sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2021 2:17 pm  #1

Weather – Or Not

I’m one of those viewers that agrees with many surveys – weather on a TV newscast is one of the most important elements of the broadcast, especially in the winter in a country like Canada. And I get that forecasting the future is still a bit of an inexact science, even to this day. But the thing that drives me crazy isn’t that they get it wrong. It's  that they never explain why.

Case in point: for the past three or four days, we’ve been mired in the middle of some gloomy, grey conditions, with every day as dreary as the last. Cut to Saturday’s TV weather people (primarily CFTO, but they’ve all done it.)

On the weekend, they told viewers to wait a few days and the sun would return by Tuesday. The same forecast was issued on Sunday. Monday arrived and all of a sudden the predictions changed. “One more day of clouds,” they told us, “before things get better and brighter by Wednesday.” The graphics showed mostly sunny skies were in the offing then. But that's not what they'd said 24 and 48 hours earlier. 

Cut to today – now not only are they telling us that it will continue to be gloomy and grey, but that it will be Friday before we can all sing "Here Comes The Sun.".

My issue with this isn’t exactly that they were wrong four days in a row and telling us incorrect information. It’s that they never have to own up to getting it incorrect. I’d like to see an explanation of how they predicted three days of sun that never came. What happened? Did another front move in? Did a system stall out?

But instead, like a federal politician, they seem incapable of acknowledging they were wrong. The fact they blew it is never, ever mentioned on air. I, for one, would like an explanation of why those sunny days they promised us never came to pass. This week was especially egregious, since their predictions were incorrect for at least three days in a row. And who knows if it will really clear up by Friday. If it doesn't, you won't hear a word about it on your local newscast.

I don’t entirely blame the on-air weather folk. They get their info from Environment Canada. But they owe it to their viewers to explain why they got it so consistently wrong. It hurts their already limited credibility. And, if you’ll pardon the expression, clouds my judgment of them.

January 6, 2021 2:58 pm  #2

Re: Weather – Or Not

Can't say why they don't admit a screw up, but can say that around London, surrounded by the lakes, is one of the most difficult places to accurately predict weather any time of the year.  I'm sure some of it is the same for the GTA.  I did hear Frankie this morning state that he thought we were going to have sunshine today, but the clouds were going to hang on a while longer.  Not an admission per se, but an acknowledgment of a past weather forecast.

That said, I did see the sun for about 90 seconds this morning.. bright and refreshing!!!

Last edited by pinto (January 6, 2021 2:58 pm)

January 6, 2021 2:59 pm  #3

Sun has been shinning out here in Burlington for the past 45 mins. or so... 

January 6, 2021 3:11 pm  #4

Please send it this way. I forget what it looks like!

January 6, 2021 5:18 pm  #5

Weather forecasting has been impacted by Covid-19. How so? Meteorologists rely on weather data from many different locations, including commercial aircraft. With fewer planes in the air, there's less data being gathered from the atmosphere, and there has been some evidence of less accurate weather forecasting since March 2020 as a result.

January 6, 2021 5:46 pm  #6

Y'all need to upgrade your weather radars....

"Doppler 4000...  Its twice as good as Doppler 2000"

January 6, 2021 6:00 pm  #7

Weather is the only job where you can make mistakes over and over and not get punished.

Its been a weird winter....primarily in the GTA its like Miami compared to 40 mins north and onwards where a proper winter resides, thus due to the lakes.

January 6, 2021 7:39 pm  #8

One could grant benefit of the doubt if ALL weather sources report the same thing. 
Eventually though, one has to wonder who is more accurate in delivering a good weather report.

Today 9:40 am  #9

Another case where a proofreader would have been handy...But it kind of does get the message across.

https://i.ibb.co/kJnW9gb/wx.jpg

Today 10:35 pm  #10

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut but 5G may have a serious impact on weather forecasting.  Weather forecasting is made of weather modeling from all over the world pieced together to make predictions.  In recent decades the modelling has improved dramatically, but one of the frequencies 5G will use is 23.8 gigahertz which is a frequency where water vapour emits a weak signal.  This could greatly affect our ability to measure and predict humidity, which can throw all sorts of data points out of whack.  So weather forecasting may get worse in the near future.  The FCC under Trump has disputed this.

Last edited by Prod Guy (Today 10:36 pm)