sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2020 6:59 am  #1

PBS struggles with the future as it once carved the path for T.V.

Here is an interesting read about PBS in the NY Times this day...PBS were considered visionary in it's programming and how they did T.V., now with the challenges many media are having, funding is a critical piece.

I personally find their programming is of no interest and they are not compelling enough to watch. In fact, from a marketing point of you (and it is probably because I don't watch them). I am not sure what their positioning  strategy is? What do I get when I watch them? What do they stand for?

Here is the link to the article for you to look at...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/arts/television/pbs-future.html

My questions for group discussion are these...

Do you watch PBS?

What programs do you find of value?

What can they do better?

What would make them more relevant in today's crowded marketplace?

Do you donate?

Have a good week ahead Big Yella! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 13, 2020 7:25 am  #2

Re: PBS struggles with the future as it once carved the path for T.V.

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I personally find their programming is of no interest and they are not compelling enough to watch,     My questions for group discussion are these...

Do you watch PBS?

What programs do you find of value?

What can they do better?

1,  Yes
2.   BBC world news, 5:30 - 6:00 and PBS News Hour 6 - 7:00 from ch.1204 on Bell satellite
3.   Who's better?

October 13, 2020 9:38 am  #3

American Expertence, Frontline, Nova, POV, and Indepedent Lens are the main PBS series I will check out each week. I do miss The Magic of Oil Painting with Bob Ross. I found the show very peaceful and relaxing to watch as "Happy Little Clouds" magically appeared. Yes, I have donated twice to PBS. Once to WNED to receive the DVD "Don't Touch That Dial:Great Moments In Local Broadcasting" and once to KCTS to obtain the DVD "Airplay: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio" Generally, I would never consider donating to PBS unless their thank-you gifts were of interest to me.

October 13, 2020 9:45 am  #4

PBS News Hour is about the only news program left on US television that is actual news and not news as entertainment. Frontline is a great documentary series as is the American Experience and American Masters - the latter two especially as the History channel and Bravo (both here and in the US) and A&E have all turned to reality mush. Excellent science programming too. 

October 13, 2020 10:10 am  #5

I would agree with most of the above (although, sorry Mace, I think that Bob Ross show may have literally been like watching paint dry!) but there's another side to this.

I believe cable stations and streaming services have eaten some of PBS' lunch by snatching so many British TV shows that were a big part of their schedules. Britbox, Acorn and BBC Canada, along with a few others, have taken a large number of imported shows that were the network's (and Channel 17 in particular!) bread and butter. 

I miss many of them and I'm betting I'm not alone.  

October 13, 2020 10:45 am  #6

I don't normally watch PBS.  Though a few weeks ago I did watch most of the PBS Newshour,  first time   in about 20 years.  PBS and TVO are somewhat similar in the daytime with kids programming. In this area TVO seems to be more up to date with newer kids shows.   PBS Detroit features a fair bit of Canadian produced kids programming.

PBS Detroit which I receive, is slicker than I recall WNED Buffalo as being. However, their local Detroit programming, which they have a fair bit of, is not really of interest to me.    I would watch a program on auto history or music of Detroit.  I know they have had some of these but have never noticed any when surfing by.

Detroit PBS doesn't cater much to a Canadian audience like Buffalo does, so donations from Canada I would think are nothing like the volume for WNED.   Would I donate, no since I rarely watch.

October 13, 2020 10:56 am  #7

PBS is a good home for children's programming. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 13, 2020 11:10 am  #8

They have some excellent documentaries, including American Masters. It's a very good network. Almost a throwback to the days when TV was less frantic.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 13, 2020 11:47 am  #9

I have watched PBS for all of the above reasons.  But now that I have Acord and Britbox as well as MHZ Choice (The foreign streaming service)  I watch PBS much less.  But in their heyday shows like Frontline and Masterpiece theatre where tops.  Bye the way... the real painter guy to watch was Bill Alexander who was the mentor of Bob Ross.  Alexander was so mezmerizing  to watch because despite his name he was extremely German, ja?  Also he invented that painting system... Ross just ripped it off. 

October 13, 2020 1:55 pm  #10

I really enjoy PBS programming.  It is the only US network whose programmers consider their viewers to be
intelligenrt adults.  Their news and documentaries are outstanding.  Frontline ‘s investigative in depth reporting is better than 60 minutes.  Their science and nature programs like Nova are superb. The dramas like Masterpiece are
outstanding British series. It is the only regularly scheduled TV network programming that I watch on a regular basis.
I find that most US network TV offerings far too juvenile.  My other sources for video entertainment include HBO/Crave, Netflix, Prime, Acorn, BritBox, Tubi and Kanopy.  I donate to WNED occasionally.

October 13, 2020 3:53 pm  #11

Frontline,  American Experience,  Nova,  American Masters,  POV,  Independent Lens,  Ken Burns Docs.,  Midsomer Murders,  Vera,  Poirot and locally sourced shows about New York State and Southern Ontario towns, history etc. 

Even with all these,  I know I am forgetting others.

PBS has always been a must have channel for me.

October 14, 2020 7:10 am  #12

Media Observer wrote:

Frontline,  American Experience,  Nova,  American Masters,  POV,  Independent Lens,  Ken Burns Docs.,  Midsomer Murders,  Vera,  Poirot and locally sourced shows about New York State and Southern Ontario towns, history etc. 

Even with all these,  I know I am forgetting others.

PBS has always been a must have channel for me.

I agree with all those reasons MO, especially the Ken Burns docs, I think I have seen just about all of those.

I'll add that they do a lot of good non news informational programming like America's Test Kitchen, This Old House and Motortrend.

PBS is a must have channel for me too, although I admit I don't watch as much as I used to. But then with all the other choices available I don't watch any network as much as I used to.

Last edited by Tq345 (October 14, 2020 7:10 am)

October 14, 2020 10:04 am  #13

grilled.cheese wrote:

My mom likes PBS

http://wned.org/donate/