sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2020 10:29 pm  #1

Remember When CKEY Went Country? And A Few Other Great Finds

I keep finding interesting stuff on those high shelves. I remember how hard it was to find CKEY charts when they were Top 40. But I may have discovered something even more unusual - EY charts from when they were country. They were printed in the Toronto Sun, one from Oct. 1992, the other from a year later. In case those dates don't ring a bell, those were the legendary months when the Jays won their two World Series, which I suspect is why I kept those papers. 

Anyway, here's a look at Country 59, a definite relic from a long time ago. 

Speaking of strange anomalies, here's one that almost defies explanation. It looks like CJCL may have had a conflict with the Jays playing, so they had to shunt the Leafs over to another station. Who got the call? CFTR? Nope. CFRB? Not them either. Surely CKTB? Uh-uh. The answer is listed below in an ad and I'm betting the station never had so many listeners. 

Finally, a few other odds and ends.

Anyone remember when The Simpsons actually aired on Thursday nights? Here's proof from October 1993.

It's Election Night 1993 and Global's Got It. I remember Peter Kent from the CBC and as a local MP. But I didn't remember he worked for Global at some point. 

In contrast, here's how City TV pumped up their decidedly different election coverage, a very hip attitude. 

I had never heard the story below before. Mark Hebscher, at the time working for Global's Sportsline, was booted out of the Jays' first World Series for getting into an altercation with a SkyDome security guard. Anyone remember this? 

And last but certainly least, CBC tried for years to find a successful variety show, utilizing Peter Gzowski in late night at one point and eventually Ralph Benmergui in prime time. Mercifully, both have been lost to history, minus this promo ad. Despite the copy, I somehow don't quite believe this was ever "Canada's Hottest New Show."

December 26, 2020 10:54 pm  #2

Re: Remember When CKEY Went Country? And A Few Other Great Finds

Does SOWNY  have a Penalty Box?
Does SOWNY  have a Naughty Step?
Does SOWNY  have Stocks and Pillory?

RadioActive is sure due for reminding us all how old we're getting !  : )) .. 

Last edited by g121 (December 26, 2020 10:55 pm)

December 27, 2020 3:18 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I keep finding interesting stuff on those high shelves. I remember how hard it was to find CKEY charts when they were Top 40. But I may have discovered something even more unusual - EY charts from when they were country. 

Actually, 
When KEY 590 vanished, so did CKEY. 
They instantly became CKYC-  CK Your Country 59.

As for Leafs on CHIN AM radio, doesn't this go back to the days when ownership rules were restricted to ONE AM and ONE FM? (instead of the current 2 AM and 2 FM?)
If so, it makes sense to hand the Leafs over to a station that is never going to be an intended competitor, head on or not. 
Even if I'm wrong about the timing, good for them for not handing the leafs over to a major (English language) player in the market.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 27, 2020 9:12 am  #4

I actually knew that about CKYC. But I have something of a memory blindspot when it comes to CKEY. It was my first real radio job and I suppose I will always think of that version of 590 as CKEY.

As for the CHIN/Leafs thing, I wonder if that ever happened again. It was certainly an odd choice. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Leaf game listeners probably had no idea where or what CHIN was. 

The other question - was the game broadcast on both AM and FM? The ad doesn't entirely make it clear.

December 27, 2020 9:42 am  #5

I actually signed off Key 590, started the heartbeat cart and went to the meeting...

December 27, 2020 10:06 am  #6

I was long gone by then, but what a great view from the 25th floor, top of the Toronto Star building, at 1 Yonge St. We were one of the first to know something was up in the Mississauga train derailment, because we could actually see the smoke in the distance from that giant newsroom window.

I wasn't a fan of the music, but what a terrific place it was to work back then, circa 1977. 

December 27, 2020 2:00 pm  #7

I also don't recall any great jealousies or divisions when I was there from about 1977-1980. Everyone was a pro and it made me better at my job. 

On another topic, I think I may have just found the answer to my own question about whether the Leafs on CHIN was a one-time thing. Apparently not. The ad above was for Oct. 29th vs. Tampa. This one was a bit earlier than that, and involved Chicago. 

How what I believe was Telemedia that owned CJCL at the time ever came to an agreement with Johnny Lombardi must be an interesting tale. 

December 27, 2020 3:00 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Actually, 
When KEY 590 vanished, so did CKEY. 
They instantly became CKYC-  CK Your Country 59.

CKEY was also used at 101.1 FM in the Niagara Falls area from 1991-2011, and is currently used at a low-power 50 watt tourist information radio station in Barrie, Ontario. 
https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=CKEY-FM&ccode=2&latd=&lond=&city=&state=&country=US&zip=&party=&party_type=LICEN&fac_type=ALL
https://www.broadcasting-history.ca/listing_and_histories/radio/ckey-fm

The CKYC call sign now belongs to a country music station at 93.7 FM in Owen Sound, Ontario as CKYC-FM. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKYC-FM 

Last edited by Scorpio42 (December 27, 2020 3:04 pm)

December 27, 2020 8:00 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I also don't recall any great jealousies or divisions when I was there from about 1977-1980. Everyone was a pro and it made me better at my job. 

On another topic, I think I may have just found the answer to my own question about whether the Leafs on CHIN was a one-time thing. Apparently not. The ad above was for Oct. 29th vs. Tampa. This one was a bit earlier than that, and involved Chicago. 

How what I believe was Telemedia that owned CJCL at the time ever came to an agreement with Johnny Lombardi must be an interesting tale. 

Not entirely unheard of to have pro sports on an ethnic station. CFMT had NFL football at one point in the early 90s. Though they did have other English shows in those days, notably Jeopardy! and Arsenio Hall.

December 27, 2020 8:07 pm  #10

Charlie wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Anyone remember when The Simpsons actually aired on Thursday nights? Here's proof from October 1993.[/size]

It's Election Night 1993 and Global's Got It. I remember Peter Kent from the CBC and as a local MP. But I didn't remember he worked for Global at some point. 

In contrast, here's how City TV pumped up their decidedly different election coverage, a very hip attitude. 

I had never heard the story below before. Mark Hebscher, at the time working for Global's Sportsline, was booted out of the Jays' first World Series for getting into an altercation with a SkyDome security guard. Anyone remember this? 

And last but certainly least, CBC tried for years to find a successful variety show, utilizing Peter Gzowski in late night at one point and eventually Ralph Benmergui in prime time. Mercifully, both have been lost to history, minus this promo ad. Despite the copy, I somehow don't quite believe this was ever "Canada's Hottest New Show."

When you think about it, Hebscher's career never really went any further following this 'incident'.  I remember him doing some sports stuff on Hamilton TV years later, but not much else.  Can't say he didn't go out of his way to own it, and admit guilt, but the damage was done.

I remember those days of Global well - I remember discovering The Simpsons when it was on Thursday nights. Global started carrying it in its second season; its first season may not have been widely seen across Ontario outside areas that could get FOX, but one station that did air it was CFPL in London, which was independent (and not doing so well) at that point and aired whatever it could get its hands on.

Peter Kent moved back to Canada in 1992, I think from a career at ABC News, and he co-anchored Global’s 6:00 Report and The World Tonight with Jane Gilbert for two years. Global then launched its own national newscast in 1994 called First National which was anchored by Peter Kent. That ran until 2001 when it was effectively replaced by BCTV’s Canada Tonight which was retooled as Global National - and that show also brought an ABC News correspondent back to Canada in Kevin Newman. I believe Jane Gilbert remained at Global until 1997 and was let go along with Mike Anscombe who anchored 5:30.

December 28, 2020 4:49 pm  #11

This doesn't belong anywhere but it seems only fair to stick it here. Apparently, this really happened and it's what can go on air when you don't proofread your board. I think the station is in Albany, N.Y. 

December 28, 2020 6:19 pm  #12

There is indeed a FOX23 in Albany, NY. WXXA.

December 28, 2020 9:44 pm  #13

Charlie wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I had never heard the story below before. Mark Hebscher, at the time working for Global's Sportsline, was booted out of the Jays' first World Series for getting into an altercation with a SkyDome security guard.

When you think about it, Hebscher's career never really went any further following this 'incident'.  I remember him doing some sports stuff on Hamilton TV years later, but not much else.  Can't say he didn't go out of his way to own it, and admit guilt, but the damage was done.

Mark also did a late-afternoon show, Square Off, with Donna Skelly on CHCH. They booked some pretty heavy-duty guests.
There was the podcast, too, with Liz West. And he wrote a book:

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamilton-region/2020/04/28/mark-hebscher-was-about-to-go-on-a-book-tour-to-talk-about-canadas-greatest-unknown-athlete-and-then-.html

Last edited by mike marshall (December 28, 2020 10:03 pm)

December 28, 2020 9:54 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

They had a pre-existing relationship. Lombardi was at CKFH before he started CHIN. 

December 29, 2020 3:42 pm  #15

December 29, 2020 5:05 pm  #16

I have some trepidation about broaching this subject, because I don’t want to launch a series of “worst a-hole of my life” stories. But somewhere in this thread, a guy I might nominate for that title was brought up.

I won’t mention his name, but I can’t recall anyone more idiotic. Here’s why. It came at a time in the 80s, when – as happens to just about anyone in broadcasting – the station I worked for suddenly changed format and almost everyone who worked there was fired in one day. It’s never a good time to look for a radio job in Toronto, but this was an especially bad era.

I was making phone calls and using contacts, when after several months, I got a lead on a possible opening at CKEY. It seemed like a good fit. I’d worked there for three years previously before leaving for a better position, many of the staffers knew me and liked my work and in the interim, I had produced a nationally syndicated show that won many awards.

The guy I was supposed to talk to had worked at a station that carried it and was familiar with my work. Seemed like the perfect set-up to land a gig. I talked to the guy on the phone, he remembered me and said he’d be happy to set up a meeting. Great! I thought I had a really good shot.

On the appointed day, I ventured all the way down to 1 Yonge St., took the elevator up to the 25th floor, sat down, and waited. And waited. And waited. After about an hour and a half, this guy came out and ushered me into his office.

We talked about my experience, what kind of gig I was seeking and he recalled the show I’d been working on. And then he proceeded to tear everything he remembered of my work (much of it incorrectly) to shreds. Seems he hated everything I’d ever done, he despised the kickers we used, complained about the background music, the topics we did – the works. Despite the national acclaim that the show earned, everything about it was apprently rotten in his eyes.

As I watched my chances at landing a job disappear, and realizing I could never work for him in any event, I just decided to go for it. “If that’s the way you feel about my work, why in the world did you have me come all the way down here, when it was clearly for nothing?”

I will never forget his answer until the day I die.

“Oh,” he responded nonchalantly. “I just wanted to see what you looked like.”

And with that, I got up and walked out.

In the end, it worked out. Not long after, I landed a gig in local TV news that went on for more than 25 years and where I made more money than I ever would have in radio.

I’ve met all types in the biz over the years, most of them terrific. Though our encounter was brief, I believe this guy was the worst of the worst. What a creep.

January 31, 2021 12:22 am  #17

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 31, 2021 12:22 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.