interesting and informative on everything from the the technical side of media to the business side [ratings, firings, layoffs etc] It is fun to reminisce about the past, thanks to RA's extensive TV Guide collection. And someone is always posting alerts for programs I would want to view but would otherwise have missed.

SOWNY, Steve Faguy's website, and Scott Fybush's website are the three best sources here for up-to-date news/info on what's happening.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 10, 2021 4:38 pm)

March 10, 2021 9:27 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting how in the UK newspapers (both the tabloid rags and "quality" products) still sell by the truckload every day.  Good Morning UK on ITV, which is the CTV of the UK, likely has great morning ratings. Look at the huge set they have.   Begs the questions why don't our papers sell?  And why is it that nobody ever talks about anything they saw on any morning television shows in Canada?

Possibly because British media don't have a large, dominant, accessible, english speaking media empire directly on their southern border.

March 10, 2021 9:44 pm  #9

In Phase wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Possibly because British media don't have a large, dominant, accessible, english speaking media empire directly on their southern border.

True but Canadians don't buy US newspapers.  Even in border towns like Windsor, the Detroit Free Press is not a big seller. USA Today, New York Times and a few others tried for wide distribution here and didn't succeed.  I am not so sure how popular the US morning shows are either.  CNN likely does alright but I am not aware that a lot of people actually watch Good Morning America or the Today Show.

March 10, 2021 11:48 pm  #10

Something tells me that Mr. Morgan will surface, er, re-invent himself somewhere else... 

March 11, 2021 12:38 am  #11

paterson1 wrote:

In Phase wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

True but Canadians don't buy US newspapers.  Even in border towns like Windsor, the Detroit Free Press is not a big seller. USA Today, New York Times and a few others tried for wide distribution here and didn't succeed.  I am not so sure how popular the US morning shows are either.  CNN likely does alright but I am not aware that a lot of people actually watch Good Morning America or the Today Show.

Back in the 90s I recall the Detroit Free Press being widely available in London convenience stores - the Becker’s in my neighbourhood carried it, as did two other stores nearby. I’ve heard of it still being available in London within the past 10 years.

It must’ve had an audience, even if it was a smaller niche audience, if a number of stores carried it for a long time. I know the Detroit Tigers had a large following in London, particularly among longtime residents who lived before the Blue Jays came along.

March 11, 2021 12:29 pm  #12

Piers Morgan storms off set and quits ITV ...

.... Good riddance to bad rubbish.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

March 11, 2021 2:59 pm  #13

Typical snowflake pussy...

March 11, 2021 3:09 pm  #14

MJ Vancouver wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

In Phase wrote:

Back in the 90s I recall the Detroit Free Press being widely available in London convenience stores - the Becker’s in my neighbourhood carried it, as did two other stores nearby. I’ve heard of it still being available in London within the past 10 years.

It must’ve had an audience, even if it was a smaller niche audience, if a number of stores carried it for a long time. I know the Detroit Tigers had a large following in London, particularly among longtime residents who lived before the Blue Jays came along.

I lived in London as well and remember the Detroit Free Press in most convenience stores.  But it didn't sell.   I was working for the Blackburn Group who owned the London Free Press and they knew exactly how well all competing papers were doing in London.  All of the Toronto dailies were available in town as well, you could even pick up a KW Record and Hamilton Spectator in east London in a few places.  But most stores that had 10 Detroit Free Press papers in the rack were sending 8 or 9 back the next day. 

In Windsor, the Windsor Star had at one point had 87% penetration in their market which was unheard of.  And most households don't buy or subscribe to more than one paper.  Even though the Detroit Free Press had a visible presence in town with availability, the actual number sold daily wasn't as high as you would think.  But still better than the Toronto Star or Sun. 

When I worked in Guelph, most people thought that the KW Record sold well in the city since they were everywhere.  In fact the biggest competitors by far for the Guelph Mercury were the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail.

Last edited by paterson1 (March 11, 2021 3:11 pm)

March 11, 2021 6:04 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I lived in London as well and remember the Detroit Free Press in most convenience stores.  But it didn't sell.   I was working for the Blackburn Group who owned the London Free Press and they knew exactly how well all competing papers were doing in London.  All of the Toronto dailies were available in town as well, you could even pick up a KW Record and Hamilton Spectator in east London in a few places.  But most stores that had 10 Detroit Free Press papers in the rack were sending 8 or 9 back the next day. 

In Windsor, the Windsor Star had at one point had 87% penetration in their market which was unheard of.  And most households don't buy or subscribe to more than one paper.  Even though the Detroit Free Press had a visible presence in town with availability, the actual number sold daily wasn't as high as you would think.  But still better than the Toronto Star or Sun. 

When I worked in Guelph, most people thought that the KW Record sold well in the city since they were everywhere.  In fact the biggest competitors by far for the Guelph Mercury were the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail.

Years ago I worked in a store in London that sold the London Free Press (exclusively). There were always leftovers that got sent back the next day, almost every day - Saturdays sometimes being an exception where we'd sell out.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 11, 2021 6:05 pm)

March 11, 2021 6:49 pm  #16

That's normal for the local daily paper.  Most people who really want the paper in London would subscribe, and they get a better price. Saturday was the big day for papers since that was the day with more sections (TV Guide, comics, travel, real estate etc.) and most papers didn't publish on Sunday.   And you are right, some people just want the Saturday paper so you have more single copy sales in stores.   The Detroit Free Press never had subscription delivery in London as far as I know.  I remember that they were in some convenience stores when I lived there.  Back then the London Free Press was a bit of a powerhouse and even had a morning and evening edition. The afternoon edition was never as popular and was dropped towards end of 1981.  But the morning edition always had a healthy circulation, mostly subscribers.

March 11, 2021 7:27 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

That's normal for the local daily paper.  Most people who really want the paper in London would subscribe, and they get a better price. Saturday was the big day for papers since that was the day with more sections (TV Guide, comics, travel, real estate etc.) and most papers didn't publish on Sunday.   And you are right, some people just want the Saturday paper so you have more single copy sales in stores.   The Detroit Free Press never had subscription delivery in London as far as I know.  I remember that they were in some convenience stores when I lived there.  Back then the London Free Press was a bit of a powerhouse and even had a morning and evening edition. The afternoon edition was never as popular and was dropped towards end of 1981.  But the morning edition always had a healthy circulation, mostly subscribers.

I remember the LFP had a Sunday edition for about a decade. It was launched in April 1998 but I believe was dropped in the late 2000s.

It was a very small paper, with heavy emphasis on sports.

March 14, 2021 8:08 pm  #18

I remember when Piers Morgan hosted a "Live" talk show replacing Larry King Live's former spot on CNN. Piers Morgan's show only lasted three years until it got cancelled due to declining ratings. 

Last edited by Scorpio42 (March 14, 2021 8:08 pm)

March 14, 2021 9:47 pm  #19

Scorpio42 wrote:

I remember when Piers Morgan hosted a "Live" talk show replacing Larry King Live's former spot on CNN. Piers Morgan's show only lasted three years until it got cancelled due to declining ratings. 

Larry King (RIP) left some huge shoes to fill when he left CNN in 2010. I recall expectations were very high for Piers when he joined CNN but he was no Larry King.

March 14, 2021 10:03 pm  #20

Morgan's contract with ITV was up this year and he had already said he hadn't intended to renew it. That may have been a negotiating ploy but if it wasn't I wouldn't rule out that Morgan's dramatics are not unrelated with his future plans. It doesn't sound like ITV simply terminated him without severance - if they had there'd be a lawsuit. It's more likely they agreed to pay out the remainder of his contract. If that's the case, Morgan has lost nothing financially and he may have positioned himself for a move to the GB News, the new conservative channel Andrew Neil is setting up next year, or for a move to Murdoch's Sky News. 

So probably no financial loss, publicity (and added value?) for a possible move to a right wing channel, and he gets to rest and relax for the rest of the year. 

Andrew Neil eyes up Piers Morgan for GB News and says he would be a 'huge asset'

Last edited by Hansa (March 14, 2021 10:05 pm)